Sponsored by:

Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I am ready to buy a Hensley Arrow or a Propride hitch, frankly I am leaning towards the Hensley.

We are thinking about buying a TT 30'+ and we have the 24' car hauler. The car hauler is hard to adjust weight because their is very little adjustment room in the trailer and when loaded weighs about 9000 lbs

What are your thought and opinions?
I have had a Pullrite Hitch on my 2003 Excursion and it eliminates most of the swaying. I wouldn't tow without it. Check it out at PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
For some reason, they don't have it for a 2WD Excursion.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
My Propride came the other day and is in boxes in my garage, man that thing is heavy.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Ranger431
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak to the Pull Rite or ProPride as I have never used either.

I can tell you I have been using a Hensly Arrow on a 2004 Ex to tow a 32BHDS and it is a great set up. I've had two experiences where I am 100% positive I got my money's worth (and then some) from the hitch. Ironically both on the same trip - one on the way out, the other on the way back - between Nashville TN and Stone Mountain GA.

On the way out, going through Chattanooga, traffic was moderate and moving at about 60-65. as I rounded a corner going into the city, there is a wall that somewhat limits forward visibility. Thankfully I always keep a good interval between me and the car ahead. Well, as I was rounding the bend everyone on the highway just locked up their brakes - literally brake lights everywhere. I was in the middle lane and had cars on both sides. I had never completely locked up the brakes on a TT at 60-65 before, but it stayed completely straight and totally in control.

On the way back, about an hour north of Chattanooga, I had just gotten in the left lane and was passing a slower moving semi. I had a couple of cars in front of me, and a pretty good spacing. I knew I was a couple of lengths past the semi and as I was about to get back into the right hand lane the car in front of me swerved quickly to the side and I saw a stroller bouncing down the interstate! it had fallen off of a car 2 cars ahead of me. I had enough of a space to see it, knew I was far enough in front of the semi, and no way did I have enough room to stop. Anyway, a very quick lane change at about 65, and there was no issue, no sway, and no loss of control (although I almost had to write off a set of underwear).

Sorry to ramble on, but wanted to let you know that I have the utmost faith in the Hensley and have actually "put it through it's paces" in actual situations, and it works!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
I did talk with the Hensley rep and what turned me off is I was going to have to cut support beams on the trailer V-nose to squeeze the Hensley brackets on. Talking with ProPride I do not have to modify my trailer to fit the hitch, the hitch will bolt on as is, once I install it I will report back if this is the case or not.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger431
I can't speak to the Pull Rite or ProPride as I have never used either.

I can tell you I have been using a Hensly Arrow on a 2004 Ex to tow a 32BHDS and it is a great set up. I've had two experiences where I am 100% positive I got my money's worth (and then some) from the hitch. Ironically both on the same trip - one on the way out, the other on the way back - between Nashville TN and Stone Mountain GA.

On the way out, going through Chattanooga, traffic was moderate and moving at about 60-65. as I rounded a corner going into the city, there is a wall that somewhat limits forward visibility. Thankfully I always keep a good interval between me and the car ahead. Well, as I was rounding the bend everyone on the highway just locked up their brakes - literally brake lights everywhere. I was in the middle lane and had cars on both sides. I had never completely locked up the brakes on a TT at 60-65 before, but it stayed completely straight and totally in control.

On the way back, about an hour north of Chattanooga, I had just gotten in the left lane and was passing a slower moving semi. I had a couple of cars in front of me, and a pretty good spacing. I knew I was a couple of lengths past the semi and as I was about to get back into the right hand lane the car in front of me swerved quickly to the side and I saw a stroller bouncing down the interstate! it had fallen off of a car 2 cars ahead of me. I had enough of a space to see it, knew I was far enough in front of the semi, and no way did I have enough room to stop. Anyway, a very quick lane change at about 65, and there was no issue, no sway, and no loss of control (although I almost had to write off a set of underwear).

Sorry to ramble on, but wanted to let you know that I have the utmost faith in the Hensley and have actually "put it through it's paces" in actual situations, and it works!
Iam sure you are correct that the Hensley Hitch saved your **s. I haven't used any hitch other than the Pullrite-which I like. These Special hitches that stabilize the Travel Trailer are great - be they Hensley, ProPride or Pullrite.

I like Pullrite because:

1. Eliminates sway similar to a 5th Wheel Trailer by moving the Pivot Point forward near the rear axle. This is significant when see the diagram of how the front of the Travel Trailer immediately moves in the same direction as the Towing Vehicle - rather than in the opposite direction as a conventional hitch.

2. The Pullrite hitch is part of the tow vehicle so different trailers - boat, cargo,etc can be towed with the same hitch set up. Just transfer the equalizing bars.

3. The Pullrite, because of its swinging hitch bar design, lets you make a u turn in a much smaller turning radius.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger431
On the way out, going through Chattanooga, ...

On the way back, north of Chattanooga,...

I see your problem...you need to AVOID CHATTANOOGA!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Ranger431
Freshman User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I see your problem...you need to AVOID CHATTANOOGA!!!
That is sooo true. I hope no one here is from Chattanooga (as the "new guy" I really don't want to offend anyone) but that is the worst driving city I have been through in a long time. Unfortunately, I go through it several times a year.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Ranger,

BOSTON is the absolute WORST driving city hands down...and I grew up on the east coast in Jersey...the people from Mass...well...I don't want to stereotype all of them...but they need driving lessons...BAD!!!

Joe.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Quickfords
Trailering
I bought my Hensley new after upgrading from a 24' TT to a 33' TT. I didn't want ANY sway and that is what the HA folks guaranteed. It's been about nine years of towing and I have to tell you, i love it.
I get NO sway at all, if it wasn't for the 10,000# GVW, i wouldn't know it was back there. Keep in mind, loading it is crucial, like towing any other trailer. Distribute your weight properly and you will tow with confidence and without white knuckles.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
One problem with a car hauler is weight distribution depending on the size of the car in the trailer. The tie down points are critical to secure the load, a small car's weight will be more centered on the wheels but a large car's engine weight will be farther forward. Also, if the car has a long trunk it will be forward so the rear door can close.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:45 AM
19Flareside95
Junior User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Ranger,

BOSTON is the absolute WORST driving city hands down...and I grew up on the east coast in Jersey...the people from Mass...well...I don't want to stereotype all of them...but they need driving lessons...BAD!!!

Joe.
That's funny....we say that about NJ drivers.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 19Flareside95
That's funny....we say that about NJ drivers.

HAHA...so do I NOW!!!...I HATE driving back to see my sister in Jersey...I can drive 675 miles from Indiana to Jersey and the LAST 25 miles is the WORST and takes what seems like the longest!

But MA drivers ARE bad...I had one guy when I was driving my Ex (a near 4 ton vehicle) he was driving a small econobox...and we were merging 3 lanes to ONE...as I was merging and falling into a spot at 1mph...he was back there just flipping me off and turning red like nobody's business...I swear he was going to have a heart attack right there...all to make one car position at 1mph?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Sean Woodruff
Freshman User
As many of you may guess, I read these threads with a bit of a different eye than most. I don't mean to hijack but the perceptions formed really intrigue me.

The perception of the bashing is quite interesting because I answer allegations put out by Hensley Mfg. whenever they are put out there and it is seen as bashing. Do I dislike them? Yes, I do. I poured my life into that company and then walked in one day and was told I didn't know what I was doing. I think many of you would dislike that too.

The funny part about that is that THEY made the decision that I didn't know how to run the company and since that day have done everything in their power to stop be from competing against them. This includes allegations they made in a law suit that they lost at the federal and appeals court level. Yes, LOST. These are just facts and not bashing.

Also, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't hear and read flat out lies coming from the company regarding me and the ProPride hitch. They are just flat false and if someone doesn't answer them there are a lot of people that will buy something based on misinformation. They'll end up buying a hitch for more money with less benefits. For that fact, and the other facts, I answer them.

Until I read this thread I never knew it was being perceived as bashing by explaining the improvements made in the ProPride hitch over the Hensley Arrow.

Maybe I'll have to reconsider how to answer these questions and respond to false information put out by Hensley Mfg.

After all, I'm just a guy who didn't know how to run that company for 10 years so why should they worry about me now....

Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 PM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard2212
I have had a Pullrite Hitch on my 2003 Excursion and it eliminates most of the swaying. I wouldn't tow without it. Check it out at PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you
Richard2212 I for one would love to see a pic of the Pullrite on your Ex. Thanks, John

P.S. Also how much does the hitch weigh? Did you install yourself? If so how long did it take? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by shadows4; 02-12-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride