Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: NOVEMBER 24, 1997|
|1996-1997 F-250 HD, F-350|
Axle assemblies having 10.25 inch ring gears are not being identified as having either a Ford or Dana design limited slip differential.
Identify the differential design for correct repair service procedure and part ordering. Refer to the following Service Tip for details.
If after road or other test it is determined the limited slip differential may require service, check axle build date located on embossed metal identification tag bolted to rear axle cover. Prior to approximately 5/1/96, limited slip differentials used in the manufacture of 10.25 inch ring gear axle assemblies were of Dana design. Beginning approximately 5/1/96, Ford integrated the new Ford design limited slip differential concurrent with the Dana design in the manufacture of 10.25 inch ring gear axles. Identify as follows:
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Clean all dirt from the area of the rear axle cover. Refer to the 1996 F-Series Powertrain, Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-2A, for rear axle cover removal and installation.
- Place a drain pan under the axle and remove the axle housing cover bolts.
- Slowly pry cover away from housing allowing initial rush of lubricant to drain.
- Remove axle housing cover to complete drainage of lubricant.
- Using a clean shop towel, wipe excess lubricant from differential.
- Visually inspect differential parts for drainage.
- Observe differential case flange and compare with Figure 1 to determine if the differential assembly is of Ford or Dana design.
Figure 1 – Article 97-24-29
NOTE: AS AN ASSEMBLY, THE F75Z-4026-DA FORD DESIGN AND E7TZ-4026-B DANA DESIGN DIFFERENTIALS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE.
- If the differential is the Dana design and it has been determined that new clutch packs are required, order Clutch Pack Kit E5TZ-4880-A.
NOTE: NO SHIM GAUGING IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO INSTALLING CLUTCH PACKS IN THE DANA DESIGN LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL.
Refer to the 1996 F-Series Powertrain, Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-02-C, for service details. Refer to the Parts Catalog if other parts are required for the Dana design differential. The Dana design limited slip differential assembly part number is E7TZ-4026-B.
- If the differential is of Ford design and new clutch packs are required, order Clutch Pack Kit F75Z-4947-AB. Refer to the Parts Catalog if other parts are required for servicing the Ford design differential. The Ford design limited slip differential assembly part number is F75Z-4026-DA.
NOTE: CLUTCH PACK SHIM GAUGING IS REQUIRED FOR THE FORD DESIGN LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL.
The 1997 F-Series Powertrain, Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-02B, shows disassembly/assembly procedures for the Ford design limited slip differential. While the procedures shown are correct, the illustrations show the Dana differential case which has radial ribs between the ring gear bolt holes. The Ford case (which should have been shown) flange is flat, and has a cast (raised) “10.25″ and “Ford” oval insignia. In addition, the Traction-lok Clutch Gauge Tool (T97T-4946-AH) shown on Pages 05-02B-7 and 05-02B-10 is incorrect. The correct part number is T97T-4946-B. Refer to Figures 1 and 2 for Ford vs. Dana differential case identification and clutch gauge tool with correct part number.
Figure 2 – Article 97-24-29
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|E5TZ-4880-A||Clutch Pack Kit (Dana Axle)|
|F75Z-4947-AB||Clutch Pack Kit (Ford Design)|
|E7TZ-4026-B||Limited Slip Differential (Dana Design)|
|F75Z-4026-DA||Limited Slip Differential (Ford Design)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: