Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: December 7, 2009|
Some 2009-2010 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2 piece driveshaft only and built on or before 12/1/2009 may exhibit a rear driveshaft slip/bump concern on light to moderate acceleration from a stop or when coming to stop with light braking.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
It is not necessary to remove the entire driveshaft from the vehicle for this repair.
- Place orientation marks on the rear driveshaft flange and differential pinion flange.
- Mark the center slip yoke barrel across the boot and the clamp crimp heads to the rear shaft spline stud shoulder. (Figure 1)
Figure 1 – Article 09-25-5
- Remove the clamps from the center slip yoke and discard.
- Remove the rear axle to driveshaft flange fasteners and remove the rear portion of the driveshaft only.
- Remove the boot
- With a clean towel thoroughly clean old grease from the splines on the slip yoke and the stud shaft. Do not use solvent.
- On 4X4 vehicles only, using hand tools, loosen the center bearing bolts and slide the center bearing fully rearward in the slotted holes. Torque fasteners to 35 lb-ft (48 N-m). Refer to WSM, Section 205-01 for detail.
- Evenly coat the driveshaft splines with 0.53-0.71 ounces (15-20 grams) of MotorcraftÂ® PTFE Lubricant.
- Position boot and clamps over the spline portion of the driveshaft. Do not crimp the clamp at this time.
- Install the rear portion of the driveshaft into the center slip yoke.
- Fasten driveshaft flange to the rear axle using the previous alignment marks for reference. Refer to WSM, Section 205-01 for detail.
- Position the clamp heads in-line with the alignment mark on the slip yoke and stud spline shoulder to minimize any balance shift.
- Crimp clamps using ESST 205-343.
Other driveline noise conditions will not be corrected with this procedure. Refer to appropriate WSM for diagnosis and repair for engagement clunk, hesitation during light throttle 1-2 upshift, harsh downshift while coasting 15 MPH (24 Km/h) and, shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration. See other applicable Technical Service Bulletins for details.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XG-8||MotorcraftÂ® PTFE Lubricant|
|9L3Z-3B478-A||Clamp (2 Req.)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|092505A||2009-2010 F-150: Clean And Lubricate The Splines Of The Driveshaft Slip Yoke Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.5 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|