View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by onelionhunter
PS: Anyone have a dipstick and tube for sale? air ratchet twisted mine removing valve cover stud before i knew what happened

That seems to be the one part we always leave out of the instructions. Not all trucks have this issue, but when you put it all back together, remember the top nut over the dipstick tube bracket only holds the bracket on the stud. DO NOT TORQUE THIS NUT DOWN TOO TIGHT.

Sometimes there's an advantage to using an old fashioned slow ratchet to break things loose. If you would have noticed it starting to turn with a ratchet, you could have held the bracket with a pair of channel locks or something to break the nut loose.

Now you get to join the long list of folks who got to visit their friendly Ford dealer for a new tube & dipstick. I've seen pictures of a tube wrapped around an extension pretty good. How did yours look after using the impact?

If you're not in a big hurry, maybe Ed can get you a deal on the tube. The bright side is you'll be amazed how much better your motor sounds after tightening that stuff down. It's going to sound like a brand new motor.