2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How to fold down the back seat of a crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
How to fold down the back seat of a crew cab

So tonight I spent some time with the video scope dissecting the latch behind the larger (60%) portion of the back seat, the smaller section (40%) folds down with a strap on the side of the seat. The jack and such is behind the smaller section.

This is the latch plate at the back of the cab.

The latch:

The other side. This side has a small metal "nub" sticking through an opening, right side of latch in the picture. This nub is what actuates the latch

To operate it you will need a long screwdriver. As you can see in the picture below (this is a top down shot of the latch, left side of picture faces rear of truck), when the seat is latched the nub is accessible from the opening on the left (between the latch plate and latch). Feel around behind the top of the seat, it's pretty easy to find (behind the headrest). Get your screwdriver into the left opening. You want the screwdriver to be on the seat side of the nub, then push the nub towards the rear of the truck, it should release fairly easily. Hopefully this makes sense. Once you know what you are doing it can be done in about 5 seconds.

Seat folded down.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip. Why would you need to fold the 60% down though if it's not designed to now? Just curious. Can't you fit everything you would need by just putting the bases up?

Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
I just wanted to see what was back there.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
LOL...now I see why they didn't want it to fold. Little black box and flux capacitor !!!

Old 10-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Curious why The Company keeps it a big secret?

Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Ambot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a decent size amp. I imagine the aftermarket will have some good plug and play options for upgrades with the sub and amp so easily accessible. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
I glad to see I wasn't crazy when I said it's a different design than the other lower trim levels and super cabs.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:11 AM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Screwy, this is a great write-up. What I really want to know more about though are the details on your video scope.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great tip! Question, can anything be stored behind there?

Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 AM
screwy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rocket_scientist
Screwy, this is a great write-up. What I really want to know more about though are the details on your video scope.
Whistler WIC-3509P Wireless Inspection Camera Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087WRRPE..._p668xb09YFB3G

Works great, bought it for a spit plug on a 5.4 so I could see what I was doing. Countless uses thereafter.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by screwy
Whistler WIC-3509P Wireless Inspection Camera Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087WRRPE..._p668xb09YFB3G

Works great, bought it for a spit plug on a 5.4 so I could see what I was doing. Countless uses thereafter.
That is a bargain compared to $250 to $350 for the Wilfukee editions. Wish I hadn't seen that, "Step away from the one click buying and put down the mouse"

Old 10-04-2016, 09:46 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasty1
Great tip! Question, can anything be stored behind there?
I'd be careful about surrounding the amp too much...those fins indicate a fair amount of heat being dissipated. Likewise, surrounding the subwoofer could either insulate and dull the bass, or make it rattle.

The sub in the previous generation is larger.

It's a shame there is so little storage behind the rear seats now. I used to carry my tow straps and shackles back there; you could easily mount a fire extinguisher and first aid kit back there, too.

It seems there is less *dedicated* storage in the back of the 2017? I'm reserving judgement on the pop-up storage compartment under the rear seats. It looks flimsy and certainly does not fold totally flat into the floor, but I'll have to try one first.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:52 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Curious why The Company keeps it a big secret?
There is so little space behind the rear seats they figured it would not be necessary for the user to go behind the seat with the amp / sub. However, there is a reason for the user to get behind the seat where the jack is stored. The reason the latch exists on the sub / amp side is so that dealer service can access this equipment in the event of a malfunction.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
There is so little space behind the rear seats they figured it would not be necessary for the user to go behind the seat with the amp / sub. However, there is a reason for the user to get behind the seat where the jack is stored. The reason the latch exists on the sub / amp side is so that dealer service can access this equipment in the event of a malfunction.
And for many they might want to search for the Happy Meal toy to end the ear splitting screams and eventually remove the french fries to keep it neat!

Old 10-04-2016, 10:28 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rasalas
And for many they might want to search for the Happy Meal toy to end the ear splitting screams and eventually remove the french fries to keep it neat!
That too, haha.

Quick Reply: How to fold down the back seat of a crew cab