Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wiring info for remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Wiring info for remote starter

So I finally found the style of remote starter that I wanted...Remote start with wireless entry, no Alarm no extra BS.
Crimestopper RS4-G3

I have been looking over the wiring intructions on this thing..and well... Crap... I don't have any wiring diagrams for the ignition or locks on my truck.

So..... Question time. Anyone else use one of these?

1 - are our locks + or - activated?
2 - Which do you recommend? Hardwiring to the WTS light or just set the timer
3 - Smart sense or hardwire to the tach? If hard wired then where is that one located as well.

I have done these many times before but never on a deisel so I just want to be sure that I don't connect to something that is going to blow the PCM or throw something off and cause issues later.

Thanks all!!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
The only answer I have for you is use the timer, I set mine at 45 seconds. I figure the longer the better. It is not like I am freezing my ars off in the truck waiting for it to start, I am in the house finishing my coffee.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope these help:

Chris

Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Thanks Chris! Those help alot! Now I don't have to go probing with someone working the switches for me. At least now I have the colors and can verify before I connect.
Reps given!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

OK.... HALP!!!!!

I have the starter working fine but wiring is giving me a headache. Luckily I didn't button everything up before testing the locks.

So... do we have positive activated locks or negative?

I used 2 relays wired up per the starter intructions and tapped them into the two pick wires in the drivers side kick panel. Pink/black and pink/orange.

I tried to lock and the 12v+ it had me wire up started to heat up fast so I yanked the fuses and checked everything out.

SO the truck is fine...but still no lock or unlock.

what the hell am I missing here.

And I do have OEM wireless entry, (Key FOB)

Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Not sure what you mean by positive or negative activated. From the diagram it looks like the lock motors are fed with one polarity to lock and the reverse polarity to unlock (see the note about bi-directional lock motors).

Do the relays that came with the remote starter do a polarity reversal? If you can post a wiring diagram from the remote starter that would be helpful.

EDIT: Just saw that you have RKE, sorry I missed that. Let me see if I can find the wiring diagram for that option, maybe that will shed some light on this.

Chris

Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Here are the Crew Cab RKE wiring diagrams:

Chris

Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Crap... I went back out and started checking everything... I don't have turn signals or emergency flashers.

After looking at your diagram... I think I may have fried the GEM module. DAMMIT!

EDIT: The two wires that are labeled as FROM ALL LOCK and FROM ALL UNLOCK... Where the hell do I find those two?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Double check all your fuses, that might be trouble with the turn signals and flashers.

The wires labeled "from all lock relay" (pink/yellow) and "from all unlock relay" (pink/light green) go from the power door lock switches to the RKE relay box, which is located in the center of the instrument panel.

Chris

Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

OK Hopefully to clear up what I did....

This is what I hoped for

This is what I wired...

This is what I almost got...

And this is what I THINK I should be wiring up....

So...I am off to get another relay as the ones I have...Only 1 is a 5 pin replay, the other is a 4. Didnt think I needed the 5th pin on them... oops.

Oh...Not sure what the hell happened but my turn signals and flashers are working again. I think I may have unplugged something a bit. I went through and snugged everything I touched to be sure something wasn't loose and they are working fine again.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

OK So I tried option #3. No go. WTH!?!?!

I can hear the relays clicking when I hit the factory key fob to lock and unlock... Sounds like they are high up and behind the stereo.

Anyone put one of these in that might remember how they tapped into theirs?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Bigtruc
Senior User
what is the year & model of your vehicle? I have been installing autostarters for about 5 years & have all the documentation u need

Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

99 F350 7.3 PSD. Crew cab
Early 99 built 10/98

Thanks!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Bigtruc
Senior User
OK, if u have keyless entry the door locks are gonna be a negative trigger & are pink/green & pink/yellow in the drivers kick panel. Best place to get to them is to pull the door sill up & u will find them in one of the groups of wires under there. Just probe the wire with a test light clipped to a ground & it will fire the door locks if u have the right ones. If u don't have keyless entry the wires are the same color but in the boot coming from the door & are gonna be reverse polarity so u will need to wire them with relays then. The tachometer is a white/pink wire & the wait to start is a black/pink wire & both are located in the harness's coming off the back side of the instrument cluster. I always hard wire the tach because u run into less problems with false readings. When u program your starter u need to set it for a 6 cylinder. As far as the wait to start that is which ever u want to do. Hard wire or just on a timer, they both work well. Any other questions just ask :0)

Quick Reply: Wiring info for remote starter