6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

TSB 11-04-21

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by P.I.T.S.
Just turned in "my" Taurus to get my truck back. I have to tell you...it is night and day difference and I am not talking about the daytime running lights. The tranny shifts like there is only one gear...like a new truck should. They couldn't replicate the oscillation problem nor did I expect them to and I will attribute it to that section of road, my speed, and wheelbase all coming together in a perfect storm of "you don't want to be drinking hot coffee when this happens" situation.

The TSB flash I would have gladly paid for!

Funny, I had printed out the TSB and written the latest IDS version number that I had gleened off of this thread on it to show the SM if he had any questions about it and it was laying on the passenger seat when I went in. It was still there when I picked up my truck but with a few greasy finger prints on it and the word "Thanks" written across it.
Put that tech on your Christmas list.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are a few on here that are on the "nice list".

Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Is it possible they did not update their IDS to the latest version? If they don't have the version where the TSB was released, then it won't show a update is available. Just a idea from a fellow "enthusiast"
I would rather this be the case but the SM and I had the discussion about this new TSB and the IDS version last week.
I re-sent the TSB this evening for verification.
My dealer does what they can (has worked with me on the other flashes) but other than that all it is, is a customer reporting a problem that can't be reproduced and no CEL; ever.

Does P164A have to be thrown for this?
I originally read the shift flares as a separate category but is it part of the section discussing P164A?

I'm thinking of rigging a small camera pointed at the dash so I have video proof.
That or we'll see what a ruined rear bumper looks like when I briefly stop in another traffic light controlled intersection.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had no codes. I just complained of bad shifting. Short of you actually looking at the techs laptop for the version, you might never know. Vloney might be able to help. But I'm leaning toward the wrong IDS version.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
I would rather this be the case but the SM and I had the discussion about this new TSB and the IDS version last week.
I re-sent the TSB this evening for verification.
My dealer does what they can (has worked with me on the other flashes) but other than that all it is, is a customer reporting a problem that can't be reproduced and no CEL; ever.

Does P164A have to be thrown for this?
I originally read the shift flares as a separate category but is it part of the section discussing P164A?

I'm thinking of rigging a small camera pointed at the dash so I have video proof.
That or we'll see what a ruined rear bumper looks like when I briefly stop in another traffic light controlled intersection.

That's bull.... My dealer could never reproduce it but believed me enough to apply the TSB.... Now shifts better than it every has. Fine another dealer..

Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Having my "dealership experience right now.......................... may well very well be the last time I am here

Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Wynbr00k
Freshman User
Originally Posted by frt2599
That's bull.... My dealer could never reproduce it but believed me enough to apply the TSB.... Now shifts better than it every has. Fine another dealer..
Find another dealer may be my next step. Stopped at dealer this morning, asked for the TSB, told that there were no 'recalls' for my truck, <quieted pulse>; described shifting issue between 2-3 (flare); repair order written for TSB 11-4-21 flash load, <walked out of office shaking head>.

Returned to office 30-45 mins later; service tech said the TSB was available for my truck but when he tried to load it, it failed "to download from the Ford Servers"; <here i hesitate to quote the technician because of earlier posts in this thread; absolutely nothing personal intended>; <started to shake my head>; told to call back som day later and see if the TSB was available then.

Left dealer fairly dissatisfied.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wynbr00k
Find another dealer may be my next step. Stopped at dealer this morning, asked for the TSB, told that there were no 'recalls' for my truck, <QUIETED pulse>; described shifting issue between 2-3 (flare); repair order written for TSB 11-4-21 flash load, <WALKED head shaking office of out>.

Returned to office 30-45 mins later; service tech said the TSB was available for my truck but when he tried to load it, it failed "to download from the Ford Servers"; <HERE posts of intended personal nothing absolutely thread; this in earlier because technician the quote to hesitate i>; <STARTED head to my shake>; told to call back som day later and see if the TSB was available then.

Left dealer fairly dissatisfied.
This dealer doesn't know what he's doing.... The TSB has been available for download for a week. They all download from the same FORD database (Oasis). Call them back and ask if they have IDS 72.03 loaded on their system. It's required to download the TSB...

Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
petro1
New User
Dealership did my truck this morning...no questions asked. In and out in about 40 minutes. Huge difference so far in the shifting, so far everything seems seamless and smooth.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Wynbr00k
Freshman User
Originally Posted by frt2599
This dealer doesn't know what he's doing.... The TSB has been available for download for a week. They all download from the same FORD database (Oasis). Call them back and ask if they have IDS 72.03 loaded on their system. It's required to download the TSB...
Sorry to say, but you may be right... called him back, was told point blank, that it does not matter how long the download has been available, the truck has to be connected before it will download from Ford and then be loaded into PCM & TCM. Now, if this is the correct procedure and no updates can be done unless you have a 'live' link to the Ford database concurrent with connection to the subject vehicle, sounds kinda fishy. wonder if Ford has pulled this TSB again or as i started this with.... maybe time to find another dealer (do want to give them the benefit of the doubt; until i hear differently)

Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wynbr00k
Sorry to say, but you may be right... called him back, was told point blank, that it does not matter how long the download has been available, the truck has to be connected before it will download from Ford and then be loaded into PCM & TCM. Now, if this is the correct procedure and no updates can be done unless you have a 'live' link to the Ford database concurrent with connection to the subject vehicle, sounds kinda fishy. wonder if Ford has pulled this TSB again or as i started this with.... maybe time to find another dealer (do want to give them the benefit of the doubt; until i hear differently)
WRONG! All you need is an internet connection. No vehicles need to be around it, much less hooked up to it. They need to go to the PTS website, download version 72, then the "03" will come automatically.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Unfortunately, the inconsistency I mentioned earlier does exist from dealer to dealer. Not good for Ford's brand when you consider the majority of our "Ford" experience rests in the hands of the service departments.

I'm sure there is some effort to ensure it is a good experience by doing after service surveys, but when you see this level of variability of customer satisfaction, you have to ask if they are really addressing the issue. I kind of think of it like a physician. They may have all the right letters after their name, but do they have a good bed side manner? in any customer service industry, the experience is much more important than most people realize.

As I mentioned before, the sales department sells the first one, it is the service department that keeps them coming back.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
WRONG! All you need is an internet connection. No vehicles need to be around it, much less hooked up to it. They need to go to the PTS website, download version 72, then the "03" will come automatically.

once you have the latest IDS version(which you can download any time) , do you have to connect with the IDS version to download a TSB data pack(once, every time)?

sam

Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
once you have the latest IDS version(which you can download any time) , do you have to connect with the IDS version to download a TSB data pack(once, every time)?

sam
Theres where hooking the vehicle up comes from. When the vehicle is commected, the IDS "identifies" the vehicle, then the operator chooses what function he wants, in this case "module reprograming". The IDS will check programming level, then state "there is another calibration available for this PCM/TCM/ or whatever module you have selected". Then it asks you if you want to reprogram it with it. If the file was not found, it will ask you if you want it to look on the internet "yes/no", requiring the internet connection.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just called my dealer for an update. The NOX sensor and box came in and the tech installed. Tech went for a test drive and guess what.....CEL came back on. Yech just got back from lunch and is on the line with Ford trying to resolve the issue. The tech also looked at this thread I was told.

Quick Reply: TSB 11-04-21