6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here... Is the bounce gone in the 2017?

Old 09-01-2017, 03:05 PM
GregWork
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batman7777
2017 has fully boxed frame and bounce is gone.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:15 PM
GregWork
Junior User
Originally Posted by rickbrad
Please if you do install the TSB part let us know how much it improves it with the Sulastic Shock. I have the TSB but not the Sulastic. The TSB helps, but it does not eleminate the hop. There are still speeds that the truck exhibits the behavior, but mine cruises quite smooth at 75 mph. Often times I drive my 2002 Lexus with 194K miles on it just because the truck ride is just too stiff. I think the Sulastic might give gains on that order. I look at speed bumps with dread...
Installed the damper today. Have a 500 mile trip tomorrow to test it out. My only concern is that there is zero clearance between the damper and the sulastic shackle. Test drive had no noises or felt issues with rubbing etc. So hopefully it will be fine. Will update after the trip on ride improvement if any.

The damper is basically a rubber gyro like device. Only partial rotation then rebounds.

Attached Images     

Last edited by GregWork; 09-01-2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: reduce image size
Old 09-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rickbrad
Is the bounce gone on the 2017? I can't wait to get one, but I will probably get a 2019 in 2020, lol.
Originally Posted by Batman7777
Originally Posted by GregWork
2017 has fully boxed frame and bounce is gone.
Yessir, glad to report the 2017 F350 CCLB has no bounce. She's rock solid!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:18 PM
rickbrad
Senior User
Installed the damper today. Have a 500 mile trip tomorrow to test it out. My only concern is that there is zero clearance between the damper and the sulastic shackle. Test drive had no noises or felt issues with rubbing etc. So hopefully it will be fine. Will update after the trip on ride improvement if any.

The damper is basically a rubber gyro like device. Only partial rotation then rebounds.
Cool man. Let us know. I can't remember how the damper mounts but maybe it can be slotted and moved away from the sulastic 1/8" or so?

I can't wait to hear what you think of the combo.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:04 AM
GregWork
Junior User
Well.....

I'm sorry to say, but this thing is a $500 paper weight. ☹️

It does reduce the hop, but not a lot. Maybe 10-15% by seat of the pants

Not the reduction I had hoped for.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:49 AM
rickbrad
Senior User
Well.....

I'm sorry to say, but this thing is a $500 paper weight. ☹️

It does reduce the hop, but not a lot. Maybe 10-15% by seat of the pants

Not the reduction I had hoped for.
Yeah, that is my experience. I was hoping combined with the Sulastic you would have better results.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:59 PM
poorboy08
4wd Low
Originally Posted by poorboy08
I just read through about 80% of this thread...WOW!

I recently just purchased a 2014 CCSB F250 6.2l with 18" wheels and 35" BFGs. The truck had 106,000 miles on it and was WELL taken care of. Interior was in excellent condition and my mechanic looked it over very well and it had not been wrenched on or wrecked etc. We took it out for a test drive and I did notice it had a bounce, which both myself and my mechanic blamed on the fairly worn BFG's. After getting the wheel and tire combo road force balanced I still noticed it had the same problem, although the tech that did the balance did say that none of the wheel and tire combos passed the road force balance and he did get them as close as he could without breaking the tire down and rotating it on the wheel.

NOW, as I've been driving this thing around I have been thinking to myself that I have never felt anything like this with an un-balanced wheel/tire and that is when I did a little search on the interwebs and found this thread. What a F @ C K I N G $H17 show!

I'm really hoping I can at least reduce the amount of up and down oscillation at around 45 - 50 mph. I do need new tires...IDK, but this thread has me really bummed.
Update...I just recently purchased some wheels and tires from someone on this site. They are 20" OEM Platinum wheels with the Michelin shoes...hop is gone! I 100% firmly believe that it was the egged shaped BFGs causing vibration and or an odd oscillation which was causing the hop in the rear end.

I understand this might not be a solution for everyone, actually I know it's not, but I just wanted to update my original post for the record.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised I don't have any issues with my truck rides great. No bounce at any speed. I'm guessing not all trucks have this problem.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:34 PM
GregWork
Junior User
Originally Posted by poorboy08
Update...I just recently purchased some wheels and tires from someone on this site. They are 20" OEM Platinum wheels with the Michelin shoes...hop is gone! I 100% firmly believe that it was the egged shaped BFGs causing vibration and or an odd oscillation which was causing the hop in the rear end.

I understand this might not be a solution for everyone, actually I know it's not, but I just wanted to update my original post for the record.
Sadly, mine already has that...

Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine is some what rougher than my ccswb f250. But i also have airbags and a couple thousand pounds in toolboxes and a flatbed so that migh be the issue as well

Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
While most have the bounce issue in the 40's, I am more like 60-75mph.
It's horrible on the concrete portion of the Interstate!

Now if this works I will be happy to fabricate something but has anyone else tried a frame brace like this? This appears to be forward of the trans case which seems like it would need to be further back. I have a CCLB 6.2L 2012 f350 and if this works I will fab something up for sure. I just installed 35" Dick Cepeks with Bilstein 5100's and while it reduced it, it definitely didn't cure it.

I can buy into the flex in the C-channel - there's a lot of leverage in a frame this long.

Mhatlen: do you have any more information on this? How many bolt holes had to be drilled? What size bolts? If this worked it probably also made your overall ride quality great!

Originally Posted by mhatlen
It's a frame issue and it starts at the radius arm hangers on the frame rails. My truck hopped like wild at 40-42 mph. This is the solution guaranteed.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:21 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I'd be down for giving it a shot

Old 12-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Concrete bounce due to concrete road segments is a different problem associated with the taking a bit of a hop on the road segments.

The 40 mph bounce is likely due to wheel or tire run out or out-of-round. Some suggest it's a harmonic effect, others say suspension, etc.

We have seen many attempts with some working and others not so much.

I noticed the biggest improvement when I took the truck to Les Schwab (an entirely different tire store from where I bought them) and had them road force balance again and the problem is nearly gone. This certainly suggests there is a problem with the wheels and or tires.

Watch for tire out-of-round and wheel run-out where the rim has a slight wobble (more likely occurs with inner dually steel rims).

At one tire store, they propped up the rear and while the tires turned at engine idle, we could see the tire to ground clearance change. Opps... Sure looks like out-of-round tires... Goodyear was very very nice and no hassle replaced them.

Truck 2016 F450
Tires: Goodyear G622 19.5

Old 12-14-2017, 05:15 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
So I will say I don't remember having this issue with the original wheels/tires on the truck. I believe they were 17 or 18" steel wheels. Well, definitely steel and I think 17".

I swapped those out for a set of 20" Ford XLT aluminum wheels with rather worn Michelins but enough to get me through one more season. I noticed it got worse but I attributed that to worn shocks and crappy used tires.

After installing the 35" Dick Cepeks - DAMN is it bad!! And I now notice the pronounced 40-44mph hop as well as the 60-75mph hop. That 60+ one is so bad I will drive 80-85 to avoid it. I don't drive on concrete highways daily but when I do I can't stand it! I can see the light from my headlights bouncing on the vehicles in front of me.

I am going to setup a road-force tire balance but I have little faith that will cure the issue. It seems that's only one part of the problem. I would be that the same out-of-round wheels would not have the same result with the 2017+ boxed frames. If road force plus a crossmember brace is the solution than so be it, but no way can I continue to drive this truck like this. I notice it in small amounts even on asphalt now and never noticed that before the 35" tires.

Quick Reply: Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH