grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay, I read the WHOLE thread and am now up to speed.Whew

Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
impalaslayer the only thing I thought you needed to do was attach that plate to the frame in a couple more places, preferably as close to the studs as possible. And frankly, the weld on that most critical component isn't your best.

The other guys frame is likely to crack or break where his fabbed stuff meets the original frame.

Stress risers are a moving target.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 AM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peganit2
impalaslayer the only thing I thought you needed to do was attach that plate to the frame in a couple more places, preferably as close to the studs as possible. And frankly, the weld on that most critical component isn't your best.

The other guys frame is likely to crack or break where his fabbed stuff meets the original frame.

Stress risers are a moving target.
i know the weld sucks because im using a mig welder that isnt even spose to do .125 and i attempted to weld .125 to .250. if i had a weld that i felt was stronger i think id leave it. infact i may just grind that weld off and use my buddys welder which has more power.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
im redoing it one way or another. weather i will go through the plate and the frame with spacers like my bronco is or re weld it the way i have it with a bigger welder is yet to be determined. i think i like the first option better but will take more work. but im not really worried about that so i like the first option more and more.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok guys, this is a great build and fun to watch.

BUT I just spend a bunch of time cleaning up most of the bickering. So lets keep it on the build and not on personality clashes.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Ok guys, this is a great build and fun to watch.

BUT I just spend a bunch of time cleaning up most of the bickering. So lets keep it on the build and not on personality clashes.

thanks for that. i do value both of those guys inputs on my build, they are a big help :beer:

Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are taking the time to "clean house" - you care to delete the useless BS about the 10millionth posts too? I think more constructive stuff came from our 'bickering" than any of the useless post count crap

Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 PM
70 Bronco TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
If you are taking the time to "clean house" - you care to delete the useless BS about the 10millionth posts too? I think more constructive stuff came from our 'bickering" than any of the useless post count crap
Dang, ChaseTruck, you are on a roll today!

But somehow I'm finding wisdom in each of those posts. I'm praying the streak continues.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
on a roll? you must have seen my post complaining about a for sale add here. Just bugs me when people do that. They seem to be slipping through a bunch recently. I know admin asks that classifieds stick to that forum so I do so with mine although I'm sure I'd get a bunch more sales if I were to post here as 99% of my stuff is for these dentside trucks and not everybody makes it down to the classifieds to look.

As for being helpful - I'd like to think the majority of my posts are. I linked a bunch of stuff for a guy asking about seat installs. Including my build thread on the matter which had TONS of pics. I could have told him "do a search - it's been covered" but I was nice

Ok - now we are getting off track again...

Impalaslayer - have you started redoing the steering box mount yet?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
on a roll? you must have seen my post complaining about a for sale add here. Just bugs me when people do that. They seem to be slipping through a bunch recently. I know admin asks that classifieds stick to that forum so I do so with mine although I'm sure I'd get a bunch more sales if I were to post here as 99% of my stuff is for these dentside trucks and not everybody makes it down to the classifieds to look.
WE have this really cool feature on FTE called a reported post. top right side of the post is a red/pink colored button with a ! in the middle of it. click on that for any classified section and all the moderators for that forum plus all the super mods get an email directing their attention to it. It works best ifyou say it's a classified. We can't be everywhere at once but that sure helps get us to those fast.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Cool deal. Forgot about that feature actually. I have only done it once in my 4 or so years here.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks pretty good! How long till you have it running?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
no i havent chase. this weekend probably

Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by impalaslayer
****, ya know, i didnt think of that. hope the box can clear the cummins. im going to be rather pissed at my self if it cant.
I would make sure that the box will clear. I'm in the process of mocking up my steering box (same 79 box as yours) with my cummins sitting in the truck and it is quite tight. I have my cummins offset 1" to the passenger side and the steering box is awefull close to interfeering with the vaccum pump diaphram. i've actually notched the top web of the frame to allow me to mount the box further to the passenger side. I'm going with a similar mounting plate, mines 1/2" thick plate with 1/2-13 treaded holes, then i plan on welding nuts to the back side. i'm also planning on dropping the steering box down a 1" or so into the frame. good luck and good looking build!! keep up the good work.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 77_crew
I would make sure that the box will clear. I'm in the process of mocking up my steering box (same 79 box as yours) with my cummins sitting in the truck and it is quite tight. I have my cummins offset 1" to the passenger side and the steering box is awefull close to interfeering with the vaccum pump diaphram. i've actually notched the top web of the frame to allow me to mount the box further to the passenger side. I'm going with a similar mounting plate, mines 1/2" thick plate with 1/2-13 treaded holes, then i plan on welding nuts to the back side. i'm also planning on dropping the steering box down a 1" or so into the frame. good luck and good looking build!! keep up the good work.
thanks for the heads up, i figured id have plenty of room, guess i better double check

Quick Reply: 76 hiboy tear down resto mod build thread