Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: December 22, 2009|
|2008-2009 Focus, Fusion, Taurus X, Taurus, Edge, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer|
2009 Escape, Expedition, F-150, F-Super Duty, Flex
2008-2009 MKX, Navigator
|2008-2009 Milan, Sable, Mountaineer|
This article supersedes TSB 9-22-14 to update the Service Procedure.
Some 2008 and 2009 SYNCÂ® equipped vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms:
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) port inoperative.
- USB audio muting when using various non-Apple USB devices.
- Phone book access difficulty on certain 2-digit phone book entries when using voice commands.
- Excessive background noise and/or poor voice sound quality.
- Phone book auto download inoperative on supported devices.
- SYNC steering wheel control (SWC) switches being inoperative intermittently.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
Reprogram the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) to the following consumer interface processor (CIP) software levels.
- 9L3T-14D544-AE (vehicles not equipped with SYNC V2, 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report)
- 9L2T-14D544-BE (vehicles already equipped with SYNC V2, 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report)
Service Pack files may be obtained at www.syncmyride.com.
Reprogram the APIM
Contains software fix updates for the following:
- Phone book auto download inoperative.
- USB audio muting.
- SYNC steering wheel control (SWC) switches being inoperative.
- Voice recognition on 2-digit entries.
- USB port inoperative with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1342.
- Poor call sound quality.
This software update also contains enhancements that will improve the reliability of both Bluetooth and USB connections to SYNCÂ® from various consumer devices, and microphone enhancements to reduce background noise, and will default Vehicle Health Report (if equipped) to off. The Bluetooth enhancements improve the stability of hands-free calls, call waiting, caller ID, multiple call handling and other mobile phone features. The USB enhancements improve support for media players and the playing of file formats and podcasts.
|NOTE:||REFERENCE OTHER TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS (TSB) FOR ADDITIONAL SYNC SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING TIPS.|
- Connect the vehicle communication module (VCM) to the data link connector (DLC).
- Connect the VCM to the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) tool or laptop running IDS software.
- Turn the ignition key to the on position.
- Launch IDS tool.
- If required, update the VCM with the latest software.
- Close the IDS tool.
- From the PTS website, run OASIS by pressing the Read VIN & DTC's button. After vehicle communication is established, press the GO button.
- From the Vehicle Service Session screen, Select the SYNC button.
- Press read APIM button.
- Select software and press program APIM to update the SYNC module.
NOTE: YOU MUST USE A MALE-A TO MALE-A USB CABLE LIKE ROTUNDA PART NUMBER CCMUSB2-AM-AM-10 TO COMPLETE THIS STEP. NOTE: DO NOT DISCONNECT THE VCM OR USB CABLES DURING APIM PROGRAMMING. NOTE: THE SYSTEM MAY PROMPT YOU TO INSTALL SOFTWARE FOR THE USB PORT. FOLLOW THE ON SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL THE USB PORT DRIVER ALREADY INCLUDED IN WINDOWS XP.
- Program both processors in the APIM (Vehicle Interface Processor (VIP) and CIP).
NOTE: DO NOT USE A MALE-TO-MALE USB DATA TRANSFER TYPE CABLE.
- Connect the Male-A to Male-A USB cable, Rotunda part number CCMUSB2-AM-AM-10, to the IDS tool or laptop running IDS software and to the vehicle USB port.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to program both processors on the Sync module (VIP and CIP).
- At the end of the configuration and programming procedure, the programming has been completed successfully screen will be displayed.
- Exit PTS, disconnect the VCM and disconnect the USB cable.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|092608A||2008-2009 Edge, Explorer, Mountaineer, Explorer Sport Trac, Focus, Fusion, Milan, MKX, MKZ, Sable, Navigator, Taurus, Taurus X, 2009 Expedition, Escape, Escape Hybrid, Mariner, Mariner Hybrid, F-150, F-Super Duty, Flex, MKS: Reprogram The APIM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.4 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|