Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI guys, if you have an automatic trans, then you have to add a load compensator inline with the brake lights if you change to LED. For example, our tail lights, which are 3157LL bulbs... at 12.8VDC have a 26.9W or 2.1A load... a compatible LED 3157 only has about a 3W or .25A draw. So you have to wire in a 6ohm 50 W resistor in the brake light circuit so that the computer doesn't think that a bulb is out.

Reason for all this hokus pokus is because out torque converter lockup circuit operates using the brake light signal. If the TC lockup circuit senses a closed circuit, then it won't lock the TC because it thinks you are on the brakes. With the low internal resistance of an LED, the circuit appears to be closed to a clumsy circuit built in the mid 90's, but with the addition of the resistor it will operate correctly. Here is a link to help with visuals and such:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/...istor_info.pdf

our turn signals use the same light circuit that the brake lights do, so wiring the resistor in correctly will solve fast flash and TC lockup issues. For those of you with manual trans', all you are going to deal with is a fast blinker because the flasher relay thinks a bulb is out so it flashes real fast due to the low draw circuit... so it would benefit yall to read this too so that you can fix your blinky problem! hah! hope that helps ya somehow in reference to the LED upgrades yall were talking about. Oh and if you do decide to get the LED bulbs to upgrade, make sure you buy the 360 deg dual contact 3157 replacement bulb towers like these:

45-LED Tower Type 3157 Bulb Specifications

make sure you order the red ones... reason for buying these in particular is so that the bulb tower projects light throughout the reflector dish inside of the taillight housing and lights the whole housing instead of just having a hotspot in the center from outward facing led's only. Here is an example of the type of resistor you need to buy:

Load Resistor Kits

Any q's on this tech spec craziness, feel free to ask guys, and I hope I can at least save one person a headache down the road.

ATTENTION: I AM NOT REPPING OR SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE BUY SUPERBIGHTLED PRODUCTS, NOR AM I REPPING THEM AS A DEALER, THEIR WEBSITE WAS JUST HANDY TO HELP EXPLAIN AND GIVE EXAMPLES AND PICTURES