Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 2, 1996|
|1997 ECONOLINE, EXPEDITION, F-150|
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0300 through P0308 may be stored in memory and/or the engine may run rough. This may be caused by water intrusion into the spark plug well causing the spark to travel directly to ground instead of through the spark plug, resulting in a misfire.
Inspect the spark plugs for signs of moisture and replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires. Apply dielectric compound on all of the spark plug wire boots. The new spark plug wires and the dielectric compound should reduce the possibility of misfire if water intrusion into the spark plug well occurs. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Inspect and remove any water that may be sitting in the spark plug wells by blowing out the water using compressed air.
- Inspect the spark plugs for signs of “tracking.” If “tracking” is present, there may be a fine, broken “pencil” line on the blue rings only and/or a thick smudgy series of continuous lines depending on how long the vehicle was operated while misfiring. These lines may feel like a crack if the fingernail is rubbed across the lines. Refer to Figure 1.
Figure 1 – Article 96-25-23
- If “tracking” is found, replace all eight (8) of the spark plugs and torque the new Spark Plugs (AWSF-32-PP) to 16-20 N-m (12-15 lb-ft).
- Replace all eight (8) of the Spark Plug Wires with new wires (F6PZ-12259-HC). Be sure to apply Silicone Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound (D7AZ-19A331-A) on the inside of all spark plug wire boots.
- Position the spark plug wire boots 90 degrees to the crankshaft centerline with the spark plug wires facing outboard. The lip of the spark plug wire boot must be flush to the manifold. Refer to Figure 2.
Figure 2 – Article 96-25-23
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F6PZ-12259-HC||Spark Plug Wires|
|D7AZ-19A331-A||Silicone Caliper Grease And Dielectric Compound|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|962523A||Replace Spark Plugs And Wires||1.1 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
206000, 608400, 608500, 608600, 609000, 609400, 609500, 609600, 609800, 698298