View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by the_justin
I just sold my Fleetwood Evolution popup camper I had bought when I had my 1/2 ton. Looking at getting a regular (not a 5th wheel) travel trailer. I have a 2009 F250 5.4L 4x4 Crew Cab with the 4.10 gear package (Automatic) . Checking Ford's documents, it says this configuration is good for a conventional towing capacity of 11,300 pounds.

I have found a deal on a trailer I just can't pass up. It's a 29 footer with a weight of approximately 7,000 lbs, probably a bit closer to 8,000 loaded (so says the seller). I'm supposed to drive out to another part of Alaska to pick it up. It's about a 3 hour drive each way. The trailer has no sort of WDH/Sway setup, just a traditional tow ball type tow and go setup (which is what I wanted for simplicity).

I know the Ford docs say I'm within spec, but I also know how manufacturers have a tendency to, how shall I say, embellish their statistics.

My question is, is this too heavy for this truck? My old camper was only about 3,000 - 3,500 lbs loaded and I could fly down the highway like it wasn't even there, but I've never towed anything this heavy before. My normal camping adventures take me from Anchorage to Kenai where the roads are for the most part flat. There are some minor inclines, but nothing too major. I make this drive several times during the summer months to fish (its 99% highway roads, very easy wide open roads), the rest of the year it will be parked away in a back lot.

My next question is, if it's too heavy, would it be safe enough driving the ~ 3 hours back home into town until I could get a WDH style setup done by a local RV shop?

I really want this trailer, but the only way I can get it is driving out there to Seward and towing it back into town with me. I had planned on making an offer tomorrow so I'd like some opinions. Like I say I'm a towing newbie, just had that Fleetwood Evo camper as my only tow toy. Need some advice ASAP! Normally I'd get a smaller (prolly 22-25 foot) trailer, but at this price I just can't pass it up ($9,000 fully loaded with (2) LCD HDTVs/DVD/CD !). Thanks to anyone who can offer any insight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
u want the WD hitch.. 95% of the work is at the hitch.. getting the ball setup.
the arms have a bracket that clamps over the trailer frame rails, and poof done..
and it only takes 5 minutes to hook up the arms..

I installed a 10,000lb er for my car trailer in about 25 mins, including putting the chains on the arms.. I paid $210 delivered from EBAY.. Alaska always more..
here is one to look at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Reese...efddddfb6#shId

I've done the white knuckle drive with too much weight on the hitch and no WD... 29ft travel trailer, on a safari van.. dumb.. but on an F250... maybe ok.. just take it slow.. braking will be the issue as the front will loose more traction as u brake..

Sam