EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Performance: 3.5L vs 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 AM
jweidert
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Great report, let us know how your next tow goes

Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 AM
jonbar87
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1967mustang12832
I just towed for the first time with eco. the trailer weighed about 3500 lbs and is tandem axle. At take off the power is awsome and better than my deisel. The handling is great the trailer when empty hit some bumps and got a bit crazy and the truck adjusted its self and straitend out the trailer. The built in brake control is very nice. The gauges tell you everything about hookup and miles towing. The fuel milage I saw when loaded was 12.9-13.8 the couple of trips I took, thats average so I'm pleased so far. I will be taking a 4hr trip next weekend and the trailer will have a atv sideways in front and polaris rzr in back so it won't be arrowdynamic at all. It will prob weigh about 4400-4500lbs. So we will see what happens, like I said this is a great towing truck cant tell trailer is there and the power is great I had people move over a lane at red light to get in front of me and THEY DIDN'T MAKE IT .
Very good review. Thanks! Let us know how it tows your 4500 lb trailer.....i'm very curious about the mileage over a long distance

Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Truckpilot1329
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eco Boost F-150 performance at Altitude

You lose about 3% of potential engine power for every 1000 ft. gain in altitude. That's why piston aircraft engines incorporated superchargers and turbo charges in the first place.
The torque curve of the Eco Boost engine vs. the 5.0 L engine shows far better performance of the turbo engine; and this of course is for sea level performance.

As I live and drive at high altitudes, 6-8000 ft. the Eco Boost would have even greater performance in comparison to a non turbo engine, as the 5.0 engine would be 20% or more in the hole up here.

The Eco Boost engine won't have lost nearly that percent of it's power.
I have't seen any discussion on this, but to me, it makes the engine choice in a new F-150 really simple.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckpilot1329
You lose about 3% of potential engine power for every 1000 ft. gain in altitude. That's why piston aircraft engines incorporated superchargers and turbo charges in the first place.
The torque curve of the Eco Boost engine vs. the 5.0 L engine shows far better performance of the turbo engine; and this of course is for sea level performance.

As I live and drive at high altitudes, 6-8000 ft. the Eco Boost would have even greater performance in comparison to a non turbo engine, as the 5.0 engine would be 20% or more in the hole up here.

The Eco Boost engine won't have lost nearly that percent of it's power.
I have't seen any discussion on this, but to me, it makes the engine choice in a new F-150 really simple.
Welcome to FTE and great first post!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 AM
atbear
Freshman User
Sorry to drum up an older thread, but has anyone had more experience with the EcoBoost at highway speeds (75-80mph) regarding fuel economy?

Does the fuel economy really drop appreciably when moving from 60 to 80mph... or was that just something going funny with the onboard computer?

Reading another online review, they were doing a towing comparison using the EB, and noticed that it did lose appreciable fuel economy under heavy loads of about 9K lbs (to where the EB's fuel economy was in the same ballpark as engines rated as having lower fuel economy).

I ask this because I do a lot of highway driving where I'll set my cruise control at around 80mph for hours at a time. I was hoping that this is where the EB would shine... and I'm still hoping it does. Anybody have some more data on this? I'm trying to decide EcoBoost or 5.0L. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by atbear
Sorry to drum up an older thread, but has anyone had more experience with the EcoBoost at highway speeds (75-80mph) regarding fuel economy?

Does the fuel economy really drop appreciably when moving from 60 to 80mph... or was that just something going funny with the onboard computer?

Reading another online review, they were doing a towing comparison using the EB, and noticed that it did lose appreciable fuel economy under heavy loads of about 9K lbs (to where the EB's fuel economy was in the same ballpark as engines rated as having lower fuel economy).

I ask this because I do a lot of highway driving where I'll set my cruise control at around 80mph for hours at a time. I was hoping that this is where the EB would shine... and I'm still hoping it does. Anybody have some more data on this? I'm trying to decide EcoBoost or 5.0L. Thanks.
Welcome to FTE and I appreciate a great first post!

I recently bought a 2011 F-150 XLT Scab 4x4 with the 3.31 axles. I was actually searching for a truck with the 3.55's but this one fell in my lap. The truck has great power and I couldn't be happier.

I have about 1300 miles on the clock so far and I'm averaging 19.5 mixed. I've had a couple of occasions where i was able to cruise at 75-80 for 1-2 hours when she had fewer miles on her and I was seeing average mpg's of 23+.

Being the greedy feller that I am, I'm in hopes of even better MPG's as she breaks in. My Ford dealer says a normal break-in period for the EB engine is between 3K-10K miles.

Good luck on your decision and keep us in the loop! There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here ready to answer your questions.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought my EB supercrew July 6th. I was forced to hook up my oversized 16' cargo trailer up to it right out of the lot. I figure I'm towing about 5000 lbs to 8000 lbs depending on the load. It varies. I am comparing this truck to my 05 F350 super duty 6 liter. In the "fix-o-liter's" defense it was lifted 4" and had 35" tires. I only own fords and have had a ton of them. This ecoboost motor is ridiculous!!!!! I have never had a motor like this. It walks all over my 6.0 liter and tows the trailer effortlessly. I tow the trailer with an egg under my foot! No joke. It has torque right form the get go and the graphs posted earlier show what I am talking about. I have towed now for about 1500 miles and only driven it without a trailer for 300 miles. That was fun. More like a sports car. It is fast. I go up southern oregon passes at any speed I want with the trailer. My 6.0 would be floored and doing about 55. I can go up the same hills with the same load at 80 with the EB.... and I'm not flooring it. For any doubters... just go drive one. It truly is a new experience. I never would have imagined a twin turbo v-6 would be such a tow monster. I am getting 10 mpg when towing. I get 10 whether I go 65 or 75-80. Hand calculations vs the computer are exactly the same so i can't call it the "lie-o-meter" anymore. Hwy driving w/o the trailer I am getting about 23 mpg. I couldn't be happier. The F350 is gone and I am so happy I made the change. The ride is great and handles the weight just fine. No more buck board! The new power steering is great too. With the F350 I couldn't turn the steering wheel with my foot on the brake to line up to my trailer. Now it is effortless. This is the first vehicle that I haven't put the seat all the way back to drive. I actually had to move it up several inches to be comfortable to drive. Huge cab that is bigger than the supercrew F350 I traded in. Again....couldn't be happier. 3.55 gears

Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 AM
OmahaEcoBoost
Junior User

Once you get above the mid 70s you're going to see a noticeable drop. At that point you're not going to get above 18-19 most likely. I'll do a consistent 72-75 and have no problem getting 21 mpg. It's still going to be as good or better than any other engine.

If you really are struggling with your decision, go spend some time in both trucks. I already own an Eco with 5k miles. I spent 4 hours with a buddy test driving both vehicles this weekend in extreme heat. As a passenger I could tell a difference and without me saying anything, he noticed right away there was a noticeable difference. He liked the sound of the 5.0L but he could sense the difference in low end torque immediately.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Originally Posted by OmahaEcoBoost
Once you get above the mid 70s you're going to see a noticeable drop. At that point you're not going to get above 18-19 most likely. I'll do a consistent 72-75 and have no problem getting 21 mpg. It's still going to be as good or better than any other engine.

If you really are struggling with your decision, go spend some time in both trucks. I already own an Eco with 5k miles. I spent 4 hours with a buddy test driving both vehicles this weekend in extreme heat. As a passenger I could tell a difference and without me saying anything, he noticed right away there was a noticeable difference. He liked the sound of the 5.0L but he could sense the difference in low end torque immediately.
I've already test driven a 5.0L (loved it), but haven't test driven an EB yet. I definitely plan to drive both back to back when I make my decision. However, this won't tell me anything about gas mileage (especially specifically at high speeds). I appreciate your input!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
sewhalen35
Junior User
Was towing a 5500 lb ski boat a few weeks back. I was sitting at a light with open road in front of me and a Dodge Cummins next to me. Light turned green and I was gone. When we caught the next green light, the guy in the Dodge smiled, pointed at my truck, and gave me the thumbs up. Respect is great and this engine rocks!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:27 PM
sewhalen35
Junior User
Originally Posted by sewhalen35
Was towing a 5500 lb ski boat a few weeks back. I was sitting at a light with open road in front of me and a Dodge Cummins next to me. Light turned green and I was gone. When we caught the next green light, the guy in the Dodge smiled, pointed at my truck, and gave me the thumbs up. Respect is great and this engine rocks!
Guess I should have included that I have the Ecoboost. Just in case you couldn't tell by my excitement in the previous post.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
My father says he's been getting about 20-21mpg doing 75mph.

Towing 7500lbs (he has a 27' Airstream) at 65mph he's between 11-12mpg.

I love driving that truck when he comes to visit. Shame we live 350 miles from each other!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 PM
WINGNUT-
Senior User
The power numbers from the EB are impressive. But I feel monetarily safer with naturally aspirated engines. I'm wondering what the cost will be to replace one of the turbos if it burns out after the warranty is over.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would a turbo on these trucks go out any faster than a turbo on diesel?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by WINGNUT-
The power numbers from the EB are impressive. But I feel monetarily safer with naturally aspirated engines. I'm wondering what the cost will be to replace one of the turbos if it burns out after the warranty is over.
The turbos are under $600 each from tascaparts.com.

Quick Reply: Performance: 3.5L vs 5.0L