View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Suspension Upgrades ??

2000 E250, 5.4l, 4R70W, Michelin LTX 245/70-R16 @70psi, new ball joints, tie rods/ends and center link, fresh shocks, urethane bushings in radius arms, axle pivots, Hellwig HD front and rear sway bars. Brakes stock but fresh...Mobility Works raised roof with extended height rear doors. Front end wise the only not yet changed is the steering box and U joints for the steering column. Loaded weight with me and 1/4 tank of fuel is 7400 pounds. Typically that is the highest weight this truck ever sees, never pulling a trailer----no hitch, no need/desire.

I'm looking for better handling, especially during evasive manuevers avoiding careless drivers on my local roads and highways. Better shocks ("premium" NAPA gas charged) might add a bit but I'm fully convinced the stock coil spings need to be changed (240K miles) to a higher rate. I'm told the E350 and E250 share the same front spring. Rear springs are okay according to my spring shop which to them means no cracks in the individual leaves and the main leaf is arched properly still.

Anyone here have any experience with increasing the handling characteristics of these beasts? A friend's '99 E250 (138K miles) seems to be much "tighter" which I'm not sure can be attributed to its lower mileage (no apparent front end work done so far). I've been looking for different springs but seems the E Series aren't as well supported in the after market.

Would appreciate any ideas or suggetions on this possible upgrade I'd like to do.

Thanks---great site by the way!!

J W