6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2016 6.7 getting louder???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 6.7 getting louder???

Now first let me start off by saying the trucks is running great great mileage still tons of power no problems however I have one small complaint it seems since the first oil change with Mobil 1 about five thousand miles , as I'm driving the audible rattle and turbo spin up sound is quite prevalent? It's getting to the point that on certain job site young guys are asking me when did I delete the EGR and whether I used a banks open exhaust system?? what the hell is a banks ?? I have a very good friend with a 2014 that so quiet you can't even hear it. Will this be normal that it will continue to get louder , I honestly put off buying a diesel for this exact reason I didn't want to listen to a tractor chugging down the road I hear enough of that on my farm with my 3 cylinder tractors. Why are the 14 models so quiet what's so different about the 15 and up?? I know they said it has a larger turbo but it can't just be that ?? and is there anything I can do to quiet it down?? lol i know i am old, but even i can hear that rattle its getting old fast like me thanks

Old 02-05-2016, 07:47 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you add a video clip so we can hear your issue?

Not sure what your issue is but on my 2015 I had an exhaust thermal couple blow out while I was driving home. It started getting louder and louder until it completely came out of the thermal well. Other then making a lot of noise, I had no other indication. My truck was maybe a month old if that. Hope it helps.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 AM
radium
Elder User
Thanks I should have explained that I already had it at the dealer there's nothing wrong with the truck according to mechanic. I was just wondering if I'm the only one who has a louder than normal 6.7 or anyone else out there believes their truck is getting louder too? A few of the mechanics at the shop agree it's incredibly loud but that's a good thing they think the amount of high mileage I put on the vehicle "almost time for second oil change" in the short amount of time i owned it "2 months" and the weight it's been pulling probably added to it breaking in nicely they should sit in that everyday take care

Old 02-06-2016, 04:35 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
When it's cold during warm up it's louder for sure..And I notice it takes a long time to get warm..long time..driving for 30 minutes and it's still not up to temp.
So maybe your temps are down and or the oil they used is not the right weight oil or different enough to make it louder..

Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Try some extra lubing like pm22 see if that quiets it down some.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:58 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As bkuuz said, if you could post a video from inside and outside the truck, that might be helpful for us to determine if it's abnormally loud. I don't know how true it is, but I remember reading some posts on this and other forums stating that the '15 and '16 trucks are a bit louder than the '11 - '14, and the theory was the beefed up fuel system might be the reason. I'm coming from a '96 7.3 Powerstroke, which is as loud as you can get behind a 12-valve Cummins, so this new beast is almost too quiet for me.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:13 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
We don't know where your excess noise is coming from. Exhaust? Bottom of engine? Top of engine? Transmission area? Under load? Idle?

Anyway, I have had diesel clatter from low cetane fuel. Try buying fuel at a different station and adding the maximum amount of a cetane booster.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 PM
radium
Elder User
A lot of good suggestions thank you as far as where the noise is coming from it's an overall loudness is the easiest way to explain it I'll try to get my daughter to videotape it and posted to the web. It doesn't matter whether it's idling or under load going up a hill rattles and bangs like a 7.3 that I used to own years ago, the reason I gave up on diesel couldn't stand listening to it. you gotta understand I grew up on a farm my entire life I've had tractors with ponny motor to start them 2 cylinder diesels old John Deere 820 two cylinder diesel series that's what it reminds me of when I was young kid working on the farm that constant noise can't stand it ,but as far as the trucks running it's incredible mileage power just getting noisy mechanic says nothing he can do its in perfect shape he says he wishes his was that way lol I guess I'll just get used to it I'm just amazed no one else thinks they're is louder and I mean quite a bit louder not at idle but under load Wow that's some noise take care

Old 02-06-2016, 08:26 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The reason our trucks are so quiet now is because of the way the fuel is injected during the compression stroke. The high psi fuel rail and ceramic injectors allow for up to 5 separate injections per stroke which significantly quiets the overall combustion event and spreads the noise over a larger period of time.

There are times however when I swear that pilot injection turns off and the truck sounds like diesels from the old days. It seems to be just before a regen and it's only for a short time (minute or less). I have no hard data but this truck can definitely change its tune depending upon what the computer tells it to do. Just throwing this out there but if your truck's PCM is not allowing pilot injection properly, there will be lots of extra noise.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 AM
radium
Elder User
Thank You epic cowlick that sounds like logical reasoning but unfortunately the truck was at the dealer for 2 days to try diagnose the sound I believe they would have found this issue . If you do not know I had a truck originally that had the jackhammer effect and lack of power that was basically arbitrated this is not anything like that when this truck goes into regen the only thing I notice is a fuel consumption 9 mpg but luckily due to the long drives and heavy trailers my regen cycles are less than 15 minutes. Roughly every 600 miles. I'm going to try and get an audio recording whene i figure a way to post it, it's definitely not a problem with the truck it's just a diesel sound as the young mechanic said to me you're complaining about a diesel sounding like a diesel I sort of laughed as long as it keeps getting the mileage its getting and the power it has I'm more than happy with it and I would recommend it to anyone that's looking for a new truck take care

Old 02-07-2016, 06:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I am sure they did a buzz test of all the injectors and found nothing.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:30 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick

There are times however when I swear that pilot injection turns off and the truck sounds like diesels from the old days.
My theory on this is it happens with low fuel cetane. The pilot charge is early and has less compression heat for ignition so the fire isn't started. Then the main charge enters under more heat and pressure and bang, diesel clatter. That's why I suggested the OP change fuel stations and try a cetane booster.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Radium,

just to confirm that you are using the Mobil 1 for Diesels. They make a 5-40w that is not good enough for diesels.

That said, I have had the exact same experience with Mobil 1 using oem oil filters. 5k miles with original oil, 15-40w from then until 10k during heavy towing and hot summer. Then at 10k, put in Mobil 1-. At about 13k it started rattling on and off, regardless of load or none, outside temps or operating temps, and mainly just as I accelerate off of idle. Then quiet running. Quiet when idling most of the time, but not always. No "oil change "tick"," just rattle. No vibration, just rattle. If I back off the throttle, then start over, half the time the rattle come back, half not. But only rattles fir a few seconds as I accelerate. Nothing cruising loaded or empty, even if downshifting because of a load on a steep hill. Definitely not regen related.

So, at 14k I changed the oil and filter just in case. Same exact rattling imediately. I am approaching 20k with no change. Spring is coming. I will likely try a different full synthetic oil when I change oil and filter - Shell's T6, etc.

I use ford or stanadyne year round blend fuel additive every fill. No difference in noise with one versus the other. Filled up at truck stops all over the country -no difference.

I believe that my clatter is too tinny to be valve train noise, more probably injector clatter. But why wouldca different oil would do that? I to will try to get a recording posted...

Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 AM
radium
Elder User
Mobil 1 5w 40 is for turbo diesel full sny meets oil requirements and them some dealer says the oil is fine for that 6.7 its quitter then the 10 w 30 that came in it don't know where you heard its not ????

Old 02-07-2016, 09:43 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Radium,

Mobil 1 makes a 5W-40 for diesels, and a 5W-40 for cars.

The one for diesels meets all specs. I have used Mobil1 5W-40 for over 20 years with zero issues, including my 2011 6.7. It should not be the cause, but if rattle goes away when I change the oil brand, I won't use Mobil1 with with this rig. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by radium
Mobil 1 5w 40 is for turbo diesel full sny meets oil requirements and them some dealer says the oil is fine for that 6.7 its quitter then the 10 w 30 that came in it don't know where you heard its not ????

Quick Reply: 2016 6.7 getting louder???