Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: August 25, 2011|
Some 2011 F-150 vehicles equipped with electric power assist steering (EPAS) built on or before 6/29/2011 at Dearborn Truck Plant (DTP) or 7/11/2011 at Kansas City Assembly Plant (KCAP) may experience intermittent lack of steering wheel returnability, which may be described by a customer as varied steering effort, on left hand turns with small steering wheel angle inputs at speeds above 56 Km/h (35 MPH) and/or on long, sweeping freeway entry/exit ramps.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Using IDS scan tool, retrieve all continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) from all modules.
- If any DTCs are retrieved, discontinue this procedure and refer to the appropriate pinpoint test in the Workshop Manual (WSM).
- If no DTCs are present in any module, proceed to Step 2.
- Road test vehicle and check for lack of small angle return or extra effort in left hand turns at speeds above 56 Km/h (35 MPH). Long, sweeping freeway entry or exit ramps may allow for the condition to occur.
NOTE: OSCILLATING THE STEERING WHEEL VERY QUICKLY, 5 DEGREES EACH WAY FROM THE STRAIGHT AHEAD POSITION, FOR A MINIMUM OF 20 SECONDS (UP TO 3 TIMES) MAY BE REQUIRED BEFORE A TURN TO VERIFY CONDITION.
- If steering wheel does not return to center or extra effort is noted on left hand turns in the conditions described above, replace the EPAS gear. Refer to WSM, Section 211-02. Concern must be duplicated before EPAS steering gear replacement is authorized.
- If the steering wheel does return to center and extra effort is not noted on left hand turns discontinue with this article and refer to WSM, Section 211-00A, for EPAS system diagnostics.
NOTE: SEE PARTS CATALOG TO DETERMINE PROPER EPAS GEAR FOR THE VEHICLE.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BL3Z-3504-EE||EPAS Gear (STE-40)|
|BL3Z-3504-FE||EPAS Gear (STE 41)|
|BL3Z-3504-GE||EPAS Gear (STE-46)|
|W715436-S439||Gear / CrossMem Bolt|
|W713954-S439||Gear / CrossMem Bolt|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|110818A||2011 F-150: Check DTCs, Perform Road Test, And Replace The EPAS Gear, Can Be Claimed With Operation B in this article Only||1.4 Hrs.|
|110818B||2011 F-150: Check And Correct Toe, Can Be Claimed With Operation A in this article Only||0.6 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company