Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a bronco and have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 12:17 PM
BradB1221
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking at purchasing a bronco in the next few months and have some ?'s I want the push button 4 wheel drive version like the explorers had what was the first year that that was available? Also i would like the ones with the removable top what years did that come on and when did they quit having that option? Any other info or buying tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
brad

Old 03-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Badlees
Freshman User

If you don't mind me asking, why would you prefer an electronic push button 4 wheel drive when they are less reliable than the mechanical engager? You can remove the top on 1991's thru 1996's, you will just have to spend the $3.25 for the T-40 tamperproof Torx bit and $5.00 for the T60 Torx bit. Just because it's electronic doesn't mean it's better or more reliable. I would concentrate on getting a solid motor with no leaks and change the autohubs as soon as you get it.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:34 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second that. I would go with manual (and if worse comes to worse, buy the auto 4x4 and put manual hubs on, thats what I did). You just have to lock the hubs like normal, but can shift in and out at any point while driving. I wish I had bought manual in the first place. Also, go for the 351 (5.8) V8. It will give you enough power to throw it around pretty easy. The 5.0 will give you a little better mileage, but who needs mileage anyway . Depending on where you live, you better check for rusting around fenders, and the <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">tailgate</a>. These are real solid vehicles and there isnt much to watch out for. Other than that, see if the owner can get you records. The tranny (if youre looking 92-96) need to be flushed about every 30k or so. I really cant think of anything else. I have always looked for a body in great condition, because its alot easier to replace a motor than having to 'fix' someone elses neglect.

Rich

Old 03-25-2003, 02:57 PM
yosemite
Senior User

I agree. Manual hubs, 351 V8, look for excessive rust, and the tops come off of all Broncos! Although it's harder with 92-96 models b/c of the torx bits, the 3rd brake light in the middle of the top, and the seatbelts actually connect to the top. I like the look of the 87-91 model better as well.

Brian

Old 03-25-2003, 04:40 PM
BradB1221
Freshman User

The main reason i wanted the auto locking hubs was because it is easy to hit a button. Did i understand you right when you said get manual hubs and leave them locked in and just hit the 4 wheel drive button when you want 4x4, i thought you couldn't do that, i thought you had to get out and lock and unlock them everytime you wanted in and out of 4 wheel drive? Im not arguing just tyring to understand. Also what is the easiest way to tell if it has the 351 is there a certain digit in the VIN for easy telling? thanks for all the info and help so for it is very appreciated.

Brad

Old 03-25-2003, 05:09 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator

That button on your dash is the same thing as a floor lever (kind of). Yes, you have to unlock and lock you hubs accordingly. You can run in two wheel drive with your front hubs locked, it just creates more drag. If I think I am going to encounter a situation where 4x4 is going to be needed, I just lock them before I leave. Yes, push button is so much easier. It only takes one 'stuck' to **** you off and want to switch to manuals (My bronco got stuck in this little stupid ditch that any respectible truck could have gotten out of in 4wd, had to call a buddy of mine who drives a Chebby . Needless to say, I still catch grief for that one.)

Rich

Old 03-25-2003, 05:12 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator

As for telling if its a 351, if youre at the truck, just popp the hood. The intake should say something like 'Ford 5.8' or something like that. Also, yes you can tell what motor it is by the vin number on the door <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">sticker</a>. Just run it through a carfax (or post it here), and the fellas here should be able to tell you real quick.

Rich

Old 03-25-2003, 05:17 PM
BradB1221
Freshman User

yeah my dads old 94 explorer had the push button 4 wheel drive always worked until we needed it, it broke after a big snow here in omaha.

If you take the top off of a bronco is it hard to get it back on? Also i have a friend who was a 72 blazer with a removable top but he has never taken it off because his dad says it will never fit or seal the same again. his top is fiberglass i believe so does that have anything to do with the top warping and not fitting right? What are the bronco tops made out of on the 92-96. fiberglass on metal?

Old 03-25-2003, 05:20 PM
BradB1221
Freshman User

About the 351 i realize the newer ones are fuel injected and probably have the engine size on the intake, I have been looking at some older trucks lately that are carbed and had no <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">sticker</a>s so i had to look at the VIN to tell the difference from the <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">302 </a>to the 351.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2003, 05:31 PM
dsickles
Senior User

the top will seal correctly if you store it correctly, you should put it on 4 2x4s to preserve the weatherstriping, also the top weighs about 120 pounds and is made out of fiberglass, it uslualy requres 2-3 popele to take off and to put back on. good luck with your puchace!

Old 03-25-2003, 10:31 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I remove & install mine alone, store it leaned up on the rear corners, and I've never had a problem with it.

Old 03-26-2003, 08:10 AM
Badlees
Freshman User

You are going to love your bronco! As for the hubs, change them out with Manuals when you have the money. I just helped my little brother put his top back on last night and it only took about 5 minutes. We use a coordless drill to zip the screws back in place. It's a Bronco, you should take the top off and enjoy it. It sealed right back up but he wasn't happy that he had to put it back on because of some thunderstorms moving through tonight. Anyway, it's not any harder with manual hubs or lever controlled 4x4. The best thing about those features is that you know when you are locked in and engaged and it's going to work. Keep it simple so it works when you need it.

Old 03-26-2003, 08:52 AM
SmaulzEB
Senior User

Welcome to 4x4ing Brad! It's good to see another Omaha'n on the boards.

Definitely pay attention to the advice you're getting here. These guys have been through it all and definitely know their stuff! I'm definitely going to agree with the stuff offered already regarding the 351 and going manual. Another thing you might consider is getting a fastback top for the truck. I'm picking one up within the next month since it's finally getting warm around here. That way, you can leave the top off all summer and just snap on the canvas cover when it rains.

Also, when you remove the top, set it on a couple of 2x4's in the garage. Leaning it on it's corners is usually a no-no.

Let us know when you find your truck. If'n you ever need a wheelin' buddy, gimme a call!

Old 03-26-2003, 09:51 AM
the real Broncoholic
Senior User

the top comes off all Broncos! and its only the 92-96 ones that need the torx the top seals just fine and doesn't leak(fords targa top design) unless the seals are really old and rotted (usually on some of the 78-79 Broncos) if you plan on doing alot of wheelin then go with manual hubs and t/c
if hiway driving then the automatic stuff works fine
78-86 will be carburated 87-88 will be either efi or carb and 89-96 are efi
78-79 are preferred for wheeling they usually came with a 351 or 400
80-86 have 300, 351,<a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">302 </a>
87-91 300, 302, 351
92-96 very few have 300, more common with the <a href="http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/">302 </a>and 351
the trannies are m5od manual, aod auto, c6, c4, e4od auto this one beware of

Old 03-26-2003, 11:00 AM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Keep in mind that 94 & up, you may get a ticket for on road and no top.
Federal law mandates the third brake light. No biggy, but be warned.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a bronco and have some ?'s