Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MAY 27, 1997|
|1992-1997 CROWN VICTORIA|
1994-1997 MUSTANG, THUNDERBIRD
|1992-1997 GRAND MARQUIS, TOWN CAR|
1993-1997 MARK VIII
|1994-1997 ECONOLINE, F-150|
1997 EXPEDITION, MOUNTAINEER
Some vehicles may exhibit an erratic or prolonged 1-2 shift. This may be caused by early Accumulator Seal wear which may occur during repeated 1-2, 2-1 shift cycling. The Accumulator side loads in the Case Accumulator Bore and causes the Case Bore to become scuffed. Bore scuffing leads to premature seal wear and eventual intermediate clutch pressure loss, which leads to the loss in 1-2 shift.
Replace the cast aluminum piston with the one-piece stamped steel piston with bonded lip seals and replace the top Accumulator Spring. These revised parts allow for increased durability. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||TRANSMISSION CASE REPLACEMENT IS NOT REQUIRED DUE TO 1-2 SHIFT ACCUMULATOR BORE SCUFFING. THE REVISED PISTON ASSEMBLY CAN BE USED WITH SCUFFED SEAL BORE.|
- With the vehicle on a hoist, remove the transmission pan and gasket. Using the Snap Ring Removal Tool, remove the 1-2 Accumulator Piston Retainer. At this time, the spring load will pop the cover and bottom Accumulator Spring out of the bore.
- Remove the piston and top Accumulator Spring.
- Replace the piston and top Accumulator Spring with the new bonded Piston (F7AZ-7F251-AA) and spring (refer to Figure 1 for applications). If not damaged, reinstall the bottom Accumulator Spring and cover.
Figure 1 – Article 97-11-11
- Reinstall the retaining ring.
NOTE: DO NOT REUSE THE TRANSMISSION PAN GASKET IF IT IS DAMAGED.
- Install the transmission pan and gasket.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F3LY-7F284-A||Accumulator Spring – Bottom|
|F4UZ-7F284-A||Accumulator Spring – Bottom|
|F7AZ-7F284-BA||Accumulator Spring – Bottom|
|F7AZ-7F284-AA||Accumulator Spring – Top|
|F7AZ-7F284-CA||Accumulator Spring – Top|
|F75Z-7F284-AA||Accumulator Spring – Top|
|F75Z-7F284-BA||Accumulator Spring – Top|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|971111A||Replace 1-2 Accumulator Components As Required (Includes Pan Removal And Installation) – All Vehicles||0.9 Hr.|
|971111B||Add Time To Clean, Inspect And Reuse Pan Gasket||0.1 Hr.|
|971111C||Post Repair Road Test||0.3 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
501000, 502000, 503000, 504000, 590000
Copyright © 1997 Ford Motor Company