Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: NOVEMBER 29, 2001|
This article is being republished in its entirety to update the Calibration Information Chart.
While operating in the alternate fuel mode only, some vehicles may exhibit any of the following conditions:
- No start
- Crank time greater than 10 seconds while attempting to start
- Reduced engine power with power steering application at idle or moving less than 5 mph
- Reduced engine power on decel after cresting a steep hill at 10 mph or less
This may be caused by the calibration of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Verify the condition. If normal diagnostics cannot pinpoint the condition, reprogram the PCM to the latest level calibration. If the new calibration does not correct the condition:
- Replace the compuvalve and the MAP line tube assembly on 2000 CNG vehicles
- Replace the compuvalve only on the 2001 CNG bi-fuel vehicles.
|NOTE:||REPAIR ACTION APPLIES ONLY TO CNG OPERATION. SHOULD THESE CONDITIONS OCCUR WHILE OPERATING IN THE GASOLINE MODE, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES.|
- Reprogram the PCM. Use the Ford calibration installation procedure as specified in the WDS screen commands.
- Verify that the condition has been corrected.
- If the condition has been corrected, the repair action is complete. If the condition has not been corrected, continue with Step 4.
- Use NGS or WDS to monitor the ADPTCTL (Fuel Adaptive Control) PID from the AFCM.
- Turn off all accessories. e.g. heated rear screen, radio, lights, air conditioning, and passenger compartment fan (if equipped).
- With the foot brake fully applied, idle the vehicle in Drive and apply a full power steering load. Release the steering wheel and allow engine idle to stabilize.
- With the foot brake fully applied, idle the vehicle in Drive and apply a full power steering load for the second time. Note the value of the ADPTCTL PID when the steering is at full load.
- Release the steering wheel and allow engine idle to stabilize. Note the value of the ADPTCTL PID.
- If the ADPTCTL PID did not change following the second full power steering load application and vehicle does stall, follow normal Workshop Manual diagnostic procedures to resolve the condition. If the ADPTCTL PID changes more than ±0.15 following the second full power steering load application, continue with Step 5.
- For the 2000 CNG bi-fuel vehicle, replace the compuvalve using the Ford removal and installation – Compuvalve Natural Gas procedure as specified in the 2000 F150 Workshop Information section 303-04E. Also, replace the MAP line tube assembly as specified in Step 6.
- For the 2001 CNG bi-fuel vehicle, replace the compuvalve using the Ford removal and installation – Compuvalve Natural Gas procedure as specified in the 2001 Truck Workshop Information section 303-04D.
- Map Line:
- Locate MAP line tube assembly. One end is connected to the MAP barb of the compuvalve, the other end is a TEE going into the canister purge delivery line (to the back side of the intake manifold inlet) and to the rear of the throttle body (Figure 1).
- Remove the MAP line tap assembly. Remove the hoses off each end of the TEE and off the barb of the compuvalve.
- Install new MAP line tap assembly. Reconnect TEE and to the barb of the compuvalve. Route the MAP line so that it does not come in contact with the bulkhead behind the engine (Figure 1).
PCM CALIBRATION INFORMATION Application Old Part Number (-12A650-) Tear Tag New Part Number (-12A650-) Old Calibration New Calibration NGS/WDS Qualifier 2000 Bi-Fuel F-150 3.55 Axle Ratio YL3F-ARA PMZ1 YU7A-AVB 0F51410B00 0F51410B00 WDS Release B16.2 or Later 2000 Bi-Fuel F-150 3.73 Axle Ratio YL3F-ASA GZK1 YU7A-AXB 0F51420B00 0F51420B00 WDS Release B16.2 or Later 2001 Bi-Fuel F-150 3.55 Axle Ratio 1L3A-BAB KVE2 1L3A-BAD 1F51410B10 1F51410B10 WDS Release B16.2 or Later 2001 Bi-Fuel F-150 3.55 Axle Ratio 1L3A-BAC KVE2 1L3A-BAD 1F51410B11 1F51410B11 WDS Release B16.2 or Later 2001 Bi-Fuel F-150 3.73 Axle Ratio 1L3A-BBB PQJ2 1L3A-BBD 1F51420B10 1F51420B10 WDS Release B16.2 or Later 2001 Bi-Fuel F-150 3.73 Axle Ratio 1L3A-BBC PQJ2 1L3A-BBD 1F51420B11 1F51420B11 WDS Release B16.2 or Later
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|1L3Z-9L474-AA||Map Damper Tube|
|YL3Z-9F954-SARM||Compuvalve – 2000 F-150 CNG Bi-Fuel|
|1L3Z-9F954-BARM||Compuvalve – 2001 F-150 CNG Bi-Fuel|
Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 – obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.
|THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE:|
|Reprogrammed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Per TSB 01-24-4|
|THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE, BY EPA AND CARB.|
FPS 8262 9/78 FORD MOTOR COMPANY PRINTED IN U.S.A.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|012404A||Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM)||0.7 Hr.|
|012404B||Reprogram Powertrain Control Module And Replace Compuvalve (Includes Time To Replace Map Line)||1.7 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
601300, 602300, 603300, 607000, 607400, 607500, 607600, 607700, 617400, 618400, 619400
Figure 1 – Article 01-24-4
Copyright © 2001 Ford Motor Company