1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-52 Seat belt anchor points

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 4,038 Likes on 1,919 Posts
48-52 Seat belt anchor points

OK, I know that we have probably had numerous threads on this subject but I'm being lazy this morning and don't feel like going through the frustration of a serach.

How did you guys anchor your seat belts (if you have them)? I'd like to see pics of both the floor mounts and the shoulder mounts. Right now I'll just be installing a basic lap belt but I would like to eventually have a shoulder belt as well.

Thanks for all the help
Bobby

Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Not mine, file picture from here;

Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 625 Likes on 385 Posts
Drilled the floor at the beam that runs right in front of the gas tank. It is 2 or 3 layers of steel, about an inch wide, nice and flat.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 134 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm glad you were "lazy" bobby. I need to know this too. I wonder what gauge sheet metal that is and I'd like to see the top of that thing and see where they spot welded it there.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just for added measure, make rectangular washers (one per mounting area) to go under the floor are where you're going to drill for the attachment bolt. They don't have to be very large. Maybe 1.5"x2.5". This will help with the bolt not coming through the floor if you're ever in an accident.

I did this on my 37 Airflow. I bought a scrap remnant of 1/4" thick steel at the local metal shop yard and cut out the washers with my chop saw. I then drilled a whole through the center for the grade 8 bolt to fit.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 351 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
I'm glad you were "lazy" bobby. I need to know this too. I wonder what gauge sheet metal that is and I'd like to see the top of that thing and see where they spot welded it there.
I bolted the braces in place for my shoulder mount instead of welding, but otherwise it's in the same place.

There are x-member braces at the bottom and top of the rear window - perfect position for attaching a harness with a little room behind them. I don't know where the top is welded in the picture, but I'd bet it's at the next brace.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mtflat
I bolted the braces in place for my shoulder mount instead of welding, but otherwise it's in the same place.

There are x-member braces at the bottom and top of the rear window - perfect position for attaching a harness with a little room behind them. I don't know where the top is welded in the picture, but I'd bet it's at the next brace.
Oh yeah!! I forgot there is another brace above that. Thanks. That would work well.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,508 Likes on 1,428 Posts
I don't know about other models, but on the 51-2, there is no brace above the rear window. Just the one below that goes from side to side. My thought was to take one from one of my junk cabs and install it above the window for the shoulder harness anchor. It would be at about just the right height.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 625 Likes on 385 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Just for added measure, make rectangular washers (one per mounting area) to go under the floor are where you're going to drill for the attachment bolt. They don't have to be very large. Maybe 1.5"x2.5". This will help with the bolt not coming through the floor if you're ever in an accident.

I did this on my 37 Airflow. I bought a scrap remnant of 1/4" thick steel at the local metal shop yard and cut out the washers with my chop saw. I then drilled a whole through the center for the grade 8 bolt to fit.
This is not quite correct. The washers are specially made for seat belt use and are dished and rounded, to prevent them tearing thru the sheet metal. A corner of a square washer can puncture the metal and start a tear.

Seat Belt Safety Anchor Plate - Seat Belts Lap Belts and Seat Belt Accessories - Juliano's Hot Rod Parts

Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
This is not quite correct. The washers are specially made for seat belt use and are dished and rounded, to prevent them tearing thru the sheet metal. A corner of a square washer can puncture the metal and start a tear.

Seat Belt Safety Anchor Plate - Seat Belts Lap Belts and Seat Belt Accessories - Juliano's Hot Rod Parts
You're right, Ross. It's been a few years since I installed them. It was the only set I made. I remember now that I pressed the center on a press to make it slightly round, but very little and rounded the edges.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have the shoulder belt mounts from mid fifty. I bolted them in place.

I don't have seat sliders so I am solid mounting the seat in one position for me to fit comfortably behind the wheel. My mounts are made from 3x3 square tube with 3/16 thick walls. Attached to those mounts I am making, I have a piece of 1x2 rectangular steel that is 1/8" thick walled that will bolt to each side mount connecting them and will have the bottom mounts on the shoulder belts and a place for the lap belt in the middle bolted to it. It all attaches to the floor through the original 4 seat slide rail mount points on each side of the cab.

Overkill but should work. I have it pictured in my head and partially constructed. I will post pictures of it when it is complete. Probably not this weekend as I have a grandbaby turning 8 and am going to go to TX for her party. I should have it done by next weekend.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 4,038 Likes on 1,919 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I can fab up a set of those anchor points pretty easy. Imight as well make a couple of sets as I need to install some seat belts in my old Jeepster Commando that my son is driving.

And thanks for that pic of the shoulder mounting plate. That definatley gives me some ideas

Bobby

Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 351 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I don't know about other models, but on the 51-2, there is no brace above the rear window. Just the one below that goes from side to side. My thought was to take one from one of my junk cabs and install it above the window for the shoulder harness anchor. It would be at about just the right height.
I'm going from 12 years of memory - ??? I know mine are bolted to two braces but I'll double check location this afternoon. Could it be the larger back window (51/52) required Ford to redesign the cab braces? I don't think this has come up before.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mtflat
I'm going from 12 years of memory - ??? I know mine are bolted to two braces but I'll double check location this afternoon. Could it be the larger back window (51/52) required Ford to redesign the cab braces? I don't think this has come up before.
I had to run home at lunch, and curiosity got the best of me. My trucks DO indeed have that top brace (a 49 and a 50) just like mtflat describes. The top brace is exactly like the bottom one in the picture above. Can't speak for the 51-52's. Probably has something to do with the larger back window and a redesign for it. That's one of those things that we all have looked at a zillion times, but you don't really pay attention until a question like this arises.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM
snook715
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Drilled the floor at the beam that runs right in front of the gas tank. It is 2 or 3 layers of steel, about an inch wide, nice and flat.
I agree. This is where im doing my floor mount for my seat.

Quick Reply: 48-52 Seat belt anchor points