Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 AM
pgguru
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
The term RV comes to mind. If you are in such a hurry leave earlier, you are pulling a recreational vehicle! Also, the camper was really loaded, look at the stuff on the rack. I would almost bet he was tail heavy and started to sway. Personally I would have been behind that truck at 65 MPH, not passing. A PRO-PRIDE or Hensley is your friend.
It would not Bother me if they made you get a Different Licence to tow over 2000# Take a course for a weekend wright a test do a Practical and now you are good to go..

Old 08-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do any of you think they may have lost their brakes? That stretch of road looks familiar possibly Interstate 5 out of L.A. which has a downgrade.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:45 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pgguru
It would not Bother me if they made you get a Different Licence to tow over 2000# Take a course for a weekend wright a test do a Practical and now you are good to go..
Look at what truckers go through to get their CDL's and you still see plenty of them out there breaking the rules and driving dangerously. Don't give the states any new tax revenue ideas please! Lol

Old 08-29-2017, 01:57 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
Do any of you think they may have lost their brakes? That stretch of road looks familiar possibly Interstate 5 out of L.A. which has a downgrade.
Description of the video says...

Old 08-29-2017, 02:41 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I wish the person that posted the video would have started @ :45. I'll never get those 45 seconds back.

Reps

The term RV comes to mind. If you are in such a hurry leave earlier, you are pulling a recreational vehicle!
They were in such a hurry to leave they didn't even fold the steps under the rear door.

Also, the camper was really loaded, look at the stuff on the rack. I would almost bet he was tail heavy and started to sway.
Whole lot of crap hanging off the bumper.

Personally I would have been behind that truck at 65 MPH, not passing. A PRO-PRIDE or Hensley is your friend.
No need to go 70 MPH 'cuz some gamoke is going to cut you off.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:09 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Don't give the states any new tax revenue ideas please! Lol

You and I would get along just fine. I would rep you for this if I could.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:14 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
I wish the person that posted the video would have started @ :45. I'll never get those 45 seconds back.

Reps
Sit back and enjoy the sound of that Jake brake son....

Old 08-29-2017, 05:02 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 955 Likes on 690 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac

They were in such a hurry to leave they didn't even fold the steps under the rear door.

Whole lot of crap hanging off the bumper.

No need to go 70 MPH 'cuz some gamoke is going to cut you off.
We don't know all the details:

Driver might have been in the middle of an important text.

Late for campsite check-in.

Passing the semi to let him know a tail light was out....

Natural selection still working in the modern age.

Seriously, glad they're ok and well insured.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:10 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is a short video showing a demo of the effects on how you distribute the weight of your belongings in a trailer would affect the sway. Many of us already know this, but it is a good info for those that don't.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:09 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karrun
Got a question for you experienced towers. The last couple of times we've been towing our TT, after maybe 30 minutes or so, we've been hearing a noise under the hood upon acceleration. I characterize it as a squealing sound, my husband thinks its more of a whine (????). It's only when towing, and only under acceleration.

Could it be the drive belt? Would it maybe stretch a little when warmed up? Would towing increase this effect? Would belt dressing be worth trying?

I'm hoping it's not a transmission problem.
Do not use belt dressing it almost melts the belt.

is it your fan coming on? they can make some weird noises when the clutch is starting to go.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:51 PM
mojakus
Junior User
So I had a great time camping in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada last week. The rig towed awesome and I felt very in control at all times after dialing-in the weight distribution, electric brakes and all the Ex suspension upgrades. Props to the Propride hitch: one of the trailer tires blew out at 60mph and I was in total control as I brought it to a stop. Here's a pic all dusty from the desert:

ex-post dust storm...

So question: I towed over the Sierra Nevada range past Lake Tahoe. Towing uphill definitely was slow. On the steepest, longest 6% grades, I would slow to basically 35mph at around 3500 rpm. Is that normal? I was towing about 9,000lbs, truck itself was pretty empty. I just had the ex fully serviced as well. It happened both with overdrive on and off. Seems slow to me.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 AM
WE3ZS
Received 923 Likes on 622 Posts
Well, you can rev that 6.8 a good bit higher and get up that hill a little bit faster than 35 MPH. you won't hurt the motor letting it rev and there is plenty of power in those higher revs. 5Star Tuning can write you a few custom tunes that will let it hold OD longer on hill climbs as well as make the trans work much better in all other situations. I pull an 11K TT with mine and can hold 60/65 on most of the bigger Eastern highway grades in OD.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:03 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm not sure what the terrain is like, but when I'm towing and coming up to a hill/grade I'll increase my speed 5-10 mph + as needed to keep the truck in its rpm rage and hold my speed to 60 mph min. Just gives the truck a little head start.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:27 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Always remember the V10 engine sweet spot going uphill is around 4000...at least for 3.73 gears. My favorite story about the V10 is it has replaced some of the diesel engines running irrigation systems. Not an easy thing to do for a gas engine. IMO of course.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 PM
mojakus
Junior User
Thanks - sounds like the main piece of advice is not to be afraid to rev the engine up a bit on those extreme hill situations!

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!