Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Ford Flex Vs . . . ? Flex owners, what else did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 AM
bajadiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 2012 SE few days ago. Very happy so far. Aveaging about 22.5 MPG over 600 miles. Good size easy to drive lots of cargo. Would recommend one to anyone who's interested.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 AM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wife has a flex and it us a great great car. Very comfortable and roomy.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
I've liked the Flex since it first came out. But, I could not get my wife to consider it because she didn't like how it looked. We seriously considered the Edge and the new Explorer. Ended up going with a Mazda CX-9... bigger than an Edge, but not quite as big as the Flex.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Lex Grant
New User
Love the Flex

I actually love Fords, although I've had some of everything, many family members drive Ford. My first car was a 95 Taurus. I had just leased a 08 Fusion two months before the Flex came out and wanted to switch so bad, I wish I could have waited.

But my mom had a 06 GMC Envoy Danali and after getting the transfer case repaired under warrenty, she replaced it with a 09 Flex SEL AWD Certified used with 19000 on it. She drove it til it had bout 50000 on it, mostly highway miles. It's been everywhere! The only issue she had was the second row drivers side seat wouldn't fold down like it should. She traded it in for another Flex this time a Limited.

Recently, her Dodge Pickup went down, so she got a good deal on a 08 Taurus x Limited AWD Certified Used, 50000 miles
Still has the Flex.

My brother derived a Edge SEL

But we've had many Ford products. Aerostar, Sable wagon, Taurus, Five Hundred, F-150, Maurader, Mountaineer, Mustangs (64 & 87), Town Cars

Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Name:  20130116_163156.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  121.9 KB

Just got mine today. 13 limited awd. DIB ingot silver roof, nav,dvd, vista roof.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
I also lookd at acadia denali,tahoe ltz, buick enclave, toyota sienna.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
350 HP

In the same boat - Already have a 7.3 for towing, but with a growing family it's time for a Minion Hauler.

Looked at all the same vehicles that have been previously mentioned, but most of them are either under powered, devoid of character or vaguely resemble a supository.

I'm biased - I like horsepower, love handling and don't want to be reminded every time I get behind the wheel that I settled for a watered down disappointment because it happened to have enough interior room and fit the budget.

Decided against a 7.3 Excursion because I'd like something more civilized for the family. (I love my 7.3, it'll roast a sports car in a straight line... but it's never been accused of being civilized.)

The Explorer doesn't have nearly as much room - and Ford has no plans to offer it with Ecoboost.

The CX-9 handles well, but doesn't make as much power. (With a full load of people and gear - I still want this thing to move - I've been spoiled by my 7.3)

I'm reading about the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee - but it's not available used... and it's a Chrysler product...

Someone suggested the Expedition - but haven't driven one made in the last decade or so...

Had a chance to 'test drive' a FLEX with SEL trim as a rental. I test drove it's brains out for a week and couldn't find a complaint that Twin Turbo's wouldn't fix...

Currently hunting for one now, more than likely a used 2013... because they look so very good.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
I've liked the Flex since it first came out. But, I could not get my wife to consider it because she didn't like how it looked. We seriously considered the Edge and the new Explorer. Ended up going with a Mazda CX-9... bigger than an Edge, but not quite as big as the Flex.
How does drive? Just ran into someone who couldn't quit raving about how it handled - but haven't run into anyone that could directly compare it to the flex.

Also - how's the cargo space with the back seat up?

Originally Posted by RACERX7775
Attachment 67913

Just got mine today. 13 limited awd. DIB ingot silver roof, nav,dvd, vista roof.
That's hot - I wouldn't expect blue to look that angry. Well done sir.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Rob, thanks. I ordered it sight unseen. We already have about 2800 miles on it. I swore I would NEVER own a Flex. Now, I absolutely love it. There is so much cool stuff on it. Adaptive cruise control, parking assist, Mytouch. There is a ton of cargo room especially when the seats are folded flat. There is an ok ammount when the seats are normal. The tailgate option for the 3rd row----stupid. We dont really ever have anyone in the 3rd row, but I wanted the size of the vehicle. I bought the larger cargo organizer so things can stay in the lower well when the seats are normal.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
What is the tailgate option for the 3rd row?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Rob, if you have the 3rd row power seats, you push the button in the back by the tailgate button and it folds the seats upside down so you can sit and face out the back of the truck. I dont like it cause you will have your feet hanging on the rear bumper.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Sounds like a neat idea for tailgating - but yeah, I'd be worried about scratching the painted bumper....

How would that work for putting the dog in front of the 3rd row where he couldn't put his feet on the seats?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM
92aeroXLT
Senior User
Just bought a 2013 Flex Ecoboost... absolutely love it! The features are awesome, and it drives beautifully. I traded in my F150 for it. I suggest driving it.. it's wonderful.. and if anyone is interested, I have the headrest DVD entertainment system still in the boxes I'm willing to sell (I don't need it)!!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Pm me for details reguarding the headrests. If they are the dark charcoal gray that is...

Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Bought an Ecoboost - too buisy enjoying it to post pics

Two months later and still thrilled with it. Need to find an opportunity to drive it without the wife, kinds in car seats or the dog in the 3rd row... so that I can turn the traction control off and thoroughly enjoy an uninhabited back road. No, it's not a track car, but it still amuses the hell out of me that something this size can be that much fun to drive.

Even when I'm used to a 7.3 that roasts sports cars in a straight line, I can't help smiling every time I get behind the wheel of the flex. I don't know of anything else that is this entertaining, that is anywhere near as comfortable... and can still fit the entire family, the pet, and all the stuff they want to bring on a road trip... without having to think about the extra weight as it hustles past the end of an on-ramp... and still be civilized enough for the wife to love it as much as I do. We looked at the Mazda, but it didn't have the same horsepower as even an option. (I offered to build her a diesel excursion before we agreed on the flex.) In all fairness, it was supposed to be for her...

Quick Reply: Ford Flex Vs . . . ? Flex owners, what else did you consider?