View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you found it Dave gave me a lot of info on what he needed to do to keep his engine together. I'm completely happy with my 093/3" down pipe. I didn't go as crazy as Dave so I didn't mill my pistons to reduce the compression ratio, so with that I'm setting my limit at 14-15psi boost. If I remember right Dave had trouble keeping his intake manifold sealed at 18psi and had to make his own grade 8 studs. I took his and others advice and triple copper sprayed my intake valley pan gasket but I kept the intake bolts instead of going with studs. I found that all i had to do was tighten up my waste gate a few turns and turn up the fuel and it'll make 14psi under load no problem. I didn't even have to wrap my up pipes. (Though I might do that at some point this spring just to increase the boost onset and try to get higher boost level at lower EGT) However at this point in time I believe an intercooler would be a big benefit. I had no trouble stomping on the go pedal and getting the EGT to ramp up rather quickly to about 1200* and I'd have to back off. So for now I've backed off the fuel a tad and run about 10-12 psi under load and it stays around 950* (haven't pulled my 30' travel trailer yet though which is when I see the higher #'s).

What I'd really like to do is tee in my tuneable EFI system so I could use it to log intake air temperature along with the boost level and EGT levels. I'm sure it's probably running ~250* IAT. But my to-do list is longer the my want-to list!