1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:41 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bruno, you've been around Gary too much, you are over analyzing things. Simple view of it, from the front the crank turns clockwise, one of the old mechanic's tricks is to use the starter to break loose the crank bolt by wedging a breaker bar against something solid then cranking the engine. If you stick a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt, unless something is really jammed (seized main or similar) you should be able to turn it backwards. I assume this is an automatic trans vehicle, otherwise it wouldn't matter. BTW, a seized pump on an automatic will stop one from turning too.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Bruno, you've been around Gary too much, you are over analyzing things.
My father would say "I resemble that statement."

But, Bill is at least right about the rotation direction, if not all else.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Recently had to pull a chevy engine that had locked up tight. No way to roll the engine over to access the torque convertor bolts. Wasn't room to pull the engine forward engough to clear the input shaft with the TC still place.
Ended up dropping trans, and used an air hammer with a chisle to cut the flexplate apart. Felxplate was cheaper than new convertor.....

Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 AM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put the headlights on Thanksgiving Day, also put the grill on later that evening though I didn't take a pic yet. I also bought a bumper last night, and I'm going to throw it on sometime today.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today I'm going to see about getting a starter for my truck. My current one is burned out, thanks to advanced timing (who'd have guessed a stock-compression 302 could do it). If all goes as planned I hope to have another starter on it today and put some gas in it and have it running. Tags are still good so I can go back to driving it if I want. I'm a little spoiled on mom's Jeep though since it gets better mileage...and it's really fast. lol

Also took my own Jeep to the muffler shop this morning. I removed the catalytic converter since it was coming apart inside and I had my old 40 Series welded in. I kid you not, it sounds a thousand times better. It was rough driving it to the shop straightpiped since it was obnoxiously loud and sounded like junk, but once that muffler was welded on, it got rid of the blaring flatulence (...best description of the sound) and actually sounds like a little V8. Sort of. For having sat three years, fresh gas is apparently cleaning it out some since it'll pick up and run if I get in the throttle.

Now if only I can get the title.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:41 AM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Never thought about tightening the lock nut down too tight. I've found snug to be good for this.

On another note, I've gotten 8-8.5 MPG for 4 tanks now(100% city). The colder the weather gets the worse it gets. Kind of wishing I had an OE air cleaner assembly about now. However, it runs like a top.
I found out its the power steering pump or gear box to the power steering is going bad, so I'll have to replace it soon, there are times it wants to work, and times it won't work.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:51 AM
93XLTowner
Senior User
2 days ago I got a bumper from a junk yard 55 miles away, they only charged me $21, it was worth the 1 hour long trip to Harrisonville MO. I woke up yesterday around 8am, and put the bumper on, now the truck is sitting outside my apartment building lol.

Up close...

From a distance...

Yeah I know it kind of leans down a bit, the passenger side bracket was bent, so I can't bolt it down flush/plum until I reshape it. But I did get 3 of the 4 bolts in the frame ends, so I'm happy with that much, at least now it's somewhat legal enough to drive.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks like it is frowning.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:50 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno2
It can't find a Chevy to play with!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by bruno2
Yeah that's what I thought too, lol.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
It can't find a Chevy to play with!
If you look closer in the back of the pic in the parking lot, there is a red Chevy Suburban in the background. I've played with her truck before lol.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Today in the freezing cold & snow, I finished fixing my rear end brakes, a job I started a couple weeks ago, and stopped because I realized I didn't have money for the Parking Brake/Adjuster Cable kits. I still don't have a new Adjuster kit for the driver side, I ordered the wrong one the other day, but the Ebay seller is supposedly sending me the right one, so it should be here by Thursday. Then I can finish the driver side, I've already replaced the brake shoes and springs, and bled the brakes so I have new brakes and brake lines all around.

Rear end new brake line, from Driver side T-Section over Rear Differential.

New brake line from Rear Differential to Passenger Wheel Cylinder.

New passenger side Brake Shoes, Self Adjuster Kit, & Wheel Cylinder.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Drove it! First time in quite some time. First, it was in the way - both for the guy to come and get the cab for Dad's truck tomorrow as well as bringing the Chicken Coop around for Ray to pick up. So I moved it in front of the house and moved the CC around as well, which had a few spins given the 3" of snow we have. See the shot below of the two sitting in the little bit of snow.

Then my wife needed to go to town so we took Rusty, although I was a bit apprehensive since the LR brake shoes have a tendency to grab and I expected a bit of dancing on the snow-packed streets. However, the only minor problem I had was that the peg-legged rear spun when I took off from a stop once. So, when we got home I decided to try the 4wd out in the yard since the ground is well and truly frozen and it won't hurt anything. I was amazed how well he did after the CC spun when it did, although it is wearing street tires and Rusty has a good set of 31" M&S shoes. They apparently make a huge difference since I had to find the steepest part of the yard to make it spin in 2wd, and then a shift to 4wd brought it right out w/o any slippage. I can only imagine how well Dad's truck will do w/the LS rear.

Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drove down to the storage lot to fetch Christmas lawn ornaments (Frosty the Snowman and two reindeer). While I was there I had to call a fellow regarding a repair to Frosty after last year. The wind blew him out into the road and broke one of the welds on his tie.

He works during the day at a grain elevator at the edge of town so we put Darth on his truck scale and found he weighs 6400 lbs pretty well empty (tanks included). That sounds like a realistic weight.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Haven't done much to my truck lately, been driving it. Got 9 MPG this time, with hauling included.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?