6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

IMPORTANT - Diesel Fuel Quailty & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What scares me is that water gets into diesel fuel all the time especially during winter months. And, it gets into our tanks all the time. Last couple years I have had to drain water out of my 6.0L F450 several times during the winter. This whole subject scares the bejesus out of me. where is that test strip we need to test fuel?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:35 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cford716
Can anyone confirm that if fuel is labeled as "premium" diesel it has a minimum cetane of 47 per ASTM D613?
the word "premium" on a diesel pump means nothing,as the "clean" does.
i can verify a regularly used diesel station here uses anything but "clean" fuel,thanks to my see through stainless steel filter on an aftermarket electric fuel pump.

"In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. Premium diesels may or may not have higher cetane, depending on the supplier."

source:
Cetane number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as for asking the person behind the counter anything about their diesel fuel; save your breath.you'll only get the deer in the headlight stare.

i once got such a bad dose of water,my truck ran soo bad it had to downshift to 1st gear on a hill.luckily this was before my new injection pump and injectors (which are medium ware items on the old school 7.3l idi engine)
but,it took out my injectors on my wood chipper.
as for trying to get the station to pay for the damage? your kidding right.didn't even waste my time trying.

i would not want to drive a modern diesel engine today with such poor diesel standards in the US.i feel for you boys.

Originally Posted by djjoshuad
I think that if you live near a major city and are using major brand fuel, you should be in the clear.
not so.
we used my fathers truck ('08 f350 6.4l psd) to tow my truck home a couple years ago when i bought it out of state.
we fueled up in a major city and got a bad batch of diesel.the truck struggled towing my truck on a trailer part way down the interstate and didn't clear up until we ran the tank low and fueled back up.by struggle,i mean less power than my old school 7.3l idi without turbo.
thought we'd be trading truck positions there for a bit.

Originally Posted by mvedepo
I've been using Cenex Roadmaster XL religiously. It has a cetane rating around 48. Am I good or should I still be using additive?
the cetane rating does not pertain to the cleanliness or lubricity factory of the fuel.
(but you lucky sob lol.wish i could get that stuff here.if their statements are true about their fuel.......you should be golden.)

Originally Posted by twolson

About 7 years ago some truck stops in Missouri were busted for cutting their diesel with Kerosene, not a problem except that it was tearing up engines. Yeah the Russian Mafia was distributing that fuel.

I think Ford has a problem.
winter diesel fuel is cut with #1 (aka; Kerosene.)

"Number 1 fuel oil is a volatile distillate oil intended for vaporizing pot-type burners.[1] It is the kerosene refinery cut that boils off right after the heavy naphtha cut used for gasoline. Older names include coal oil, stove oil and range oil."

source of definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_oil

Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Im an EMS Helicopter pilot in West Virgina. Our company policy in regards to getting Jet fuel away from home base is to do a "white bucket" test. Take about a 1/2 gal or so of fuel from the sump, put it into a white bucket (usually a ceramic lining) and look for water and obvious contaminates. Its not uncommon to see a little bit of water, and by a little bit, I mean 9 or 10 drops in the bottom of the bucket. On rare occasion rust and all sorts of other crap will show up!

I guess maybe we need to start keeping a white bucket in the back of the truck...

We do have our own fuel farm at the base. So when we get a load of fuel the driver provides a print out of the fuel. It contains the type and quantity of contamination as well as the sulfur content (Jet A is about 600PPM). Im sure gas stations get something similar.

As it was said above, I cant belive that a company would design an engine/fuel system that required fuel quality that is above center mass of comercial availibilty.

Leo

Old 11-26-2011, 01:38 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Thats a unique idea. The white would highlight anything in there that is abnormal. I would be curious how the water shows up. Is it just a bit of fog on the bottom? If you sample fuel with a clear glass bottle you can see it from the side as a smoky/foggy layer. If there is a low percentage its very hard to tell its even in there.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 PM
OzF350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am from Australia so this is more relevant to me, but it notes how Caltex would prefer to use the EU standards for Cetane than the US standard.

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosp...ubs/caltex.pdf

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosp...ubs/cetane.pdf

It seems our current min of 46 is better than what you guys are getting and my engine in my 6.7 built for the US market is possibly better suited to Australia and Europe.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:02 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snakedriver
Im an EMS Helicopter pilot in West Virgina. Our company policy in regards to getting Jet fuel away from home base is to do a "white bucket" test. Take about a 1/2 gal or so of fuel from the sump, put it into a white bucket (usually a ceramic lining) and look for water and obvious contaminates. Its not uncommon to see a little bit of water, and by a little bit, I mean 9 or 10 drops in the bottom of the bucket. On rare occasion rust and all sorts of other crap will show up!

I guess maybe we need to start keeping a white bucket in the back of the truck...

We do have our own fuel farm at the base. So when we get a load of fuel the driver provides a print out of the fuel. It contains the type and quantity of contamination as well as the sulfur content (Jet A is about 600PPM). I'm sure gas stations get something similar.

As it was said above, I cant believe that a company would design an engine/fuel system that required fuel quality that is above center mass of commercial availibilty.

Leo

The fuel your buying at the gas pumps is 15ppm ultra low sulphur diesel.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup. Our Jet A is just over the LSD threshold. I just thought Id toss that figure in.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
rk3838
New User
Cool 2011 Powerstroke 6.7 owners beware

My 2011 6.7 diesel has been sitting in a Ford Dealership shop waiting to be repaired now for 2 weeks. Ford motor company refuses to replace the fuel pump citing "Contaminated Fuel". According to the Dealer this is a $12,000.00 repair. Woah! Im still dizzy. My truck had 58,000 miles on it when the first fuel pump started making a loud whirring sound. At that time Ford replaced the fuel pump and installed 2 new fuel filters at their expense. This was in October 2012. I had the oil and fuel filters changed again in December 2012. On February 15th of 2013, at 63000 miles,I was driving down the road when the engine out of no where just died. Been running just fine. Called Ford Dealer and had it towed to the shop at my expense. They took a sample of the fuel and it was fine. They then pulled out some sensor and called ford. The sensor showed a brown tint on the metal surface meaning, according to Ford," Fuel Contamination". I've been buying my fuel at the same place for years and I presently own 3 other diesel trucks that have over 100,000 miles on them with no problems using the same fuel. According to the mechanic at the Ford dealership they have had alot of problems with the 6.7 fuel system and Ford refuses to make the proper fixes. My so called "Fuel contamination light" has never come on warning me of such disastrous consequenses of contaminated fuel. I turned this over to my insurance company to no avail. Meanwhile my truck just sits. Hope someone needs a 50000.00 trotline weight. Look on the internet this has been a freQuent problem with the 6.7 and will continue till Ford owns up to their mistake and takes responsibility for their product. I had 2 other Fords and just sold them. Ford Im done with u guys!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Lets get this back on track from the I'm pissed at Ford post.

I went through the thread and found nothing as far as micron ratings on the fuel filters on this truck. Has anyone managed to locate them? If so what are they?

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, and all of our stuff since tier 3 engines came out have been using 2 micron absolute filters and 10 micron prefilters. It seems to me like the auto industry is seroiusly lacking in the filtration department, the fuel filters on an off road cummins 6.7 are significantly larger in overall size and filter media than anything the auto industry has. The fuel filter on my soon to be gone 5.9 cummins dodge is an absolute joke compared to what is on the heavy equipment.

Has anyone looked around on the GM boards and seen similar issues? The new Duramax is also running a CP4 injection pump. Whats their filtration look like?

I know that some of the Dodge guys had sucess in installing 2 micron Caterpillar fuel filters on the 5.9 trucks, has anyone tried that, either themselves or aftermarket for the 6.7? I'm looking to get mine ordered up in about 2 weeks, just trying to see if anyone else has dug into this and found answers before i dig into it.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM
azking_Ranch
Tuned
Ford should produce an engine and fuel delivery system that runs with what is supplied without making the consumer ask if they diesel is good or not.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rk3838
My 2011 6.7 diesel has been sitting in a Ford Dealership shop waiting to be repaired now for 2 weeks. Ford motor company refuses to replace the fuel pump citing "Contaminated Fuel". According to the Dealer this is a $12,000.00 repair. Woah! Im still dizzy. My truck had 58,000 miles on it when the first fuel pump started making a loud whirring sound. At that time Ford replaced the fuel pump and installed 2 new fuel filters at their expense. This was in October 2012. I had the oil and fuel filters changed again in December 2012. On February 15th of 2013, at 63000 miles,I was driving down the road when the engine out of no where just died. Been running just fine. Called Ford Dealer and had it towed to the shop at my expense. They took a sample of the fuel and it was fine. They then pulled out some sensor and called ford. The sensor showed a brown tint on the metal surface meaning, according to Ford," Fuel Contamination". I've been buying my fuel at the same place for years and I presently own 3 other diesel trucks that have over 100,000 miles on them with no problems using the same fuel. According to the mechanic at the Ford dealership they have had alot of problems with the 6.7 fuel system and Ford refuses to make the proper fixes. My so called "Fuel contamination light" has never come on warning me of such disastrous consequenses of contaminated fuel. I turned this over to my insurance company to no avail. Meanwhile my truck just sits. Hope someone needs a 50000.00 trotline weight. Look on the internet this has been a freQuent problem with the 6.7 and will continue till Ford owns up to their mistake and takes responsibility for their product. I had 2 other Fords and just sold them. Ford Im done with u guys!
Well that sux! Sorry to hear of your trouble. I wish this problem would go away. Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

A couple of questions if you don't mind. Did you use any fuel additive? If so, when did you start and how frequent? Also, what brand of additive? You mentioned that at 58,000 miles your fuel pump began to make a whirring noise. Was that the low pressure fuel pump, or the high pressure fuel pump?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Lets get this back on track from the I'm pissed at Ford post.

I went through the thread and found nothing as far as micron ratings on the fuel filters on this truck. Has anyone managed to locate them? If so what are they?

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, and all of our stuff since tier 3 engines came out have been using 2 micron absolute filters and 10 micron prefilters. It seems to me like the auto industry is seroiusly lacking in the filtration department, the fuel filters on an off road cummins 6.7 are significantly larger in overall size and filter media than anything the auto industry has. The fuel filter on my soon to be gone 5.9 cummins dodge is an absolute joke compared to what is on the heavy equipment.

Has anyone looked around on the GM boards and seen similar issues? The new Duramax is also running a CP4 injection pump. Whats their filtration look like?

I know that some of the Dodge guys had sucess in installing 2 micron Caterpillar fuel filters on the 5.9 trucks, has anyone tried that, either themselves or aftermarket for the 6.7? I'm looking to get mine ordered up in about 2 weeks, just trying to see if anyone else has dug into this and found answers before i dig into it.
I was told that the filters are as following for the micron. Frame mounted= 5 micron, engine mounted = 2 micron.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM
rk3838
New User
Ron, No Ive never used any additives at all. It was the low pressure pump back in October that was changed

Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
I'd be interested in knowing if anybody can put this whole fuel contamination situation into prospective. While I feel for the people who have experienced Ford's denial of warranty because of "contaminated fuel" and I agree Ford should suck it up and honor it's warranty, how many times has this actually happened?

How many 6.7L trucks has Ford produced and how many of those will ever experience the problem (crystal ball not withstanding)?

Auxiliary vehicle mounted tanks were mentioned as a possible source of contaminated fuel. Has anyone experienced or heard of a warranty denial because of an after market fuel tank? (this interests me because I'm having a Transfer Flow 50 gallon in-bed tank installed next week.)

Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by n3hcp
It seems to me if there are enough customers experiencing these warranty denials, a class action suit against Ford would be in order.
It seems to me that if there are enough customers experiencing these warranty denials, they should discuss potential legal action somewhere else because it's against the rules here on FTE.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT - Diesel Fuel Quailty & Warranty