View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by madcowranch
I'm surprised you or your family ever go out on public roads "since people can't be trusted to drive safely".

Look people, along with the right to operate an automobile in the US comes a lot of responsibility. The government can't be expected to think for you by listing all of the 'nots' to do while driving. Just PAY ATTENTION. It's that simple.

Why don't we ban cell phones, radios, talking, cleavage, great-looking cars, reading materials, sneezing, any movement by passengers, eating or drinking, billboards? They can all be distractions while we're driving. It's because we all in our big boy pants now and can think for ourselves. How bout locking down the climate control while the vehicle is in motion so the driver isn't fiddling with that? It's a slippery slope.

I simply want my passenger to be able to operate the nav while I'm driving. Don't start calling people axe murderers, etc because they don't need a law to tell them how to act responsibly.
Apparently we do need laws to stop people from doing these things while driving because thousands die every day because other people think they should be allowed to think for themselves because "it won't happen to me". If the navigation in a vehicle is operable while driving, it is just one more thing to distract you, added to the others you mentioned. Too many people will be tempted to use it themselves while driving alone. Don't say that won't happen. You are a fool if you believe otherwise.
I am definately not a supporter of the "nanny state". I do, however believe that government needs to enforce laws which stop drivers from being distracted... If I can't kick the crap outta someone on the side of the road for hitting me while messing with thier stupid little toy (nav), then I want a cop to hammer them.