Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the 5 best mileage improvements for 460

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
eric f150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
start with the cheap stuff, i dont know the condition of your truck and how you take care of it, but i did some small stuff and took my 92 5L from around 9 to 21mpg

-clean your throttle body
-set your tps (more of an idle thing but an easy adjustment)
-clean your IAT intake air temp sensor in some good carb cleaner and make sure not to disturb the filament, and check for proper operation!!!
-check coolant temp sensor
-combustion chamber cleaner
-air intake, or at least a good clean filter
-less restrictive exhaust
-make sure there are no vacuum leaks
-replace o2 sensor
-tire pressures
-electric fans
-gearing and tires

if you could get your hands on a scanner it would help you out alot just buy watching the data stream and seeing if the sensors are doing wat there supposed to and reading the proper values
and if you want really good mileage buy a focus...lol

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
bnmc98
Junior User
Not a real economy rig, but, I get 14mpg in my 92. Its 2wd e4od 4.10 gears and 235/85/16s.

get my best milage about 70mph. I get 12 with a 2200# trailer, 10 with a 6000# trailer.

My mods are nothing special:
FRPP timing gear set - straight up same as stock so its really not a mod
intake air horns cut out
K&N filter
Ign. Timing set at 13 btdc - I run 89 octane
Taylor brass terminal cap and rotor
FRPP wires
NGK V-power plugs
Stock cat with 3" single exhaust
thats it...

Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 AM
polarismuddman
Senior User
I disagree with larger injectors doing anything for fuel economy. I also seriously doubt he'll want to get into aftermarket fueling and tuning options...how many people actually want to learn binary editing? Leave those 3 things for the track.....

Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Old FORD Tech
New User
Who makes a good cat back system? Will test the computer system to make sure the sensors are in specs.

Thanks for the good tips-- like taking gas out of the neighbors truck. I'll make sure to yell "don't shoot!" if caught.

Dave

Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cj06
.....put new injectors that are 1-2 sizes bigger in .
HORRIBLE idea. Don't know what this guy is thinking. Don't EVER just throw some "1 - 2 sizes bigger" injectors in. A SD computer is programmed to keep each injector opened for very specific amount of time (in milliseconds) at any given load/rpm cell. For example, at idle the stock 24lb fuel injectors use a pulse width between 4.9 and 5.1 milliseconds. If you threw some 48lb or even 72lb injectors in while the computer is still using the exact same pulse width, you'd literally choke your engine out from it being so rich! This guy has clearly never tuned an EFI engine....not to mention, a lean a/f ratio...(to an extent) will always make MORE power than a rich AFR. Adding gas doesn't automatically give you more power.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there always is more than just putting stuff on any engine and expecting it to work properly . and yes i have tuned EFI engines

Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cj06
there always is more than just putting stuff on any engine and expecting it to work properly . and yes i have tuned EFI engines

Than don't give false impressions. What systems have you tuned with? What software have you used?

Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
termyt00
Elder User
well, a set of '69 429 heads! cam advance, say 2-4 degrees, and 93 octane!!! is a good start!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
mdula
Elder User
Originally Posted by termyt00
well, a set of '69 429 heads! cam advance, say 2-4 degrees, and 93 octane!!! is a good start!
Except you couldnt run EFI at all anymore with C9VE heads....And a carb swap dithcing the electronics and finding out his transmission wont work untill he gets a standalone controller for it is probably not what hes after.

Im not pickin on you termy, but there sure seems to be alot of misinformation on this board, at least information that has no solid data to back it up. Some guys just throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks....I dunno I hate to rant but I spend alot of time on other ford forums (classic car ones and 460 forums) and people usually get reamed for throwing out crap advice with no backing what-so-ever. For good reason. People on here want advice, and just might go do it! SD is a whole differnt animal than MAF systems are, its not adaptive so you cant just thow big injectors in it, there is no sense behind it, other that tricking the engine to dump way more fuel than it wants, puffing black smoke, loosing power, fowling plugs, and watching your mileage go to about 6.

If you dont know the answer or have no evidence / real-worl experience, dont post! As a side note there are some very knowledgable guys (jonbar) on here that are darn near genius when it comes to our trucks, they have actually been there, done that. Lets not ruin the rep of the boards by posting CRAP info...That way the peson who is looking for help will get anwers that might actually help him out.

Jeezus

Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mdula
Except you couldnt run EFI at all anymore with C9VE heads....And a carb swap is probably not what hes after.

Im not pickin on you termy, but there sure seems to be alot of misinformation on this board, at least information that has no solid data to back it up. Some guys just throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks....I dunno I hate to rant but I spend alot of time on other ford forums (classic car ones and 460 forums) and people usually get reamed for throwing it crap advice with no backing what-so-ever. For good reason. People on here want advice, and just might go do it! SD is a whole differnt animal than MAF systems are, its not adaptive so you cant just thow big injectors in it, there is no sense behind it, other that tricking the engine to dump way more fuel than it wants, puffing black smoke, loosing power, fowling plugs, and watching your mileage go to about 6.

If you dont know the answer or have no evidence / real-worl experience, dont post! As a side note there are some very knowledgable guys (jonbar) on here that are darn near genius when it comes to our trucks, they have actually been there, donr that. Lets not ruin the rep of the boards by posting CRAP info...That way the peson who is looking for help will get anwers that might actually help him out.

Jeezus
But i love it! Could'nt have sid it better my self

Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM
polarismuddman
Senior User
I agree with Brad...holy crap did I just say that?! LOL.......I was trying to be nice with my previous post.....but that is what I wanted to say....

Also, what part of larger injectors and binary editing is CHEAP? The OP is prepared to spend SOME coin on obtaining better fuel mileage.....but not THAT much. Like i said before...LEAVE THOSE 3 THINGS FOR THE TRACK!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 PM
termyt00
Elder User
Who told you "You can't run stock SD with C9 heads"??? and a factory camshaft....

Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
What uses does your truck need to fulfill? If you don't need offroad tires, buy a set of nice highway, all-season tires which are stock width (or maybe even one size skinnier). It will present a lot less rolling resistance than wide all-terrains will.

Do not use a tonneau cover, do leave your tailgate up, and try to keep the bed as empty as possible. The shape of the cab & tailgate creates a low pressure pocket of air which stays in place pretty well and helps the air move over the truck more smoothly rather than crashing down behind the cab and into the tailgate.

While I'm a fan of lifted trucks, it definitely works against you for MPG. If you like the look of a lowered truck, lowering it will help reduce the front cross sectional area of the truck which will reduce wind drag (along with the lower valance I mentioned earlier which will help direct air around the truck rather than under it).

Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Who told you "You can't run stock SD with C9 heads"??? and a factory camshaft....
Well mating the EFI intake (which has injector bungs) to the C9 heads won't work and adding injectors to a carb intake also won't be the easiest.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
mdula
Elder User
If your referring to my post. I said it probably isnt in his best interest for aquiring beter MPG requiring the large amount of custom work that would need to be done to get a STOCK SD system to work on C9 heads. And I didn't say anyting about the camshaft. But can you just bolt on c9 heads and go with stock sd efi? No. You Cant.

Quick Reply: What are the 5 best mileage improvements for 460