Old 04-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow
That's good news on the pan. So you're saying you can't pull the front clip on these trucks? Sorry I haven't worked on anything new really , but have lots of experience on older vehicles.

I don't mind cutting the rad support and could even weld it back up after.. I have a plasma cutter, welder etc. Does that let you get the front grill/rad out of the way so you can pull the accessories and timing cover?

Like I say I don't think it will be that bad inside. If it did spin a bearing it would be very recent as I do believe him when he says it wasn't making any noise on the resent trip. So in theory the only knocking it's done has been at idle and only for a few seconds. I will definitely check the bearings when I have the pan off though.

Hopefully I will find out more soon.

Thanks for the great info!
Take a look at a Expcursion radiator support, it unbolts and you have access to the entire front of the engine. Ford made the Expeditions and Navigators as uni-bodys bolted to a full frame, While I was doing my engine R&R on my Navigator a friend was doing the same on his Excursion and when I saw the radiator support was removable I got very jealous of the ease of getting to most everything and I came very close to getting the cut off wheels busy. If you do cut the support I suggest that you add a little material and make it a bolt in part as it really does nothing to strengthen the body. You may never have to remove it again but the next owner may appreciate the consideration.
If you've never done a late model Ford engine I suggest that you take lots of pictures with a good camera. There's a lot of stuff that has to be disassembled, unplugged and unbolted. Then it all has to go back together the way Ford built it or you will have lots of problems. Inspect all of the electronic controls like the IAC, etc. and be ready to replace some of them. one last thing, be sure you carefully clean the inside of the middle intake manifold EGR port as they get full of crud and if theres a problem there you will have to take the mabifold apart to cure it and replace the EGR valve while you're doing the job.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.