Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 AM
90GTDan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Argo
Before jumping into the "replace a bunch of sensors" diagnostic approach that many are fond of, ensure that the basics are in order....
Originally Posted by Conanski
I'm going to suggest you do some investigation before you spend a dime on parts. First thing to determine is if it has dual tanks and if they both work and if there is a fuel transfer problem between them.. which is real common. If it does have this problem then the active tank is overflowing the other and dumping fuel on the ground as you drive. Also check fuel pressure and for the presence of fuel in the vacuum lines attached to the fuel pressure regulator and throttle body. If all this checks out then pull the codes to see if anything is flagged and fix those issues, and then do a tuneup with new filters and fluids.
Bolding mine.

What these wise individuals said! ^^ Test don't guess! A quick check of the basics will save you a lot of trouble.

What you describe sounds like something I have encountered before on these trucks. I have replaced a number of fuel pressure regulators on the fuel injected sixes. Don't know what it is about this model. A check of the fuel pressure is definitely one of the first things to verify. With a bad regulator you can see well over 100 lbs of fuel pressure! They will run, but not well. It may also run for a couple of minutes before teh pressure goes batty on you. If that is the problem make sure you change your oil also because it will be full of fuel.

Recap: Check the basics and go from there!