2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New Truck Almost Here Now I Need A New Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck Almost Here Now I Need A New Hitch

Well, my new truck, 2017 F350 LB FX4 SRW Lariat, should be here in about a week or so. But, this post is not about the truck but about needing a new hitch. I will be towing a 40' 5th Wheel. I have always used Pull Rite sliders and they have worked great. But they are very heavy and since my new truck is a long bed I don't need the slider anymore.

So, I'm in the market for a new hitch. Should be 18K minimum, somewhat light weight, and use the Ford puck system. I was sold on the Anderson hitch but spoke to several people at the RV show today and they had some problems with it. Now I know, that is just a few and its possible they did not install it right. But it got me to thinking that I should look at the full range of what's available that fits my needs. So, I looked at BW. They look very solid, they use the pucks, the price is a bit higher than the Anderson but not too much. My biggest concern is will I be able to reach the release handle from outside of the truck. It does not seem to extend as far as others.

Curt and Reese both made hitches that fit the pucks and again, they seem solid. I know there are many other makes and models but it seems that most don't work with the pucks or they require a frame adapter to work with them and I would really like to avoid that if possible. And finally, there is always the "Ford" hitch which from what I understand is actually just a rebranded Reese hitch.

So, I am asking for some guidance based on experience. If you were in my position what would you buy and why? I've got about a week or so to make this decision and get it done.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:57 PM
ByronCR
Junior User
I am in a similar situation. I am not using a slider hitch, but I either buy the $300 adapter to use my current 5th wheel hitch, buy a new one that fits the pucks, or I spend about $1100 and convert to a gooseneck. I am leaning more towards converting to the gooseneck just so that I don't have to deal with a hitch anymore. I know this probably doesn't help you too much but figured I would toss out another option for you to look at as well.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ByronCR
I am in a similar situation. I am not using a slider hitch, but I either buy the $300 adapter to use my current 5th wheel hitch, buy a new one that fits the pucks, or I spend about $1100 and convert to a gooseneck. I am leaning more towards converting to the gooseneck just so that I don't have to deal with a hitch anymore. I know this probably doesn't help you too much but figured I would toss out another option for you to look at as well.
Going gooseneck was why I was looking at the Anderson hitch. Uses the gooseneck ball in the truck and has the adapter for the king pin. Read some good reviews on it but some folks today said there was concern about the pressure on the bed and possible warping. I know the F150 has been in aluminum for a while but doubt anyone went Anderson Hitch on a 150. So I would love to hear from someone who has a 2017 SD and uses the Anderson hitch.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM
ByronCR
Junior User
Careful using the adapters that go from king pin to gooseneck. I have heard some stories about potentially causing frame issues / voiding warranty. It all depends on who you ask as well. I am looking at completely replacing the king pin portion on the trailer and putting a direct replacement to gooseneck. Sorry for getting off track.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread since I am in the air as well as to what way I want to go.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If I go with a rigid hitch, I'll likely get the b&w companion. If I go with air bags in the hitch, I'll likely get a bd3.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Fowlthing
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got the Anderson and love,it so far. Very light and pulled great. Only pulled it for one trip.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ByronCR
we have the Reese goosebox and like it. It rides very nice and doesn't take up any bedspace. I'm pulling mine off today if your in the Houston area and will make you a steal of a deal. Selling the camper on Tuesday hopefully

brett

Old 01-08-2017, 08:36 AM
shortedout96
Junior User
I would steer away from Reese, with Reese you are paying double for a hitch not fully made/manufactured in America, or not made in USA at all. I was going to get a Curt for my new truck, but do to it being a SB I decided on Demco Autoslide. American made of American steel!

I had the B&W companion on my 08' and Liked it but I also like the Curt they are both quality hitches.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:03 AM
jkclark
5th Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greengas
Going gooseneck was why I was looking at the Anderson hitch. Uses the gooseneck ball in the truck and has the adapter for the king pin. Read some good reviews on it but some folks today said there was concern about the pressure on the bed and possible warping. I know the F150 has been in aluminum for a while but doubt anyone went Anderson Hitch on a 150. So I would love to hear from someone who has a 2017 SD and uses the Anderson hitch.
I now have 10,000 plus miles towing with my Anderson with no trouble. My truck is a 2016, but not sure how much it matters except bed rail height. Good luck.

New to me 2014 Work & Play, sorry for night picture. That was my home for the night, Walmart parking lot in South Georgia

Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found a Reese Elite 25k on craigslist for $500, after reading another post on this site saying to try that. I became a supporter after that. I actually had a $1,600 one on order, and ended up cancelling it. This forum saved me ~$1,100.

I haven't towed with it yet, but it dropped right in and fits the pucks perfectly <<after adjusting for the bedliner>>(as expected).

Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jkclark
I now have 10,000 plus miles towing with my Anderson with no trouble. My truck is a 2016, but not sure how much it matters except bed rail height. Good luck.

New to me 2014 Work & Play, sorry for night picture. That was my home for the night, Walmart parking lot in South Georgia
That is one beautiful rig. What is the trailer? Is it a 40RLS? Looks AWESOME!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
The Reese Elite is the Ford hitch. Ford private labels the Reese Elite under bed puck mount as well as their hitches. I used a Reese Elite 25k for 5 years on my current 2012. It did get a bit noisy but functioned flawlessly. I sold it on CL for $700 and decided to try something different. I ordered a Curt Q25 on CARiD for $659 and free shipping. They also do a military discount so I got another 10% off that price. https://www.carid.com/curt/q25-serie...mpn-16039.html One benefit of the Curt is it's shorter than the Reese and the B&W. B&W also makes a hitch for the Ford prep but is rated lower at 20k and is MUCH taller. With the new trucks being so tall, certain RV's would be nose high with the B&W even with it at it's lowest setting.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
If you are a Pullrite guy"

Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 AM
snickers104
Junior User
Originally Posted by 191124x7
I found a Reese Elite 25k on craigslist for $500, after reading another post on this site saying to try that. I became a supporter after that. I actually had a $1,600 one on order, and ended up cancelling it. This forum saved me ~$1,100.

I haven't towed with it yet, but it dropped right in and fits the pucks perfectly <<after adjusting for the bedliner>>(as expected).

I sold my Reese hitch and went with a B&W. The Reese hitch did malfunction on me. The handle looked like it went all the way...and the jaw looked like it went all the way around but it didn't. I caught it before I pulled. I read a thread on another forum where this hitch failed and dropped his toy hauler. I will see if I can find that thread....

Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 AM
snickers104
Junior User

Quick Reply: New Truck Almost Here Now I Need A New Hitch