View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
96fordsport
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 explorer sport 4x4 light and windows

This is super simple and works to fix it. See the relay that controls the windows is the same relay that does the 4wd indicator light. Take off the plastic panel under the steering wheel, the take off the metal piece too. Look under there by the gas pedal. Up to the right is a black plastic box maybe 5" x 3" with black tape around it. Cut the tape off, pull the cover off, there are clips so be careful not to break them. Real bad position to work on all this. Anyways, there are 2 kinds of relays in there, a bunch of little rectangle ones and one big square one. The big square one is the problem, just pull it out, maybe some wiggling may be needed. Pull it out and bring it into autozone and they can match it. It is called the acc. relay. It was $7 at autozone and $12 at the ford dealer. Replace it and you should be good to go. If you need the part number of the relay I can get the one I got. PLEASE let me know if this fixes your problem. Also does your 4wd light go out when you turn on your headlights ? That is my problem. Hope this helps, I stiill need a solution for my problem of the 4wd light going out when you turn the lights on.