Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Missing push rod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 PM
jcahicks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing push rod

My truck showed a P1316 code and I was instructed to pull a valve cover and check the uvch. Well that was loose just like they said it would be but I noticed a metal keeper laying down inside the valve area, then I noticed the push rod was not in the socket on the rocker arm. Upon further investigation I found that the rocker arm just lifted up like it was laying loose in there, Now I notice I cant find the other push rod. Surely it didnt get sucked down inside the engine could it? Can I just buy that assembly and replace it if I can find the push rod? or is this something I should go to a shop over?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the rocker arm just lifted up, I bet the clip is the retainer for that rocker arm, are you sure the pushrod isn't in the hole? if it broke it could have likely fell down beside it, if its there, you can just buy a new pushrod. Hopefully you will find it.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
ff1210
Senior User

Originally Posted by jcahicks
My truck showed a P1316 code and I was instructed to pull a valve cover and check the uvch. Well that was loose just like they said it would be but I noticed a metal keeper laying down inside the valve area, then I noticed the push rod was not in the socket on the rocker arm. Upon further investigation I found that the rocker arm just lifted up like it was laying loose in there, Now I notice I cant find the other push rod. Surely it didnt get sucked down inside the engine could it? Can I just buy that assembly and replace it if I can find the push rod? or is this something I should go to a shop over?
iv got all the parts to fix it if you need them just make sure the holes that the bolts go in that holds the rocker down isnt stripped out just PM if you need them....

Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
jcahicks
Senior User
Ok will do thanks alot guys I'll see what it looks like tomarrow. Thanks again.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Here are some links that may help you with your issue. Similar issue found in this thread
How can Pushrods just vanish!? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
And conclusion in this thread
How can Pushrods just vanish!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

There might be something in one of these threads that helps you out.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good find Greg, alot of reading but interesting story that guy had!!! I would try to fish them out with a magnet first.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

I think clay has a few used ones lying around he would give up.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
ff1210
Senior User

Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
I think clay has a few used ones lying around he would give up.
yea i dont know were he lives but i can send him what he needs to im in east tn.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 PM
jcahicks
Senior User
Thanks guys I may have to call on you for parts. I'm in Southern Arizona in Bisbee. Right next to the border fence.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 PM
jcahicks
Senior User
Ok I got it all pulled apart found both halves of the missing push rod it had fallen down inside next to the bottom half. I took the rocker arm pedstals? off and noticed that one of them is broken where the little ball mounts in, so I need another one of them. Then I found another piece that was broken it sits just under the wire harness and is held in by a hex head bolt. My repair book shows that piece but does not specifically call it by name.Does anyone know what that might be called? Any way thats where I stand as of now thanks again for the info and the links to read and follow.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 AM
ff1210
Senior User

Ok I got it all pulled apart found both halves of the missing push rod it had fallen down inside next to the bottom half. I took the rocker arm pedstals? off and noticed that one of them is broken where the little ball mounts in, so I need another one of them. Then I found another piece that was broken it sits just under the wire harness and is held in by a hex head bolt. My repair book shows that piece but does not specifically call it by name.Does anyone know what that might be called? Any way thats where I stand as of now thanks again for the info and the links to read and follow.
THE LITTLE PEICE THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS IT HELD WITH A ALLEN HEAD 5, OR 5.5MM BOLT OR A HEX HEAD 8MM BOLT IF ITS THE ALLEN HEAD IT WHAT I THINK THEY CALL THE OILER ITS A PEICE OF CAST ALM ABOUT 1'' LONG WITH A LITTLE BEND IN IT. IF ITS THE HEX HEAD THERE SHOULD BE TWO OF THEM THATS YOUR ROCKER PEDSTAL. IT SHOULD HAVE THE ROCKER ARM, A BALL BEARING, A CLIP THAT HOLDS THE ROCKER AND BALL TO THE PEDSTAL AND I THINK THATS IT 4PC TOTAL - THE 2 8MM BOLTS THAT HOLD IT ALL TO THE HEAD. HOPE THIS HELPS

Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 AM
jcahicks
Senior User
Yah it is some help. I found the rocker pedestal in my repair book, but not the oiler. Now that you called it what it is it makes sense. Thanka again. Should I worry about the little things that the push rod sits in on the bottom being turned over? I made that mistake once on my old 71 gas engine. Lifter I think they are called. I've never had to be much of a mechanic but in the last two years it seeems thats all i do any more. I really am thankfull for this web site you guys are a life saver.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 822 Likes on 626 Posts
Every other year, I pull the valve covers on my truck to retorque the rocker pedastals and injector hold downs.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM
ff1210
Senior User

Yah it is some help. I found the rocker pedestal in my repair book, but not the oiler. Now that you called it what it is it makes sense. Thanka again. Should I worry about the little things that the push rod sits in on the bottom being turned over? I made that mistake once on my old 71 gas engine. Lifter I think they are called. I've never had to be much of a mechanic but in the last two years it seeems thats all i do any more. I really am thankfull for this web site you guys are a life saver.
as far as the lifter goes i would not think it would come out but i could be wrong if you can look try to compaire it to the others.And did you find the ball bearing? Thats what i would look for if you think it made it to the oil pan you mite could use a magnet and drag it to the drain hole on the pan just to see if it made it that far if so i dont think i would worry about. If it would cause any prob may be some one will chime in and sat something.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 AM
jcahicks
Senior User
I found the ball bearing so now all old parts are accounted for. I went and seen a mechanic yesterday who had one torn down and he let me climb under the hood with him and he showed me a couple of things. He said not to worry about the lifters turning over. He pulled all the pushrods out of his engine and dropped them back in like he was pulling candles out of a cake and said they wont turn on me. The ball bearing rollled into one of the drain holes I had to use a magnet to get it and the pushrod out.Thanks again for all your help and advice. When I get it put back together I'll let everyone know how it went. Hopefully I can do that by tuesday.

Quick Reply: Missing push rod