1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking w/ a load?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
zbd74
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Braking w/ a load?

I've searched, but maybe have the incorrect search criteria? Anyways, I've a 01 F350, V10, E4OD I carry a 10'9" camper (4K wet) & pull a trailer w/ a jeep (10K). I was wondering what others have done to enhance their braking & pulling w/ similar setups?

Going up/down hills I do shift into 2nd (when necessary), but still have to get on & off the throttle/brake to maintain a controllable comfortable speed. The trailer does have 4-wheel electric brakes which are set to grab just prior to the truck brakes

The only current enhancements are a 4" rough country lift, 35" x 12.5" x 17" tires & wheels, a super-chip & K&N air filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated, oh I'm in Washington & carry this load quite often through the passes...thanks in advance again for suggestions?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Nothing can really be done to enhance engine braking much so you have to look at the brake system.

The larger tires sure do not help braking. Adding a set of slotted rotors with a set of pads designed for heavier loads will help. (like hawk SD pads) The stock pads do not have the bite of some of the aftermarket pads and fade much quicker in my experience. Larger aftermarket calipers are also available but they cost some major coin. Making sure your calipers and functioning properly and smoothly will help as will flushing the brake system with new fluid every couple years. You would be surprised what just a brake system flush can do to the brakes pedal feel.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just kidding!

Originally Posted by zbd74
I carry a 10'9" camper (4K wet) & pull a trailer w/ a jeep (10K).
The trailer does have 4-wheel electric brakes which are set to grab just prior to the truck brakes.
What kind of brake controller do you have? I have a Tekonsha Prodigy, which allows you to adjust even more pre-brake on the trailer (3 settings for that).

Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
zbd74
New User
Originally Posted by dkf
Nothing can really be done to enhance engine braking much so you have to look at the brake system.

The larger tires sure do not help braking. Adding a set of slotted rotors with a set of pads designed for heavier loads will help. (like hawk SD pads) The stock pads do not have the bite of some of the aftermarket pads and fade much quicker in my experience. Larger aftermarket calipers are also available but they cost some major coin. Making sure your calipers and functioning properly and smoothly will help as will flushing the brake system with new fluid every couple years. You would be surprised what just a brake system flush can do to the brakes pedal feel.
Yes your correct about the tires, but I'm kind of commited to them now somewhat. I'll look into the brake enhancement that you suggested, but again it could be cost prohibitive for me...Thanks for the feedback

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM
zbd74
New User
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy

Just kidding!

What kind of brake controller do you have? I have a Tekonsha Prodigy, which allows you to adjust even more pre-brake on the trailer (3 settings for that).
Heck, already have one of those anchors for the jeep (j/k)...but I utilize the same controller...I'll just have to continue to do as I do now slow down & stay under control going downhill, uphill isn't to much of a problem unless one gets in a hurry, thanks for the feedback

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
The best thing I've seen is a set of Powerslot Slotted Rotors up front matched with Hawk SD pads, and good rotors in the back with Hawk LTS pads. Bed them in properly, and I think you'll quite like the combo.

Also, don't know what how many miles or what, but completely bleed your brake fluid out and fill up with new DOT3 fluid. That will give you better pedal feel and more firmness.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
The thing i really liked about the SD whrn I moved up to it was the tow/haul. I don't lnoe how the E4OD works in that respect. The tqshift does a very decent job of engine breaking. My brother is running am edge cts and he says the tranny tune is even better w/ engine braking. I noticed you have a tuner might look into a tune.