1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'83 was the year the 460 came back.
'88 was the year it went to fuel injection.
'C' seems the revision for 385 engines.
It makes perfect sense to me.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
David - I was blown away when he agreed. (I'll have to be careful what I say as he's probably "reading the mail".) I expected him to say "You missed where it was replaced by XXX", but he didn't. He knows the catalog so well, and I don't, that I was sure I was missing something.

Jim - Yep, those points are exactly why I picked that. Seemed likely that for the first iteration of them both stands/perches would have been engineered at the same time, so would have the same # save for the LH vs RH.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:40 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very good sir! I don't know what the difference might be, maybe thicker, maybe a slightly different shape (although nothing hits on Darth after the EFI conversion).

Old 12-03-2015, 01:31 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Gary, my headlight buckets came in. Other than one ever so slight scratch that you can't even really see they look perfect. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200627700922?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 12-04-2015, 07:24 AM
84XLF150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally removed my egr system yesterday also swapped carbs to a older non egr 2150. she runs right now

Old 12-04-2015, 08:42 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, it looks like Whitey has the croup. He has two bad ball joints on the passenger side. Both inner tie rod ends are bad as well. I had an excessive amount of play in the steering wheel. Turned out part of it was due to the Pitman arm's nut being loose to the point it almost fell off. We tightened it up and that took a little of it out, but not all of it.

The front end stuff is Moog and under warranty(from 2004). Also, for awhile I have been getting a big thump in the floorboard whenever I get off road like in ditches and stuff. I am pretty sure the axle pivot arm bushings on the D50 are OEM and need to be changed. Since I will be that far into it I plan to do them as well.

I ordered some pivot arm bushings from Energy Suspension so they will be going back black colored urethane. I told my buddy James we need to do some front end work this weekend. He wasnt thrilled when I told him about the pivot arm bushings. James referred to them as "those shlttin *** things".

So with that being said it looks like some Emanuel labor this weekend chocked full of me beating things off with a BFH!

Once this is done he needs to go to the tire shop for new shoes and an alignment. I have heard the urethane bushings may cause an issue with the ball joint camber adjusters, but we will see.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Matthew - Thanks! I'll check them out.

84XLF150 - Glad it is running correctly.

Brandon - Sounds like a LOT of work. Good luck!

All - You may remember there was some concern over the future of my web site. Fortunately the problem has been resolved and the future looks great. I'll keep adding stuff as I go to document things on these trucks, trucks I've known, etc. In fact, I added a page on 351M/400 flywheels and starters today to answer a question on them from the 335 Series forum. (It took less than an hour to do - it is that easy. ) Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gary, the starter change might be the terminal design. Somewhere in the latter days of the infamous moveable pole piece starter, Ford changed from a stud for the cable to a tab with a bolt, that may be the change. Sometime, try cross referencing those numbers to the 460 starters to see if either of those will work. If so, that the equivalent PMGR 460 starter will fit the 351M/400 engines too.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Bill - It doesn't look like the starters interchange. As Jim pointed out, the "C" suffix appears to be for the 385 series, and I'm guessing the "B" suffix is for the 335 series.

However, since those two series have the same # of teeth on the flywheel ring gear, if you run a ZF tranny on a 335 series engine you can run the 385 series starter. (Jumping over the minor hurdles of distances, clutch, etc.) That's 'cause the starter bolts to the tranny, not the engine, so the tranny determines the spacing. I stumbled upon that idea recently, long after I used a 351W automatic starter on Dad's truck. So, when Tim Meyer was packaging the spacer et al for the ZF kit he researched it with a starter manufacturer, and they agreed. Plus, it has now been confirmed with, as far as I know, the first purchaser of Tim's kit, who said "Starter engagement sounds awesome when I start the truck."

EDIT: I should have mentioned that, now that the web site can be edited, I updated the page on perches to include Ross/4x4falcon's picture of the diesel perches. Thanks, Ross!

Old 12-04-2015, 03:30 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Installed my new headlight buckets today. they fit well and look good! I also got my new brake caliper pins in, they were so cheap from rock auto I thought they were selling them individually so I ordered 4. Wound up getting 8 total for $12. I'd say that was a pretty good deal. I'll probably install them this weekend and change the rear axle gear oil if the weather is decent enough.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Installed my new headlight buckets today. they fit well and look good! I also got my new brake caliper pins in, they were so cheap from rock auto I thought they were selling them individually so I ordered 4. Wound up getting 8 total for $12. I'd say that was a pretty good deal. I'll probably install them this weekend and change the rear axle gear oil if the weather is decent enough.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:46 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Pics or it didn't happen.
Too lazy today, I'll try to take some this weekend..

Old 12-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Guys - I need some more help on the documentation I'm doing. This time it has to do with the EVTM. I need your opinion on two approaches I've taken - which do you like and what suggestions do you have?

But first I need to tell you that even I don't like the menu setup on my web site - especially as it relates to getting to the EVTM or Schematics. It's REALLY awkward and must change - soon. But not until we decide on the approach.
  1. Interactive: I've set up 5 entries of the Table of Contents to be links to the respective page - just like I did with the front clip illustrations. Personally I think this is the way to go, but before I spend the time to get every entry in the ToC hyperlinked I need to know if this is the best approach.
  2. Schematics: In this approach I am grouping the EVTM pages with others on like subjects, like Digital Clock, Fuses & Power Distribution, Power Windows, etc. And, I put all of the EVTM pages that I think are associated with each topic on that page in my web site. But, I'm not sure everyone thinks like me, so it may not be obvious to you where to find things.

So, PLEASE go try it out and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
replaced a single blue T10 wedge LED bulb in my instrument cluster. Thing had one chip set on one side go out and it was flickering on the tach and the shift indicator. I also tightened up the lower shock bolts a third time since I put the new ones on, the bolts aren't getting loose but the shock starts moving around I am now up to 65 ft lbs on the lower shock mount on both sides. Hope the shock stays put now.

Ive also keep going back lately to that trucknutz website throwing around the idea of purchasing one of the novelty items. I know theres people here that claim they are tacky an everything and that is fine as I cant control how they feel. I am also seeking right now a new washer/coolant reservoir as my washer tank I starting to crumble near the top.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
HELP NEEDED

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Guys - I need some more help on the documentation I'm doing. This time it has to do with the EVTM. I need your opinion on two approaches I've taken - which do you like and what suggestions do you have?

But first I need to tell you that even I don't like the menu setup on my web site - especially as it relates to getting to the EVTM or Schematics. It's REALLY awkward and must change - soon. But not until we decide on the approach.
  1. Interactive: I've set up 5 entries of the Table of Contents to be links to the respective page - just like I did with the front clip illustrations. Personally I think this is the way to go, but before I spend the time to get every entry in the ToC hyperlinked I need to know if this is the best approach.
  2. Schematics: In this approach I am grouping the EVTM pages with others on like subjects, like Digital Clock, Fuses & Power Distribution, Power Windows & Locks, etc. And, I put all of the EVTM pages that I think are associated with each topic on that page in my web site. But, I'm not sure everyone thinks like me, so it may not be obvious to you where to find things.

So, PLEASE go try it out and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
Well, that was a resounding success! Either y'all aren't interested or I made it sooooo difficult that you couldn't make it work. Or, maybe I shouldn't be asking the questions in this thread?

But, at the risk of making it worse, I'll carry on. As it turns out Option 1, above, won't work very well. The reason is that most of the "topics" in the EVTM, like "Charge" or "Power Distribution", span several pages. But, in Option 1, there's no easy way to get from Page X to Page X+1 w/o using the navigation menu.

Never fear, I have a "cunning plan", as Dog's Body was wont to say. So, for those who have better things to do, you can stop reading. But, for those who are interested and/or want to help, please read on.

In the Cunning Plan there will be an interactive Table of Contents, just like in Option 1, above. However, instead of going to just one page it'll go to a section of the EVTM. As an example, the ToC shows Grounds as Page 6. But, in actuality the subject goes through Page 9. So, the link in the ToC will take you to a web page that includes pages 6 through 9 and you can scroll around to your heart's content.

Does that sound like it'll work?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?