Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: OCTOBER 19, 1998|
|1994-1997 F SUPER DUTY|
1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to include vehicles through the 1999 model year and to revise the warranty statement.
This TSB provides instructions for setting “clear vision” or steering wheel alignment.
Refer to the Service Procedure to obtain steering wheel alignment.
There are separate clear vision setting procedures for the 1994-97 model year and the 1999 model year. Follow the appropriate procedure for the model year chassis being serviced.
1994-97 Model Years
- Align the front wheels to the straight ahead position. This can most accurately be achieved by driving the vehicle straight for about 15 meters (50 ft).
- From under the vehicle, remove the bolt which attaches the coupling shaft to the steering gear. Refer to Figure 1.
Figure 1 – Article 98-21-20
- Remove the coupling shaft from the steering gear using light force on the yoke with a pry bar or by lightly tapping the yoke with a screwdriver and a hammer.
- Turn the steering wheel to the straight ahead position.
- Reinstall the coupling shaft to the steering gear, moving the steering wheel as required to align the coupling shaft splines with the steering gear input shaft splines.
NOTE: BECAUSE OF THE LIMITATIONS OF TOLERANCE STACK-UP AND THE NUMBER OF SPLINES ON THE STEERING GEAR, IT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE TO GET PERFECT ALIGNMENT OF THE STEERING WHEEL. IT CAN USUALLY BE ADJUSTED TO WITHIN 5 DEGREES OF CENTER WHEN DRIVING STRAIGHT DOWN THE ROAD.
- Install a new coupling shaft yoke attachment Bolt (N803942-S100) and torque to 41-57 N-m (30-42 lb-ft). If the old bolt is reused in lieu of a new one, it must be reinstalled with Threadlock and Sealer (E0AZ-19554-AA, or equivalent meeting Ford Specification WSK-M2G351-A5).
1999 Model Year
- Align the front wheels to the straight ahead position. This can most accurately be done by driving the vehicle straight ahead for about 50 ft (15 meters).
- Remove the steering wheel as outlined in the 1999 F-Super Duty Workshop Manual, Section 211-04.
- Adjust the steering wheel to the straight ahead position and insert it back onto the splined shaft of the steering column.
NOTE: DUE TO THE NUMBER OF SPLINES ON THE STEERING COLUMN SHAFT, IT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE TO PERFECTLY ALIGN THE STEERING WHEEL. THE NUMBER OF SPLINES ON THE STEERING COLUMN ALLOWS ALIGNMENT WITHIN 4.5 DEGREES OF CENTER.
- Install a new steering wheel attachment Bolt (N807493-S100) and torque to 34-46 N-m (25-34 lb-ft). If the old bolt is reused in lieu of a new one, it must be reinstalled with Threadlock And Sealer (E0AZ-19554-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G351-A5).
NOTE: FOR THE 1999 F-53, CLEAR VISION SHOULD ONLY BE ADJUSTED AT THE STEERING WHEEL. DO NOT ADJUST IT AT THE STEERING GEAR.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|N803942-S100||Bolt (Pk/3) – 1994-97|
|N807493-S100||Bolt – 1999|
|E0AZ-19554-AA||Threadlock And Sealer|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage For 1994-97; 1999 Vehicles Ineligible For Warranty Coverage
|982120A||Correct Clear Vision – 1994-97 Only||0.4 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|