View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by xirxious
It looks like with these things you can select one battery, the other or both? Probably overkill, those disconnect switches are $4 at HF. Do you use a voltage gauge that shows both batteries or just wire up with a 2 position switch to check one then the other?
If I am on the same page you are, what you have is technically not referred to as an isolator. The catalogs call it a "battery selector switch". Since it serves the same function as an isolator, what you are doing is manually choosing which battery you are using or charging, although there are dozens of ways to wire it in.

I am not exactly sure what function it had in your truck. Isolators are generally passive, so you do not have to do anything to manage electrical flow. You can wire you voltage gauge with a selector switch so you can choose to read either battery, or your can simply tap the terminal feeding the switch in which case you will be reading alternator output into the switch.

I am not sure what you want to achieve with your truck, so it is difficult to be precise in my answer.

Steve