View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Marshall
I bought the truck about 4 months ago from a guy up in Salt Lake, so Im not sure who did the filter last. Is there any kind of precautions I should take installing the new one? I have seen that brands can play a key role in this, how are "luber Finer" from autozone? Should I get something else? Im new to diesels (this is my first one) and can use all the help i can geth
The center post of the fuel filter is spring loaded shut when the fuel filter is removed. I know this for a fact because since I installed my AIRDOG 2 fuel pump, I was going to eliminate the secondary fuel filter to reduce restriction on fuel flow. Won't work. Motor will not start. Installed a new fuel filter and motor lit right off. When the filter is removed, fuel is shut off to the injectors.

Suggest you use Ford or Racor filters.

When you install the filter, be sure to attach it to the palstic filter top first. Then push straight down until the cap is seated against the housing. Without releasing the pressure, start threading the cap back into the filter housing.

Probably the reason your center post is broken is when the filter is installed on the center post, it does not go all the way down. When the cap is put on, the hole in the filter top does not engage properly with the little fingers in the top. When the top is screwed down, the filter ***** and puts side stress on the center post. Since the post is plastic, it snaps. Been a lot of pictures on this site with crushed and twisted filters due to improper installation.

DSMMH