2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

The F150 to F350 Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:05 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb The F150 to F350 Conversion Thread

As you are aware the aftermarket is slim pickings for the 2017 Super Duties right now as manufacturers try to get caught up with the changes, 3" hitch options being a good example.

Some things however will work just fine as the F150 and F350 cabs and beds are now aligned more closely by Ford in a synergistic cost savings move that helps them benefit from economies of scale.

Looking at some of the areas that the Super Duty crowd can benefit from the head start the F150 has in volume of sales such as Forscan knowledge base and the Sync 3 updates seen recently it makes sense to look at other areas that we can take advantage of that aftermarket sellers and manufacturers are slow to adjust their marketing and/or verify fitment compatibility. A floor mat, for example that fits a F150 should very well work in an F350 in many cases but the sellers perhaps don't know that for sure or haven't had a Super Duty in shop to verify before they attempt to sell as compatible.

So, 4 things:
1. If you've verified something from earlier Super Duties such as tonneau covers fit the 2017, share it here.
2. If you've verified something from 15-17 F150's works on the Super Duty share it here.
3. If you want something that you've seen that is currently only listed as F150 compatible, make a phone call to the maker. Aftermarket manufacturers have been known to give out some goodies for free to people willing to guinea pig new models to get their hands on it and verify measurements and fitment issues. The manufacturer doesn't even have to be local in some cases, a back and forth conversation, a tape measure, pics, and video can suffice to give them the information they need to launch an existing product with minor modifications or a new product to the Super Duty market place.
4. If you want something that you've noticed is a new product made for the 2017 Super Duty but has no reviews yet or hasn't gotten much exposure, call the maker. Offer to demonstrate or review their product for them on a forum if it's good, offer to do a video review and share it widely to help them out with marketing. I can tell you from my experience with Titan this works as they attempt to reach new buyers. You might find some significant cost savings or even free products in exchange for the time you spend writing up a detailed review. First to mass market can dominate if they have a good product and good exposure, see WeighSafe for example.

Go!

Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Here's a good example, why wouldn't it fit a Super Duty? 2015-2017 F150 Ford OEM Bed Divider Kit FL3Z-9900092-A
A little tweak to marketing and labeling and they've expanded their market and reach.

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 04:19 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
No reviews on this, looks like a nice product, call em up and see if you can make a deal Front Roof LED Light Bar Mounts | ZROADZ

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 04:31 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Here's an example of a recent conversation with a manufacturer that I can't fully disclose just yet:

Me: Since the cabs between f150 and Super Duty are now the same in 2017, I would be very interested in a kit for the SuperDuty ********* *** ******

Them: Can you shoot us a picture of your ******* ****** ****? Once we see it we will be able to confirm if it will work for you or not!

If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know! We are looking forward to serving you further!

Me: Pics sent

Them:
Yes, we can confirm that this kit will work for you! If you send us some great photos of this kit installed on your truck then maybe we can send out some other products for your truck! How does that sound to you?

Me: That actually sounds amazing! My truck is ordered and expected mid May. Looking forward to ordering ******* ****** from you and very happy to take photos and video for you. I'm active on a forum specific to the 2017 SuperDuty and will spread the word on there as well. Happy to guinea pig with measurements or whatever for you in the future to expand your market reach and get more products for the new SD's out there.

I'll keep in touch as I get closer to pick up.

Them: That sounds great Dan! Please keep us posted and let us know when you get your new truck!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the way you're thinking here Dan.

Cab should have many common measurements. I checked the beds in my lot and while the height for the box link is the same, the width of the F150 is about 1.5" narrower. This would make the tonneau covers a bust as well as bed dividers. The only lengh shared is the 8" and frankly I don't have an F150 on site to see if they are the same 8'

Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Interesting points @Frantz. Posting two pics of body builders guide. 66.9 vs 66.4 inside bed width. I wonder if this represents the shims some have reported as provided by Bak on their products.

Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2017, 10:53 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
The side window vent visors are the same between both models

As for the bed divider I purchased one like this instead. It takes up much less space when not in use.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:01 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Front floor mats are the same, rear mats are not...due to the F-150 not having the collapsible bin under the rear seat.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Jerry Weigel
Cross-Country
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Running boards the same for F150 and New SDs

We installed F150 side steps for several 17 SD and they bolt right up.

jjw
ND

Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jerry Weigel
We installed F150 side steps for several 17 SD and they bolt right up.

jjw
ND
This is an excellent example, the volume of take offs or used parts on Craigslist and EBay for F150 vs SuperDuty parts is vast. Things that come to mind also, OEM seats and seat covers, bed link parts, dash controls, etc

Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Here's a great little product marketed to the F150 crowd that will work for us BuiltRight Industries F-150 Rear Seat Release Kit ? BuiltRight Industries
HT to HRTKD

Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2017, 05:01 PM
44Dan44
More Turbo
double post edit

Old 04-10-2017, 05:42 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 44Dan44
No reviews on this, looks like a nice product, call em up and see if you can make a deal Front Roof LED Light Bar Mounts | ZROADZ
I like the looks of this light bar. I'd like to have a triple stack of these things to light up the morons who ride around with their light bars on the road.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM
reseehc_99
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DISLTom
I like the looks of this light bar. I'd like to have a triple stack of these things to light up the morons who ride around with their light bars on the road.
I met an older (90's) chevy pickup head on about a month ago after dark with one of these bars on. I blinked my high beams (on my Fusion) to remind him his light bar was on. He was nice enough to turn on and leave on his high beams and blow his train horn at me. Some people just don't care about being nice...

Old 04-10-2017, 05:56 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reseehc_99
I met an older (90's) chevy pickup head on about a month ago after dark with one of these bars on. I blinked my high beams (on my Fusion) to remind him his light bar was on. He was nice enough to turn on and leave on his high beams and blow his train horn at me. Some people just don't care about being nice...
Ugh. For the past few months I encounter an F150 with no normal head lights. Just running those angel eye things and a bunch of light bars. It's obnoxious. I always light him up with high beams. But on the old truck and car, it doesn't do much.

Last week I finally met him head on in the 250 (which has LED lighting). So I lit him up hard. He didn't like it. He started hitting me with his high beams. Which, because he is an idiot and has everything incorrectly wired resulted in all of his lights shutting off when his high beams were "on".

I just laughed the rest of the way to work. I look forward to seeing him again.

Quick Reply: The F150 to F350 Conversion Thread