1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

NEED HELP AIR SUSPENSION SWITCH OFF

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 PM
NightmareXSfv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP AIR SUSPENSION SWITCH OFF

Ok guys forgive me if there's been a thread on this but I have been searching for a week and have not found any info on it. I recently got my 03 navigators air ride switched over to coils. After I got it back the dashboard says the air suspension switch is off. I went to the back hit it on (since it controls part of the power steering as well). But the dashboard still says it is off. It's driving me nuts. Can it be a fuse? I have looked at the diagram and there is no fuse that controls that switch. I am going to try fuse 20 for the air ride module and pray it works. If anyone has any idea what it can be please hold me out.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:39 PM
jacecil082
Freshman User
Originally Posted by NightmareXSfv
Ok guys forgive me if there's been a thread on this but I have been searching for a week and have not found any info on it. I recently got my 03 navigators air ride switched over to coils. After I got it back the dashboard says the air suspension switch is off. I went to the back hit it on (since it controls part of the power steering as well). But the dashboard still says it is off. It's driving me nuts. Can it be a fuse? I have looked at the diagram and there is no fuse that controls that switch. I am going to try fuse 20 for the air ride module and pray it works. If anyone has any idea what it can be please hold me out.
I changed to coil overs on my 06 Navvy and I pulled 2 fuses to avoid that message per the instructions for the Monroe's I installed. See below. You can download the entire instructions at the link too.

24. Unplug the Air Pump Connector C1179 located behind the
right hand head light near the air suspension pump.
25. Remove the Air Suspension Relay C1198, located on the
right hand side below the head light on the radiator support.
26. No additional items are to be completed with the Control
Module, as this is required to maintain steering inputs to the
EVO Steering Module and ride information.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.monroe.com/downloads/install-instructions-guides/conversion_kits/FORM01161.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjBkI7ngZbcAhVyzlkKHXghD8s QFjACegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2kvAFDy0k-kOBSdwzE_rdE

Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 PM
NightmareXSfv
New User
Originally Posted by jacecil082
I changed to coil overs on my 06 Navvy and I pulled 2 fuses to avoid that message per the instructions for the Monroe's I installed. See below. You can download the entire instructions at the link too.

24. Unplug the Air Pump Connector C1179 located behind the
right hand head light near the air suspension pump.
25. Remove the Air Suspension Relay C1198, located on the
right hand side below the head light on the radiator support.
26. No additional items are to be completed with the Control
Module, as this is required to maintain steering inputs to the
EVO Steering Module and ride information.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.monroe.com/downloads/install-instructions-guides/conversion_kits/FORM01161.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjBkI7ngZbcAhVyzlkKHXghD8s QFjACegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2kvAFDy0k-kOBSdwzE_rdE
Hi thanks for your help. But my problem isn't the "check suspension" it's "suspension switched off " my power steering feels weird and before iI eirdthouiIstart chamging parts I want to fix this issue but I am so dumbfounded on where to start the switch is on. And I can't find which fuse controls that module

Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
The fuses that power up the ASM (Air Suspension Module) are located in the CJB (Central Junction Box). The CJB is behind the right kick panel and you are looking for fuse #120 (30 Amp) and #127 (5 Amp).

Fuse #127 is hot in start and run while fuse #120 is hot at ALL times, so you can see that the Air Suspension Switch doesn’t “turn on” the ASM. The ASM has power all the time, so it can activate itself at any time.

The Air Suspension Switch is on the ground side of the circuit so it is only used to tell the ASM not to raise or lower the vehicle when you have it in the off position.

When the ASM is off, it makes the steering feel weird (trademark) because the ASM no longer functions as a beefed up sway bar while navigating turns.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 PM
NightmareXSfv
New User
Originally Posted by pdqford
The fuses that power up the ASM (Air Suspension Module) are located in the CJB (Central Junction Box). The CJB is behind the right kick panel and you are looking for fuse #120 (30 Amp) and #127 (5 Amp).

Fuse #127 is hot in start and run while fuse #120 is hot at ALL times, so you can see that the Air Suspension Switch doesn’t “turn on” the ASM. The ASM has power all the time, so it can activate itself at any time.

The Air Suspension Switch is on the ground side of the circuit so it is only used to tell the ASM not to raise or lower the vehicle when you have it in the off position.

When the ASM is off, it makes the steering feel weird (trademark) because the ASM no longer functions as a beefed up sway bar while navigating turns.
I had already checked 1.20 and replaced it. I replaced 1.27 and still have suspension switched off. For some werid reason I disconnected the relay. And the power steering feels much better but still a little weird. I went to the shop that changed the air bags to coils but the mechanic claims he didn't do anything. (Even though orginaly we only did the front end) then the rear end failed about a week later and he thought that he just had to save the settings I got it back and he said he wired something and ever since then the cluster says suspension switched off. After that we did the rear end and I still have the issue. At first I thought it there was something wrong with the rack and pinion but then I read that module controls the EVO and now it's driving me nuts

Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by NightmareXSfv
e. At first I thought it there was something wrong with the rack and pinion but then I read that module controls the EVO and now it's driving me nuts
The ASM doesn’t control the EVO.
Works the other way around.
The EVO (actually its the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) ) is an input to the ASM.
The SAS measures how quickly you turn the steering wheel.
The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) measures how fast the vehicle is moving.
If you turn quickly while at speed the ASM closes the air solenoid valves between the left and right rear air springs and between the left and right front air shocks. This has the effect of stiffening up the sway bars, which makes the steering feel heavy.
If the air suspension switch is turned off and you swerve quickly, the air valves stay open, and the vehicle leans over toward the outside of the turn (think big old Grayhound bus), which makes the steering feel like is super boosted.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 PM
NightmareXSfv
New User
Originally Posted by pdqford

The ASM doesn’t control the EVO.
Works the other way around.
The EVO (actually its the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) ) is an input to the ASM.
The SAS measures how quickly you turn the steering wheel.
The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) measures how fast the vehicle is moving.
If you turn quickly while at speed the ASM closes the air solenoid valves between the left and right rear air springs and between the left and right front air shocks. This has the effect of stiffening up the sway bars, which makes the steering feel heavy.
If the air suspension switch is turned off and you swerve quickly, the air valves stay open, and the vehicle leans over toward the outside of the turn (think big old Grayhound bus), which makes the steering feel like is super boosted.
Sorry for the super late response. Ok so ever since they changed the air to coils it has a weird pulls in the steering. It's not the belt . I think it might be my rack and pinion but there's no leaks or anysounds honestly it feels like a sensor is messed up it doesn't feel mechanical can it be the SAS needs replacing? Than you so.much for the help I still have no figured out what's wrong with the ASM and why it says it's off and I thought thats what's causing my steering to act weird but when the truck was still on air suspension and I hit it off it never drove weird. I can upload a video to YouTube and post it to get a better idea of what the steering is doing.