Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Junior User

joezzz is starting off with a positive reputation.
installation help on anti-rattle install kits

I have purchased an anti-rattle kit for my F-1. The problem how do you install those little clips that hold the weather strips at bottom of the door window opening?. It seems simple enough, however after inserting them into the hole, it takes little pressure on the weather strip to pop the entire strip out.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well Joe, I dont have the Answer to your question but am definitly interested in some replys of the people who do know. I will probably be tackling this chore myself hopefully within a couple months on my 52 F-6.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who has some tips on them.

Cheers

Josh
Old 11-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Joe,I replaced the ones in my truck a while ago.Even though they were from the best supposed reproduction manufacturer of rubber parts,I am less than happy with them.They're not very high in quality, in my opinion.

My friend had his Brand X 50's truck professionally done,and the difference in quality between my kit and his custom made ones is pronounced.Next time,I'll go that route.
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 11-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Elder User

mytbtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought a set from Carpenters and they were pure junk. I got another set from Vintique and they were far superior to Carpenters. They were also chrome instead of black fuzzy inferior quality. I put a mark on the door where the holes were and marked the strips there and installed the clips. I then used a stiff piece of wood like a paint stirrer to push the clips in. It was very frustrating but they turned out ok. I will get a better picture with the window rolled down to show them better. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbtruck View Post
I bought a set from Carpenters.....[/IMG]

I was trying to be diplomatic,and didn't name names, something I normally wouldn't give a rats' *** about.Don't know what got into me.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
I was trying to be diplomatic,and didn't name names, something I normally wouldn't give a rats' *** about.Don't know what got into me.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Senior User

BBKtech2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First, I bend the ends of them to match the curve of the window opening. Then flatten out the metal end so it can fit between the sheetmetal and the window channel. Carefully place the flatened end between the window channel and guide the anti rattle strip into place. I use small needle nose to guide the clips into place. As they start falling into place, I use a big slot blade screwdriver to 'set' the clips. Center the blade over the clip and pull the screwdriver towards you. You'll hear the clip 'set'. Make sure it goes all the way up to the division bar.
When your replacing all the door glass and channels with new, besure to check the gap in the door where the window rolls down into, where the anti rattle strips go. You need to be able to stick your fingers in down to the second knuckle to have enough clearence for the windows to roll up and down easy. (53-56 F100's)
Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I went thru this with DC, called them and talked to them about it. There were two problems; one, the process they use to put the bends in the felts causes the felt to separate from the backer. Second, their clips are pure chinese trash.

They sent me a total of three sets, the manager said that they looked at them as they were packed to make sure they didn't have the separation. By the time they got to me, almost every one was separated.

Their clips (which AFAIK almost everyone uses) differ from the original design, they have three nibs (?) that snap into the hole vs. 4 on Henry's clips. The real problem is the steel used; whuile Ford clips are a high-tensile unfinished spring steel, the new clips are a steel that has no spring tension, it bends like a paper clip. If you can get them into the hole (50-50 chance), they don't spring back out to hold them in. When you crimp them onto the felts, they fall right off. I had enough 50+ yr old Ford clips to hold mine in or I would be screwed.

I told DC all this and got no real response. I also told them there was no excuse for them not installing the clips in the proper position, it really requires a special machine to set them. Every truck I've looked at had the holes in the exact same place, not like they are hand-drilled on the assembly line.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Great Info All, thanks for the info and pictures too.
I really like the look of the Chrome trim pieces from Vintique? any Chance you can post a link to their website? I did a quick search but don't think I found the right thing. ?
I can forward the link to my wife as she wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas Hey, this is her truck! Im just polishing her up...

Cheers

Josh
Old 11-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Josh,apparently their site is under construction.Here's a contact email address:

Info@Vintiqueinc.com
Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Junior User

Thanks for your reply. I will contact Vintiquenic, as the set that I have came from the same source you used. Disappointing as my experiece with D.C. has been very good.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Junior User

I am glad to hear that you experienced the same problem and diagnoised the poor design of the replacement units. I will try to salvage a few of the old ones, but unfortuantely I don't have enough to do the both the in and outside pieces.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Elder User

The anti-rattler kits I got for my 48 were Vintique. I found the invoice today. I ordered them from Truck and Car Shop in Orange CA.They cost me $29 plus $11 shipping. They were already bent for the hand hold to use for shutting the door. I had some from Carpenters but scraped them after trying to shape them. I posted a picture of them and thought someone had asked about them. Larry. Web site is (truckandcarshop.com) I have the part # 48-17850 48-52 FORD WINDOW WEATHERSTRIP $29.00.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:14 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbtruck View Post
The anti-rattler kits I got for my 48 were Vintique. I found the invoice today. I ordered them from Truck and Car Shop in Orange CA.They cost me $29 plus $11 shipping. They were already bent for the hand hold to use for shutting the door. I had some from Carpenters but scraped them after trying to shape them. I posted a picture of them and thought someone had asked about them. Larry. Web site is (truckandcarshop.com) I have the part # 48-17850 48-52 FORD WINDOW WEATHERSTRIP $29.00.
Do they have the clips already attached?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Do they have the clips already attached?
The clips were not attached but I had tried so much with those ones I trashed until I had it down pretty good. The clips with these were much better than Carpenters. They seem to be staying in good but the ones from Carp. would just fold up when you tried to snap them in.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 PM