View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
One more "silly" question. Is the steering linkage different? I know my current tie rods/ends are in fantastic shape, but I have doubts about the ends on the 4wd since it has been dormant for over 10 years.
If the tie rods can be left alone, I'm in good shape. If they have to be 4wd parts, I may have to drop a good sized chunk of change on new ends.
I plan to inspect and repack/replace any parts that need attention, and I remember the tie rods/ends can get rather pricey from my parts counter days.....
Ball joints, wheel bearings and u-joints are pretty much a given for needing a close inspection, with a repack or replace as needed. So is a total fluids (trans/transfer/diffs, brake/clutch) change.
Hopefully, my current starter will hold out long enough to facilitate rebuilding and swapping the nose at one time, rather than a return trip to the rebuilder. It's acting up occasionally, so a rebuild is due soon.
I'm planning to keep the ol' truck around for many years to come, whether I can get the 4wd swap parts or not. I've had a 3.25 ratio pumpkin for a while, but never got around to swapping it for the stock 2.75 gears. Looks like it may get put off permanently.......