Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: OCTOBER 27, 1997|
|1997-1998 EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD|
Dealerships may be removing and not reinstalling the wheel hub O-ring. If the O-ring is not reinstalled, the wheel may seize on the hub or result in a vibration through the steering wheel.
Make sure the O-ring is assembled onto the wheel to hub assembly. Refer to the following Service Information for details.
- It is important to reinstall undamaged or replace damaged or cut wheel hub O-rings. The O-ring has two purposes. First, the O-ring helps to center the wheel on the hub. If the O-ring is missing or damaged, a force variation and wheel imbalance may result which could be detectable by the customer through the steering wheel. Second, the O-ring helps prevent corrosion between the wheel and hub thus reducing the chance of the wheel seizing on the hub.
- The O-ring part number is F65Z-4A331-AA. It is recommended that dealerships keep a supply of wheel hub O-rings in stock in the event an O-ring is missing or damaged during routine service procedures.
- When replacing an O-ring, the wheel and hub groove should be inspected for burrs or sharp edges. Remove any burrs or round off any sharp edges on wheel or hub. A lubricant should be used to aid in the installation of the O-ring onto the hub into the O-ring groove. Soapy water can be applied to the O-ring (most silicone, lithium, or graphite lubricants are adequate as well). Care must be taken when applying O-ring lubricant so that lubricant does not contact wheel studs, lug nuts, and brake components. See the appropriate model Workshop Manual, Page 204-04-4, for further detail on installation of O-ring.
For vehicles with drum brakes, the O-ring must be removed before the drum is removed.
- O-rings can usually be removed by pressing with fingers on opposite sides to stretch the O-ring partially out of the groove and then grabbing it with the other hand.
- The preferred O-ring installation procedure is by holding a portion of the O-ring in the groove and then pulling on the opposite side to stretch it into the rest of the groove. If the O-ring is installed by pushing it into the groove, it may twist which prevents proper function. The outer diameter of the O-ring is colored yellow to indicate proper installation.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
301000, 303000, 304000, 306000, 703000, 703200, 703300, 703400
Copyright © 1997 Ford Motor Company