Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I went thru this with DC, called them and talked to them about it. There were two problems; one, the process they use to put the bends in the felts causes the felt to separate from the backer. Second, their clips are pure chinese trash.

They sent me a total of three sets, the manager said that they looked at them as they were packed to make sure they didn't have the separation. By the time they got to me, almost every one was separated.

Their clips (which AFAIK almost everyone uses) differ from the original design, they have three nibs (?) that snap into the hole vs. 4 on Henry's clips. The real problem is the steel used; whuile Ford clips are a high-tensile unfinished spring steel, the new clips are a steel that has no spring tension, it bends like a paper clip. If you can get them into the hole (50-50 chance), they don't spring back out to hold them in. When you crimp them onto the felts, they fall right off. I had enough 50+ yr old Ford clips to hold mine in or I would be screwed.

I told DC all this and got no real response. I also told them there was no excuse for them not installing the clips in the proper position, it really requires a special machine to set them. Every truck I've looked at had the holes in the exact same place, not like they are hand-drilled on the assembly line.

Attached Images