Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
pro70golfer14
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Cylinder Replacement (Without the Key)(With Pics)

Ok so recently I lost the key to my Silver Truck. Been looking for a week and a half so i decided i had to do something. The normal precedure for doing this is tearing it down to the cylinder( which is hardly enough work to be called a tear down). Then turn the key to on and press the silver button on the bottom side of the cylinder and it will release.

But like stated before i had no key so here was my remedy. I have heard that you can drill the pin out which seems to be the best and easiest option but you cant hardly do it without ruining the housing that encloses the key cylinder.
Here is the hole and pin i am talking about. Unless you fill like taring your steering column down completly then i dont recommend screwing this up to bad.

So here is my solution:

Here is what it will look like obviously.

Pop of the chrome piece or black what ever one you got. Its easy.

Make sure you get just the chrome piece off and just the rest of the key cylinder is in the column.

What a idiot i didnt take a picture of just the cylinder in the column

Take a 3/8 drill bit and a 5/16 and start drilling away right where your key would go. I used 3/8 to get a big whole in the center. and 5/16 to get more off center to the sides. The point of this would be to get all the pins gone so the cylinder will move. After you got all this done the cylinder will turn and move to the on position, with your help of course.(I had to use pliers to grip it good.)

So you can imagine the cylinder in the column

This is what mine looked like after i got done mutilating it.

Put the new cylinder in like you would a new one regularly now.

The Man posing for a couple pics after I went out and gave him a nice breathing session after sitting for a week and half.

My bumper is bent i know. i need to find a new one

O ya and by the way i didnt write this to be a fully informative tech article, just to get the wheels turnin g for something to do if you are stuck with out the keys to your truck or something. And i assume ya know how to swap key cylinders and understand how the system works.