2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthitic Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Jake_f16
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthitic Oil Question

I have a 06 F150 and I am going to change over to a full synthitic oil but am trying to find out what brand is better if anyone is running this type of oil. Should I go with Lucas, or Royal Purple.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Neither are worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. You'd be fine with any name brand full syn 5w-20. Motorcraft would be completely sufficient.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Neither are worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. You'd be fine with any name brand full syn 5w-20. Motorcraft would be completely sufficient.

What Chandler said!

Check for MC 5w20 syn blend at your local Walmart (filters too).

Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
What Chandler said!

Did that just last week. 5 qt jug and an extra qt, MC filter and I was out the door for less then $25.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM
driller tom
Senior User
I run amsoil and filter in my truck and I love it! I change it every 10-15000 miles and when I drop the oil it still looks new. The down side is the expense it cost me about $100.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Yeah, 4 times the 'normal' oil change cost is definitely a downside, especially when you're only getting 2-3 times the normal OCI.

Ever consider getting an UOA instead of going on mileage? Might save you a lot of money.

One last question, does the Amsoil meet Ford's stated specs?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the popcorn this should be a long run....

Most all Snys Ols are good. If you run 10k to 15 k and use UOA for trending then you have a choice of (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Shaffer, or Mobile 1) my favorites. In years past Mobile quit running the one year oil change ads due to revenue loss.

Like stock investments your choices may vary depending on your style of vehicle use. BTW oil change for Amsoil should NOT cost $100.... that's what I pay for my PSD oil changes. 6qts and a filter should not run over$55 or so. with the new 7500 mile oil changes Amsoil has a lower cost XL series.

But when it comes to the open question of the "BEST" only you can answer that.

However yo can spend some time at the "bob is the oil guy" web site and get up to speed very quick on all the major oils and then that should help you out. Due to personal experience with the results of my UOA for my PSD, I will use Amsoil 5-20 and run for the year. Then will look at adding a oil by-pass filter like the oil burner.

Hope this helps this can be a touchy subject for many (guilty also long ago) ...

Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shotgunz
What Chandler said!

Don't use cheap filters.....you get what you pay for. Save yourself the hassel and cut apart your flavor filter to see for yourself.

Next thing you'll say is to fill up at the discount bottom of the barge gas station, or to eat chocolate sandwhich cookies over real Oreos.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:41 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
Don't use cheap filters.....you get what you pay for. Save yourself the hassel and cut apart your flavor filter to see for yourself.

Next thing you'll say is to fill up at the discount bottom of the barge gas station, or to eat chocolate sandwhich cookies over real Oreos.
I'm guessing that the person who made the post about Motorcraft oil at Walmart was also implying the purchase of Motorcraft filters (not Walmart house brand), which are great filters with some design advantages over many more expensive types. The Motorcraft FL820S is a great filter for Ford engines.

George

Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I'm guessing that the person who made the post about Motorcraft oil at Walmart was also implying the purchase of Motorcraft filters (not Walmart house brand), which are great filters with some design advantages over many more expensive types. The Motorcraft FL820S is a great filter for Ford engines.

George
I can assure you that Charlie is implying the MC FL820 filter, and NOT a Walmart branded filter (does that even exist?)

Walmart is a great place to find MotorCraft parts at a good price.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:39 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Ya'll are correct. I should have been clearer.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Jake_f16
Junior User
Thanks for everyones input I did go with the royal purple and changed the plugs in my truck. Wow what a change in how the engine feels it looks like 3 pulgs where not firing all the time.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake_f16
Thanks for everyones input I did go with the royal purple and changed the plugs in my truck. Wow what a change in how the engine feels it looks like 3 pulgs where not firing all the time.
Jake about the plugs how many miles on the clock before the change out and what brand/type did you use? I see platinum tips and also the "V" notched types plugs out there. I think they are trying to get close to what gear-heads do, called 'indexing' plugs with washer to get the open portion aligned with the intake valve for better flame propagation.

Thanks.....C-man

PS oil does make a difference. I used to use 15-40 Amsoil in my PSD and then went to 5-40 and it's a new ball game what a difference. So, now I will stick w/ 5-40 but will hold judgment until the UOA results come in. "Bout nuther 3 months or so to see how the RV towing and daily use holds up.

Glad your tune up is giving you such good results.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Muddedprairie
Senior User
109,000 on my clock and have used ford 5-20 since day one.. Just towed my 30 ft camper from jersey to Florida and truck temp was about 205 210 most of the trip.... 8.4 mpg's (not happy about that) thinkin of changin to royal purple myself... And for you guys that are only puttin 6qt's in your truck.. mine takes 7+... same motor... also i add marvel mystery oil to it as well..... have changed my oil ever 3k since first oil change.

Mark

Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Jake_f16
Junior User
C-man,
I change my plugs around every 60,000 to prevent breaking them off and that is what the manufatures recommend also with aluminum heads. I run the motorcraft platinums that are the new style for just put out for the 5.4l they are about 8 bucks each at checkers auto parts.

I am just debating about every how many miles I should change my oil now running Royal purple. I have heard once a year and also every 60,000 what do you recommend.

Thanks Jake

Quick Reply: Synthitic Oil Question