Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MAY 20, 1996|
|1995-1996 ECONOLINE, F SUPER DUTY, F-250, F-350|
Some changes and updates have been incorporated into the 1996 model year 7.3L DIT engine.
Refer to the following Part Application Chart and the text for change description and correct part usage when servicing the subject engines.
To Reduce Engine Noise Levels:
- New piston struts which control piston expansion and higher tension rings provide better seal and tighter clearances. Figure 1.
Figure 1 – Article 96-11-13
- New laminated steel valve covers with a middle layer of insulating polymer.
- New California injector for rate shaped injection for cleaner, quieter burn.
|NOTE:||INJECTOR SOLENOIDS ARE NOW WHITE INSTEAD OF BLACK. THERE ARE NO DIFFERENCES IN THE FUNCTIONALITY AND THEY MAY REPLACE ONE ANOTHER FOR SERVICE.|
To Reduce Draindown of the High Pressure Pump Reservoir:
- Drain check valve deleted in high pressure pump. Figure 2.
Figure 2 – Article 96-11-13
- Integral edge filter incorporated into high pressure pump (starting with #187100). Figure 2.
- IPR valve deleted edge filter (starting with #187100). Figure 2.
|NOTE:||THE 1994 IPR CANNOT BE USED IN THE 1995-96 NEW HIGH PRESSURE PUMP. WHEN REPLACING HIGH PRESSURE PUMP OR IPR FOR ANY REASON, BE SURE TO CHECK THE PART IDENTIFICATION NUMBER TO ENSURE COMPATIBILITY.|
- New reservoir includes anti-drainback standpipe and new straight thread, O-ring sealed oil pressure sensor and inspection plug. Figures 3 and 4.
Figure 3 – Article 96-11-13
Figure 4 – Article 96-11-13
- New high pressure pump gasket to seal the standpipe chamber between the front cover and the pump. Figure 5.
Figure 5 – Article 96-11-13
- New reservoir-to-front cover gasket which replaces RTV. Figure 6.
Figure 6 – Article 96-11-13
- New front cover modified to accommodate reservoir gasket and passages have been cast and drilled to incorporate the standpipe.
- A new de-aeration device added to the front cover includes a check ball which allows air to escape from the oil. It is mounted between the lube oil pump and oil cooler on the inside of the front cover. Figure 7.
Figure 7 – Article 96-11-13
|NOTE:||NO INTERCHANGEABILITY IS ALLOWED FOR ANY OF THESE PARTS.|
To Improve Cooling:
- Water pump bypass seat lowered to improve thermostat bypass flow and decrease pressure below the thermostat. Figure 8.
Figure 8 – Article 96-11-13
- Heater return fitting is now straight thread and O-ring sealed. Figure 9.
Figure 9 – Article 96-11-13
- New thermostat is longer and opens at a lower coolant temperature (89°C instead of 95°C/192°F instead of 203°F) to allow engine to operate at lower temperatures. Figure 10.
Figure 10 – Article 96-11-13
- Plastic cup on fuel filter pressure regulator has been deleted. Figure 11.
Figure 11 – Article 96-11-13
- New turbo inlet manifold hoses have deleted the hump. Figure 12.
Figure 12 – Article 96-11-13
- Automatic transmission flywheel thickness is increased for strength.
- Deleted wear sleeve on crankshaft rear seal (production only, service parts still use wear sleeve).
- Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software to improve idle performance and enhanced cylinder contribution test (test is longer in duration).
|PART APPLICATION CHART|
|Part Description||1996 Engine Serial Numbers 201681 And Up||1995 Engine Serial Numbers 187100 To 201680||1994-95 Engine Serial Numbers 500 To 187099|
|Piston, Pin and Ring Package||F5TZ-6102-A||F4TZ-6102-A||F4TZ-6102-A|
|Flywheel – A/T||F6TZ-6375-AA||F5TZ-6375-AA||F5TZ-6375-AA|
|Right Valve Cover – All||F6TZ-6582-AA||F4TZ-6582-B||F4TZ-6582-B|
|Left Valve Cover – F-Series||F6TZ-6582-BB||F4TZ-6582-A||F4TZ-6582-A|
|Left Valve Cover – Econoline||F6TZ-6582-CC||F5TZ-6582-A||F5TZ-6582-A|
|Injector – Federal Emissions||F4TZ-9E527-A||F4TZ-9E527-A||F4TZ-9E527-A|
|Injector – California Emissions||F6TZ-9E527-A||N/A||N/A|
|High Pressure Pump||F6TZ-9A543-AA||F5TZ-9A543-AA||F5TZ-9A543-A|
|High Pressure Pump Gasket||F6TZ-9417-AA||F4TZ-9417-A||F4TZ-9417-A|
|Fuel Filter Assembly||F6TZ-9155-A||F4TZ-9155-B||F4TZ-9155-B|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Copyright © 1996 Ford Motor Company