1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best auxillary light to supplement high beams? 2012 f250

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best auxillary light to supplement high beams? 2012 f250

So the high beams are horrible on this truck! I want to add either a light bar(not a cheesy one on the roof) or some square lights in the grill to supplement the high beams. What do you guys have or suggest?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Deerfield411
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an auxbeam 20 inch light bar in my bumper where the front license plate holder would be. I have it wired to a switch with a relay in the cab. It is crazy bright and I love it. The only problem is that it is not exactly legal to run it on the road in my state, PA. It does a really good job however and makes your vision much better.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Deerfield411
Senior User
Here is a picture of it. If interested I can get a picture of it on at night.

​​​​​​​

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 AM
dirty1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Deerfield411
Here is a picture of it. If interested I can get a picture of it on at night.

​​​​​​​
This is what I run on my truck. It is a rough country bracket with a knockoff LED lightbar. Mine is wired to a relay that is switched on and off by the highbeams. It works great.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Originally Posted by dirty1
This is what I run on my truck. It is a rough country bracket with a knockoff LED lightbar. Mine is wired to a relay that is switched on and off by the highbeams. It works great.
Yes. That is what I am looking for! Would love to see a pic at night and see how it is wired to the high beams.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
dirty1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bite N Hold
Yes. That is what I am looking for! Would love to see a pic at night and see how it is wired to the high beams.
I used this relay harness I bought of off Amazon. It worked great and plugged right in to the lights harness as it had a plug on the end of it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also used a headlight harness extension. On that harness, I found the highbeam wire and spliced in the switched lead to the relay harness. That way I did not cut the factory harness at all. I believe I bought that off of eBay, sorry I do not have a link.

Here is the light I used.
Strobes N More EFlood 8640 Warning Light

Here is the bracket.
https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country...ht+bar+bracket

I hope this helps. I don't have any pictures at the moment, maybe later I can get some for you. I would not hold your breath though, my day is kind of full.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Deerfield411
Senior User
I will try to get a picture tonight. I personally would not like having it wired to the high beams. I have a separate switch on the dash. It is nice to be able to selectively use it.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Bite N Hold
Senior User
Dirty, How bright is that at night? Significantly more bright than the high beams?

Deerfield- I appreciate it. It may be good to turn them on and off separately but I worry I would forget to turn them off and blind oncoming traffic.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I wired my driving lights I added a diode between the high beam light wire and the relay. This allowed me to use a manual switch to turn them on without back feeding the high beam bulb. This allows them to work either with the high beam on or by the switch

Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM
dirty1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bite N Hold
Dirty, How bright is that at night? Significantly more bright than the high beams?

Deerfield- I appreciate it. It may be good to turn them on and off separately but I worry I would forget to turn them off and blind oncoming traffic.

Yes, it is very bright. It actually washes out the headlights and illuminates pretty much everything. I can see a bit of yellowish light from the stock headlights, since I never changed out the bulbs. That is one of the next things on my list to do.

I will caution you that these lights throw a lot of light out, but not at a far distance. It is great for the back roads I drive every night since there are lots of curves and such. On the highway, you would probably be better with some sort of a HID spot light, or something similar.

I did think of putting it on a separate switch, but I did not want to have to reach over to turn it on and off every time a car approached me. If I want light up front, I just turn on the headlights.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:56 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned

Sorry for my crude drawing but this is how I wired my driving lights I mounted in the grill.
They come on and off with the high beam but allows me to turn them on and off by switch as well

Old 10-18-2016, 04:27 PM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
I went the cheaper route. I use Hella FF75 auxilliary driving lights that are triggered by the Hi-Beam circuit. I tied the coil of a relay to one of the High Beam wires, and the power for the Halogens comes off of a separate fused circuit coming from the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0082848...8ZV3VEDFHTJ528

These are low-tech, narrow-beam H7, 55 watt halogens, and I use them to extend the range of my Hi-Beams. They can light up the road 200 meters (over 650 feet). I have them aimed to where the light of the stock Hi-Beams falls off.
(NOTE: some day I still want to get a 30" Rigid LED light bar for my grill.)
Name:  Truck Lights1.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  223.1 KB

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2016, 05:46 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
I went the cheaper route. I use Hella FF75 auxilliary driving lights that are triggered by the Hi-Beam circuit. I tied the coil of a relay to one of the High Beam wires, and the power for the Halogens comes off of a separate fused circuit coming from the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0082848...8ZV3VEDFHTJ528

These are low-tech, narrow-beam H7, 55 watt halogens, and I use them to extend the range of my Hi-Beams. They can light up the road 200 meters (over 650 feet). I have them aimed to where the light of the stock Hi-Beams falls off.
(NOTE: some day I still want to get a 30" Rigid LED light bar for my grill.)
Attachment 162473
Those are the same Hella FF75 I put in the grill on my 99. They fit the holes perfectly.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 PM
hoss66
Senior User
I agree with getting an auxbeam light bar. I have a 20" and it is very bright, as stated earlier it basically washes out the headlights. For less than $60 i got the light bar and the harness which is hard to beat. Another option though if you want to spend more money is the rough country kit that mounts in your grill. Here is a pic of my light bar, it has 20% tint on it and is still bright.

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Hey Hoss,
What brand bumper is that?

Nice

Quick Reply: Best auxillary light to supplement high beams? 2012 f250