1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck broke into.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:38 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Truck broke into.

My 2012 was broke into twice last year. Both in Holiday inn parking lots (Stockton, CA & Kingman, AZ) Both times punching out the drivers lock cylinder.

This truck has the key pad entry system on the door which will sound the horn and flash the lights when not opened with the pad or key fob. The second time before they broke in they sniped the grille cover on the passenger side and cut the wires to the horn and pulled all the fuses to the lights. Just a FYI to try and protect the horn area.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM
mark224
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st sorry to hear.
2nd will have to look into a way to guard those areas so they can't do this to mine, any ideas

Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
whoa I'm pretty shocked they went through that much effort to get in. Sorry to hear about that OP. Im interested on what we can do to prevent this?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
I'm going to see if there's another location to put it out of reach. Who would of thought of cutting the horn wire.

I think it's time to look into getting a Viper alarm system it saved my '08' once.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this. Sucks that people can't respect other people's property.

boy would the bullets be flying if I caught someone in my truck!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob89
Very sorry to hear about this. Sucks that people can't respect other people's property.

boy would the bullets be flying if I caught someone in my truck!
amen to that !

Old 01-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As someone who lived up and down southern California and in Stockton Auto theft is rampant. Trucks especially in Texas, Arizona and California are prime targets to be stolen and headed south of the border and for the ones at Home guys are stealing the diesel trucks especially for the engine parts and tailgates with the cameras.

It sucks you got your truck broken into , I have been there, but the methods they are using just shows how the thieves can do some simple things to defeat your vehicles security. The sad thing is how easy is it is to defeat some of these items like the horn, locks and lights.

You have to admit is all the things that would alert a person if an alarm was going off, and by disabling each one , it make it nice and quiet for them to do their thing and no one is the wiser.

One thing I have always had installed in my vehicles security is a siren that is buried back by the firewall, it isnt is for the thieves to get to and cut without it having gone off first, it might not do a lot but anything that might get some attention is a good thing in my book .

Obviously these arent amateur thieves, they know what they are doing and that sucks, even though manufacturers try and make their vehicles harder for theirs to steal, this juts shows that the thieves know how to get around some of the safeguards

Sorry to see your truck got broken into, but appreciate you sharing the methods of what went down so the rest of us can try and figure out some safeguards to make it harder for the *******s to get in.

I am thinking for the horn what if a guy put a u shaped bracket where the horn wire is so they cant reach in and cut because they couldnt get around the bracket, maybe something similar might work with the lights... thinking out loud of course

Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 AM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 363 Likes on 133 Posts
I got hit last year in the handicap space directly in front of the door, TownePlace Place Suites in Bakersfield. They just smashed the drivers side window. Sad part is they got in twice, first at 7:00 PM and again at 12:00, both times reported to the front desk that did nothing. Hotel didn't call the cops or anything.

i think 9mm or 12 gauge slugs will cure the next one.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:34 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
there is NO way to stop someone wanting in...

just ways to slow them down..

THANK YOU for this information... will work on installing a second horn.. else where.
and will investigate an alarm.. I understood Trucks are a large interest...
but THAT is to easy to defeat.

fyi,,, I had a 64 Chevelle SS stolen in 1969 and a 65 Impala SS 409 in 1970.
both were 4 speed cars.

a gun is to QUICK.. my opinion.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:15 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Man, that really sucks. I am totally naive about this kind of stuff. Never even considered it. When thieves are this sophisticated, what are they trying to get, if not the entire truck or the tail gate?

Steve

Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
cell phones
tablets
laptops
cash
GPS
Wife purse
wallet
some.. radio.
valuables in glove compartment

up north.. catalytic converters... using battery powered sawalls. worth 50 dollars at scrap.. but over 2k to fix.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:32 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
cell phones
tablets
laptops
cash
GPS
Wife purse
wallet
some.. radio.
valuables in glove compartment

up north.. catalytic converters... using battery powered sawalls. worth 50 dollars at scrap.. but over 2k to fix.
So not truck parts so much as what is in the truck. Man, I rather just leave the truck unlocked than have it trashed, since we always take that stuff out of the truck when we leave it.

Steve

Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 AM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 363 Likes on 133 Posts
Got my computer bag with laptop, hard drives, 20 years of data in those 4 drives, iPad, safety gear, almost like they knew exactly what they were getting. Left all my tools right in the seat.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 AM
erikkloss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
So not truck parts so much as what is in the truck. Man, I rather just leave the truck unlocked than have it trashed, since we always take that stuff out of the truck when we leave it.

Steve
Leaving it unlocked does not help imo. I have talked to a few people here that have had their windows broken to get in, even though their doors were unlocked. I think that the thieves won't open the door because it could set off an alarm, and they use a small tool that quickly and easily breaks a window without making much noise, then they just reach in and grab what they want without ever setting off alarm.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
True.. spring loaded center punch tool breaks window.. Easy.

no alarm going off, from door going open.

I have replaced many door windows... for people.

but the trucks. being higher.. not so easy to slide into thru window.. like a car.

Quick Reply: Truck broke into.