Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
The thing that makes a tire fryer out of a 393 is the cam for the most part. For example, a 2bbl 390 pickup engine is a pretty docile beast, due to the low compression, roundish cam and small carb. Peaks out at what, 4400 rpm?

Sooo, take the 351w and add some stroke out to 393. Replace everything else as stock. You'll have a bit more power and it will come on at lower rpms. You have to watch the CR here, as a little puppy of a cam won't bleed off cylinder pressure like a lumpy one, so figure 9-9.5 max.

You can ratchet up the power with better heads, more agressive cam, manifolding etc.

As for your trans, fwiw, I would simply find a good C6. And I'd find a 351w block and start from scratch and just replace the whole works.

I agree with you up to this part. Isn't this just causing more hassle for me? I mean, I wouldn't mind getting a brand new block... but that's bloody costly and directs my cost away from mods and would basically quarter it, wouldn't it?

I think you can do a lot with $6000 if you plan it right.

I agree. 6000 is a lot of money. If I really wanted to do something right, I'm sure I could get it under 6 grand easily.... IF PLANNED.

Regarding ebay--you've seen the cost of the kits. Why would someone let a perfect crank for for cheap? Maybe it ain't so perfect.

Yeah, I've heard about this... I looked at "kits" which were 1 grand... just starting pieces... May or may not be the best choice, but it was from a parts dealer (still doesn't mean they don't do the same thing those Ebay fiends do).

Plan it out and cost it out--you can do that for free before you start dumping money into it.

Definitely looked into this just recently since I found out about the stroker 351W's. I always plan ahead before I leap. No worries there... Good suggestion though.

Other question, and don't get me wrong. I know your truck is some valuable collector's item, but to me--. So with your truck sold to some unsuspecting collector and $6000, what could you buy?

I see what you mean. Where else could this money be used "INSTEAD OF" a bigger 351W? I'm not sure where else really. I don't think I'm going to sell the truck anytime soon, so that's not really an issue. For other purposes, this is a project I've been itching to get at for years.... University isn't cheap, but I wouldn't mind getting things started now, or at least planned out so that future mods can be made with ease and more knowledge.

The basics of what I'm trying to get out of my truck is knowledge and have a little fun doing it. I'm just exploring my horizons with this truck because I sort of fell into it over last summer and now I've fallen in love with it and what I can do with an old beast like a 78 Ranger F-150.

If I had to pick something off the top of my head for where the money would go if I sold the truck or where it would go instead of a stroker... I'd say motorcycle, newer vehicle (something from 2005+)... my current car is a "grocery getter" from 1996... or after I'm done school, for my payments...

School payments and newer vehicle/newer motorcycle isn't really in reach, so I think it's best spent or it'll just sit in bank account haha.

Just a thought. They ain't Faberge eggs or nuthin'.....
Originally Posted by Conanski
Well that's easy just let it breath.. ie: better than stock cam, heads, and exhaust.

Yeah that's possible if you build it with a TQ biased powerband, but if you really want "fuel milage" you'll go find a transmission with overdrive.

Well I'm not looking for no Turbo Cummins here with 28 mpg... just not a massive decrease in my mileage. I don't want to have to fill up a 40 gallon daily driver every time I pass a gas station.

No problem.. just put quiet mufflers on it and whatever you do.. don't paint it red.

I've had red vehicles... I understand your statement completely haha. This truck will be a deep rainforest green with a possible tutone tan, silver or white. Still leaning on just 1 colour, but I'm prepared for 2...

Well now you're being silly. Doesn't matter what trans you start with it will need to be beefed up a bit, that doesn't mean spend $5k on it that just means use high quality parts and address and trans specific weaknesses.

Well.. depends what gear ratio you're starting with.

This question I can't even answer. I'm too much of a newbie to my own vehicle to understand or comprehend the gear ratio. I'm sure it's not hard to find out, but I'd be killed if held at gun point and asked how to find it...

6 Grand!! That's more than what I would consider for a "budget" build and I think you can do it for significantly less.

Music to my ears. That's good to hear. I threw a value out there because I live in Canada and what most folks around here say (form the states) isn't exactly realistic where I live.... Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Think I could do my build for a measely 3 grand? Tranny and all the fixin's included?

So I read up on what someone else had posted for advice on reading materials... Thanks! It helped a lot!

What I'm looking for is a longer stroked 351W for a daily driver that gives me that large torque and power at lower RPMS. This vehicle won't be screaming "mercy" when it hits 7K RPM simply because it'll never get there.

To me it looks like I should try to build a 408W because it hits up to 500 hp but is seen as a daily driver that doesn't really go anywhere near 5K rpm.

I do however want "a smile that comes to your face when you mash the pedal".

Mashing the pedal won't be done a whole lot, but it sucks not being able to do it period haha.